Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
user

My solution (back to tell board why I dont need it anymore)

Everyone moans that people don't follow up when they find things that work for them, they just leave the board, so Im back to tell everyone why my acne is at least 95% better than it was 4 months ago (and for MANY years before that). My red marks / scars are at least 70% better, and improvements are ongoing.

Firstly, I am female and for my acne I found that Evening Primrose oil supplements are fantastic (no other supplement I have tried, vit C, B etc really helped me). I take 2 capsules (1000mg, 90mg of which is GLA) each day. One with breakfast and one in with dinner. I take 3 capsules a day just before and during my period. The evening primrose oil also helps with PMT and period pains. I believe it balances hormones.

My skincare revoles around helping my acne scars / red marks, as I no longer have acne (due largely I believe to the above). I believe this regimen may have helped me get rid of / keep clear of acne also. In the day after washing my face (with C&C blackhead clearing scrub, but I dont think the face wash was is too important) I then use the tape method to remove dry skin. I then wash my face again (to get rid of any sticky gunk from tape that may be on my face) when face is dry I apply Mandelic acid 15%. Followed my manuka oil (on red marks, also apply to active acne if you have any), followed by emu oil. In the evening after washing my face (and drying) I apply Mandelic acid 15% followed by glycolic acid 10%. I also do regular 40% glycolic acid peels. I can say that glycolic acid is really THE ONLY topical that can give you significant results for acne scars / red marks.

note : I broke out quite badly the first month or so of applying 10% glycolic acid daily.

also note : you may need to work up to this routine as skin may sensitive to it initially.

finally .. a list of things I have tried and no longer bother with as I dont find them very effective (I spend a period of well over 2 years trying these products, in various combinations, to finally arrive at the findings above)

CP, super CP, super COP, lactic acid peels, vinegar, BP, salcylic acid, acne miracle acnicure gel, acne miracle regulating spray, jojoba oil, bentonite clay, manuka honey, egg white/yolk, retin a (isotrex gel), lemon, godiva whitening blemish cream/astringent/soap

+ probably some others I cant even recall.

I have also tried diet. I was eating ONLY and I mean ONLY vegetables (not potatoes), eggs, fruit, honey and nuts for a period of 7 months. I was doing a stricter (vegetarian and dairy free) version of the SCD diet (specific carbohydrate diet) to help with my digestive system. It didn't help with that or my skin.

So what percentage would you contribute to glycolic and what percentage to primrose?

How long until you noticed a difference from the primrose?

Thanks for coming back to post

I'm glad your acne is cured. However, as opposed to you, EPO does not help me at all. I used to take loads of it, with no effect at all. And, Mandelic Acid, unfortunately, broke me out. Its probably because of the algae in there. I used to use glycolic acid 30%, but I doubt it helped at all. Salicylic does help me at keeping the acne at bay. As for the red marks, I use hydroquinone 4% (I know its not very good, but just for the short term), and its working. Microdermabrasion should help with my shallow scars, as I dont have deep pitted scars.

I used to use hydroquinone 2%, I think its just for brown marks tho, not red.

I would say either the evening primrose oil cured the acne, or the glycolic 10% nightly (and to a much lesser extent the mandelic acid). I stopped breaking out at the time I started using the evening primrose oil. However this might have just been the end of the initial breakout for the glycolic (about 1.5months). I think maybe you have to go through a breakout to get to an acne free state, as the existing acne bacteria you have has to come out somehow.

The scar / red mark improvement is entirely down to the glycolic (and possibly to a much lesser extent the mandelic acid).

note : skin will get dry with the glycolic, whatever people say it is my view that skin needs to get dry to flake off / peel (and improve scars / red marks). I find the tape method and the emu oil as a moisturiser in the day and using a non-drying make up is sufficient to keep my skin from being TOO flakey.

I took EPO for 2 years, so I guess thats enough time to know whether it works for me or not. As for your glycolic acid, I guess it should help, as it was written in the Acne Cure book. My acne is gone now (touch wood, dont wanna jinx myself), but I dont know what worked because I did a lot of things all at one go.

do you mean that each capsule is 1000mg? i am thinking of starting this because primrose acts as a natural estrogen. have you ever taken birth control pills for your acne? it is supposed to do the same thing but i gained 16lbs in three months of taking ortho-tri-cyclen and that only helped my acne for the first month. have you noticed any weight gain?

do you mean that each capsule is 1000mg?  i am thinking of starting this because primrose acts as a natural estrogen.  have you ever taken birth control pills for your acne?  it is supposed to do the same thing but i gained 16lbs in three months of taking ortho-tri-cyclen and that only helped my acne for the first month.  have you noticed any weight gain?

Congratulations, user.

I use a whole different protocol.

Not to put your method down, but emu oil made me break out like nobody's business. I felt sick, literally, at the sight of it. It happened over night. Fortunately the spots faded in about three days. But it was a long three days.

skin