Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scoobydoobydoo

depression is taboo in our society

It's funny really, cause every year at my university, they have this "National screening depression day" or whatever it is in the psychology department. So naturally, I went to it last year, and to my surprise, I was the only person under 30 over there. There were 4 people there in total, and some of them were there just for extra credit! Yeah, so now I just see a counselor in private. The OP is right though, people don't like talking about it. Hell, even in my health class this semestser, my class didn't even know what dysthymia, seasonal affective depression, or manic depression were.

I used to feel depressed a lot, but lately I don't really feel like that at all anymore, mainly because I just thought things over and changed the way I handle life. For some people depression might be caused by mental illness, so they can't help it. In my case this wasn't entirely true though, but being more or less clear from acne helped a lot too, but I'm not sure if it was jsut that or that I really changed my outlook. in my case my depression was also caused mainly by insecurity and feeling socially inadequate, but I just improved my social skills, started talking to random people, paying more attention to the way I look etc, I just feel so much more confident now. I don't know how much acne influenced this, I was shy and insecure before I got it.

I think my case was just more feeling depressed often than actually having depression as a clinical symptom. I think there's a big variety of people who are depressed, some might indeed have depression as a result of mental illness, others might just have to grow some balls, get their shit together and stop whining (like I did).

well, that was an interesting read. i see how many different views people have on depression.

anyway, just a little update: im going to the doctor this coming wednesday, and im hoping he can prescribe me some wellbutrin or something. :pray:

ive realised none of my friends/family can or want to hold more than one sustained discussion about my depression (cant say i blame them :lol:) the fact is even if they did want to talk about it, i dont know if that would really help me.

i cant afford therapy atm, and definately am SICK and TIRED of this.

ive been thru a lot of shit in my life, but ive rarely been srsly depressed.

honestly, i had no idea what kind of hell it is. And ive only been depressed for a month.

So yeah, i would be glad to take antidepressants. I dont think its weak, or bla bla bla.

what is weak, is sitting around my dad's house all day in a daze staring at my computer screen. :evil:

I need to get out, get a job, do better in class etc.. and i will do whatever it takes to get that. The fact is that i need HELP. Hopefully medication will be able to do that for me.

I was just watching the roseanne show and the woman was saying "the world is so fucked up, there's war, disease, starvation etc... isnt it normal that u r depressed?"

uuum, well if its so "normal" how come nobody wants to deal with it?

how is my depression helping end starvation? bring world peace?

i dont give a damn if its "normal" i just want to get rid of this fucker asap

it's always the people who know least about it, have the most to say :(

Those of us dealing with it have the least. Depression is personal, and not something easily shared, which is one of the reasons I think suicide is such a problem.

it's always the people who know least about it, have the most to say :(

Those of us dealing with it have the least. Depression is personal, and not something easily shared, which is one of the reasons I think suicide is such a problem.

and one of the reasons why we have to break the silence. people think that if nobody talks about it nobody will have to feel uncomfortable or have to deal with it. Thats why the more people that step forward and say "hi i'm _______ and i have a mental illness but that does not make me less of a person" the more people will start to show support.

I get some grief for talking about it but you know what? i'm glad i do because if it helps one person feel they're not alone then i don't go through this illness in vain.

Depression is not as taboo as being ugly. People will take a hottie depressed person over an ugly content person any day.

i think its about even. i dress up, i'm clear skinned now and everythings fine when people find out i'm legitimately crazy you'd think i said i had contagious ebola, people can't get the fuck out of there fast enough.

Depression is not as taboo as being ugly. People will take a hottie depressed person over an ugly content person any day.

if you talk about women picking men I think it would be the other way around. and for friendships too, depressed people are just much harder to interact with, no offense, but happy people are just more fun to be around.

if you talk about women picking men I think it would be the other way around. and for friendships too, depressed people are just much harder to interact with, no offense, but happy people are just more fun to be around.

true that. i've lost many friendships as they don't want "my kind" ruining the mood if i'm not happy go lucky. I don't exactly mourn those friendships, if they're going to be dicks i can do without

i was just reading a few topics about people who tried to tell their friends/family that they were feeling depressed, only to be met with complete indifference or contempt.

i really feel for these people, and i can relate, i have been very depressed for a month. I dont tell my dad tho, becuz i know its not worth it. Just yesterday, i heard him telling my mom over the phone " she's fine, just lazy as hell"

Personally, i dont buy the excuse that people dont know what depression is. Everybody has been depressed at some point in their lives. It just seems that depression is a "Taboo" something that nobody wants to deal with (or knows how to).

i think depression is scary to non depressed people

anyway, i guess the point of this is to tell people, dont neccesarily expect your family to be understanding, if they are thats great, but depression is a subject most people cant seem to deal with, so i would suggest seeking the help of a proffessional who knows what he/she is doing.

now i just have to follow my own advice :)

I to suffer from depression I have for a very long time. some days are better than others and some days are just unbarible. I am not working right now and I have worked on and off for the last three years now due to my illness. I'm not on meds trying other ways to cope like exercise. :rolleyes:

I think Depression is a bit of a dirty word...People use it too commonly to apply it to their mixed emotions and feelings about their self esteem, their life, etc. To be honest, depression isn't just a feeling, it's actually a serious psychological disorder.There are many varying reasons why people experience depression, such as loss of loved one, discontent with life in general, etc. However, I know a few people who claim they are depressed, but really there is nothing for them to be depressed about. For example: My friend's younger brother doesn't want to go to school, because he "doesn't like people." So he gets home schooled. His mum always talks about how depressed he is, but the reality is: HE IS MAKING HIMSELF DEPRESSED. People who put themselves in depressive situations think they are depressed. I'm not saying that he isn't depressed, but why on earth would you want to be something you're not? Why, if you had no reason to be in that situation, would you want to anyway? I get angry at people who claim they are depressed but do absolutely nothing to help themselves. What are we supposed to do about it if people won't try to atleast talk to someone? The reason I feel so strongly on this is because, my mum is depressed. She lost her husband to cancer, she has to deal with the stress of looking after my younger sisters and maintaining the household, and many other reasons. However, she supresses it. She is out and about, doing things to distract her from the feelings of depression. She avoids being at home knowing it will depress her, because she will sit and dwell on thoughts. It's good to see her out and about, but when I see my mum sitting in her room, I see how lonely and sad she is.

All I'm saying is, people misuse the word depression. If you can help yourself, please do it. Don't sit around dwelling on problems, it will only build up and make it worse. Why make yourself depressed if you don't have to be?

Yeah, there's definitely still a stigma- which is weird because it seems like everybody and their mother are on anti-depressants.

My boyfriend for example is very progressive- he thinks depression is an illness and that the mental health profession should be as respected as other branches of medicine... He just doesn't think that I have depression(or had rather- I'm actually doing 100x times better than I have in years!). Other people have depression, I'm just not trying hard enough. >:( I've stopped talking to him about it. I've also gotten very bad reactions from my Dad and my sister... huh, now that I think about it, I didn't get ONE supportive response from friends or family. The sad thing is too, when we hear those people say that we're just lazy or undisciplined (or attention-seekers; my favorite), we are all too ready to believe them.

I just want to send a message of hope to those out there: I've had depression for 10 years but this last year I've been doing so much better, I think in large part to cognitive behavior therapy techniques (self-taught, can't afford therapy). I thought it would never end but now I'm glad I didn't give up. :)

I really admire people like you. Ýou admit you're depressed, but your actively doing something about it, and you're not about to let it overtake your life. Good on you! :)