Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foomph

My eyes are too small

So I've been watching all of these videos on makeup tutorial on you tube and learning about applying all kinds of makeup and I think I'm pretty good at it. But the eye makeup looks just look dumb on me. :confused: As in NOT good. I think it's because I have a really small face in general with small, very deep set eyes. Dark eyeshadows and the coveted "smokey eye look" just make my eyes look small. I find what looks best on me is a light pinky or peachy irridescent color. Which sucks because I have ALL kinds of darker cool eyeshadows and they just don't work on me. :(

Here are my eyes

Anyway, just a rant. :doubt:

I'm kinda like you. I can basically only do pink, too.

I got this free makeover once at a Bobbi Brown counter when this international makeup consultant guy came in and was instructing the employees on . . . stuff . . . I dunno exactly what was going on. All the makeup he picked out for me was pretty nifty, but since it pertains to this thread, the eye makeup he picked was an icy pastel pink cream applied lightly from lashes to crease and then a lightly applied matte white powder from crease to eyebrows. White seems like a weird color, but it looked completely natural and just opened my eyes up a bit. The pink was also close enough to my skin tone, that it was extremely subtle. I think it's about making everything very soft, so it doesn't overpower your features. I can't tell exactly what your skin tone is from your picture, but I think you probably should have some cool tones and be pretty fair for the pink/white thing to work.

(The last time I tried a smoky look was at my 13th birthday party. My friends made me. I wore it around all day so as not to hurt their feelings. I was dying inside.)

okay, a number one tick that make-up artist use is white eyeliner, because the wite in the liner brightens up your eyes and make them look more round.

okay, a number one tick that make-up artist use is white eyeliner, because the wite in the liner brightens up your eyes and make them look more round.

Well I;m glad I'm not the only one! I did try the white eyeliner yesterday and it does work...I used it only in the tear duct area and blended well. At least I know I'm not the only one! Thanks peeps.

Your skin looks really good! and you have uber long eyelashes which is also good. Have you tried having your eyelashes permed?

I also have small beady eyes (my ex nicknamed me gully because of my beady "seagull like" eyes) and had my eyelashes permed and tinted the other day, it really opened up my eyes :) and just looks pretty lol.

Your skin looks really good! and you have uber long eyelashes which is also good. Have you tried having your eyelashes permed?

I also have small beady eyes (my ex nicknamed me gully because of my beady "seagull like" eyes) and had my eyelashes permed and tinted the other day, it really opened up my eyes :) and just looks pretty lol.

You guys just need to play around with a bunch of colors and looks that you think might work for you. You'll eventually find something you like, if you want to.

Foomph, you would look lovely in either browns (pale, beigy with bits of gold sparkle) and pinks, maybe even a pale silvery/blue. I put a tiny dot of blue right in the middle of my eyelid and blend it into the browns on both sides, and then a pink (pale pale shimmery pink) in the inner canthus and at the brow bone. That really looks great.

It also looks nice to put the barest hint of a light goldy brown on the lower eyelids, right in the middle of the eye, sort of like eyeliner, but allow it to go even further away from the eye than eyeliner does. It opens up the eye.

The pinky color at the inner canthus of the eye and on the brow bone (right from the arch to the end of the eyebrow at the outer edge of the eye) really wakes up the face and opens up the eyes. See the Benefit High Brow and Eye Bright examples on their website to see how to do it. You don't need to buy their stuff, just find an appropriately pale pink or pearly white and see how you like how it works on you. Cream eyeshadows are very easy to apply and look very nice on your skin color (similar to mine). Your hair color is much like mine, too. Your eyes are, too!

Instead of white try a shimmery peach - as close to your skin tone as you can find - check out lip liners if you don't find any eyeliners in the right shade.

Trace the inner corner of your eye, continue across the bottom lash line all the way to the outer corner, make sort of a dash at the point of the outer corner.

Line your top lash line subtly with a darker color, continue slightly past the outer corner, following directly above the 'dash' you made with the peach.

Apply an eyeshadow slightly lighter than your skin tone to the lid, and slightly darker to the crease, blend.

Apply mascara only to the upper lash line, not the bottom.

The idea is to create an eye without boundary. By defining only the top line, and highlighting the bottom - your eyes should *pop* and appear larger :)

Hope this helps!

Thanks everyone! Last night I went out and I think I found my perfect combo: (well for now, anyway):

colorstay liquid linber in black brown-it really makes my eyes look bigger

pinky/peachy frosty eyeshadow all over the lid

Black/brown mascara

That's it. I think it worked.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Glad you found something that works for you Foomph.

I have small eyes aswell and I never use dark eyeliners or shadows as they close my eyes up more than they already are. Although black mascara opens my eyes up to the point where I have been complemented on how big my eyes are.

My wedding makeup artist applied white eyeliner which did help and I apply it occassionally still.

Don't apply a darker crease shadow. You already have a well defined crease, you don't need to emphasize that. That will just make your eyes look even more deep set. Try a gradient style smokey eye with not-so-dark shadows. Darkest shadow on the lid, mid-tone on the crease, lightest tone on the brow bone.

Pale shadows brighten up the eye area and therefore, your whole face. I say stick with that and ignore the trends.

My eyes aren't small, but they are very round, deep set and maybe a little close together. I try to elongate and widen with shadow and liner, but I can only do it a little bit. If I try to do it too much, I can't make both eyes look the same. So I think pale shadows are my best bet.

I'm prone to oily eyelids, so i stay clear from eyeshadow. I can never apply it properly anyway!!

I use coloured eyeliners instead!!

Was watching the show House MD the other day. They put eyeshadow on all their regular female actors. If I put on that much eyecolor it not only ages me, but I end up looking like a hooker. It's just too much.

That said, I usually just do liner, mascara and highlighter, maybe a sweep of bronzer or tan in the crease area for definition.

My eyes are kinda small, but here is a great trick I learned while modeling when I use younger:

-Don't use liquid eyeliner or pencil. Use shadow/powder eyeliner and angled brush. I apply above and below my eye.

-Use a single color on lid into crease.

-ALWAYS have white shadow on hand. Apply it under your eyebrows as a highlight, and in the inside corners of your eyes. If you really need to open up your eyes you can apply it on the rim below your eye.

-Eyelash curler and mascara

I only use gray eyeshadow in my crease, on my brow bone, and a slight smudge beneath my eyes to make me look slightly dead. It works, I have had a lot of people call me a vampire. Which is a compliment, IMO, in my circle.