Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snack

Do you think other people judge our acne like we do?

I mean....this may sound stupid, but as self-conscious as I am about the way my face looks, I sometimes wonder if other people judge it the same way. Maybe this is just my fleeting way to try and win back some confidence, but I'm not so sure that people around me look on my skin with the same horror and disgust that I do. Certainly if that's the case, nobody's ever mentioned it.

Probably in the last year or so it's been the worst I've ever experienced. I wouldn't call my acne "severe," but it is very persistent. I started a round of Accutane 5 weeks ago. Even though I'm very health-conscious and have read all the horror stories, I know it's proven a tremendous success for many more people than it's damaged and I'm fed up with topicals and other meds that just aren't effective. Hopefully long-term remission and renewed self-confidence aren't far off. Although to be honest, I think this spell of acne has made me a much stronger person than I would have been otherwise. It's demanded me to look beyond the limits of physical appearance, to judge beauty on a much deeper scale than I did in the past. And I hope that when I inevitably get hitched to a total megababe she won't take my rather plain exterior as a bad thing. =P

So....I've learned my lesson from you, acne. Now GO AWAY!

I doubt it. I've heard people on various forums saying how the worst things people have ever told them was that their acne was terrible, etc. Honestly, I've never met or heard of anyone who has done that before.

High school is definately a place where you'd think teasing others about their acne is a commonplace, but actually, (at least at my school) I've never heard of this happening before. Some very popular and well networked kids at my school have full blown acne, yet that hasn't steered them from the social ladder at all.

Other people probably don't even take too much interest in "judging" someone from their acne. I admit sometimes when you're talking to someone face-to-face, it IS a bit hard to not notice someone's acne, but hey - as long as it doesn't come out of your mouth, that other person will never know, right?

We are always our harshest critic, so naturally, we'd degrade and bash ourselves because of our acne.

I doubt it. I've heard people on various forums saying how the worst things people have ever told them was that their acne was terrible, etc. Honestly, I've never met or heard of anyone who has done that before.

High school is definately a place where you'd think teasing others about their acne is a commonplace, but actually, (at least at my school) I've never heard of this happening before. Some very popular and well networked kids at my school have full blown acne, yet that hasn't steered them from the social ladder at all.

Other people probably don't even take too much interest in "judging" someone from their acne. I admit sometimes when you're talking to someone face-to-face, it IS a bit hard to not notice someone's acne, but hey - as long as it doesn't come out of your mouth, that other person will never know, right?

We are always our harshest critic, so naturally, we'd degrade and bash ourselves because of our acne.

I guess if you have like a glaring papule/cyst some really insensitive person might make a comment, but for the most part with just general redmarks and a couple whiteheads....I don't know. Nobody's perfect. I don't know about other people, but even BEFORE I had acne I tended to judge myself much, much more harshly than others.

Most of the time I don't notice unless they've been picking at it, which is kinda what helps me keep my hands of my face. I figure I'd rather have a small spot then a huge red mark that people are more likely to ask "what happened" to.

Most of the time I don't notice unless they've been picking at it, which is kinda what helps me keep my hands of my face. I figure I'd rather have a small spot then a huge red mark that people are more likely to ask "what happened" to.

To be honest, i don't let acne affect my psyche anymore. I wake up, look in the mirror, see a cpl whiteheads, my scars (minor) and think meh, theres worse out there. I never think about it, only when i wake up and go to sleep, it becomes a non issue when im talking to people. Mine isn't severe, very mild though. When i see people with acne, I dont judge them at all, maybe cause i had it?

As said above.. i don't think they really care about it.

I had quite moderate-severe acne before but i never had people at school mentioning it to me(now im 85% clear only blackheads on my forhead but they aren't that noticable). The first time i actually heard someone comment acne to some guy in my class was this year and it wasn't even that harsh.

I never mention it to other ppl either.. i don't really care about it. actually wants to make me recommend DKR, but it might offend them? :P

Others don't notice your acne anywhere near as much as you yourself do (this is in general to all). IF the person's intent is to hurt/wound/insult you, they may notice it or remark upon it, knowing that your feelings may be hurt. Your acne doesn't consume anyone's thoughts as it does yours. They notice it and then go right on.

When you see someone with an extraordinary big nose or really bad dandruff or a big mole/wart on their face, of course you notice it (we are not blind). But does it change your perception of that person?

No, because your brain has processed that information and moved on to things like what the person is saying or doing.

We all have what we ourselves call faults, but they are merely what makes us different.

How boring this world would be if everyone was perfect...it's the differences in us that make us interesting. Not to mention personality overrides looks everytime in my book.

How many friends do you have who are overweight/underweight, different skin coloured or look different in another way, yet all you really see is who they are as a person not what they look like.

Looks are only skin deep and we ourselves are the only ones who analise it.

No. I know people don't judge our acne like we do. I was clear until about March, then had severe acne. Then suddenly I noticed people at work who had acne or acne scars...and I had NEVER noticed it before. Not until I became so focused on skin. There are two people at work, one with minor/moderate ice pick scarring and some active acne, and one with fairly deep moderate scarring on her chin, and again, NEVER noticed in the past. I was just in the mall this afternoon, walking around. I saw this guy, he was really cute. I noticed when he got closer he had a ton of acne on his jawline and chin/neck. And I thought to myself..."yep, he's still really cute, I'd date him! And I'd touch his face too, wouldn't bother me a bit."

I honestly do think that people judge our acne just as we do. It is knowing how much other's judge it that makes me judge myself all the worse. I'm not a pessimist, just a realist, and people really do notice.

When you see someone with an extraordinary big nose or really bad dandruff or a big mole/wart on their face, of course you notice it (we are not blind). But does it change your perception of that person?

No, because your brain has processed that information and moved on to things like what the person is saying or doing.

We all have what we ourselves call faults, but they are merely what makes us different.

How boring this world would be if everyone was perfect...it's the differences in us that make us interesting. Not to mention personality overrides looks everytime in my book.

How many friends do you have who are overweight/underweight, different skin coloured or look different in another way, yet all you really see is who they are as a person not what they look like.

Looks are only skin deep and we ourselves are the only ones who analise it.

Exactly. There's a HUGE difference between noticing and actually caring. All of the obsessive thoughts that we have in our own heads about our appearance are NOT occurring in other peoples heads when they see us. Others care about .001% as much about what we look like than us.

Our minds have so much to do with this it's not even funny. I suggest therapy for anybody who has difficulty facing the public, because we do need to train ourselves to stop the obsession.

I always wonder how my skin looks to other people and pray that people don't see my skin half as bad as i see it.

I've had so many people tell me that they never even noticed anything was wrong with my skin until i pointed it out, and i've come to realise that maybe people don't notice our flaws as much as we do.

We definately are our own worst critics...a lot of the time we have a distorted perception of our appearance.

Even if some people do notice our skin, it doesn't mean that they are bothered by it. People should see us for who we are, instead of what we look like! :D

Some days, when mentally I can let go and be confident and ignore my face and tell myself that people don't care, I feel invincible. It's a pity, these fleeting days. It should be everyday.

No.

I also had a conversation on Friday with a friend and I was kinda depressed and he could see it. I was telling him about my anxiety and how it's hard for me to do certain things and because, at times, I always have this morose, me-against-the-world attitude, it can be frustrating dealing with me. Finally he said to me "Dude, not everyone is judging you. No one fucking cares." Blunt but true enough. Now while we vaguely talking about my anxiety, it can just as easily apply to acne. Everyone has their own problems and I guarantee your skin isn't on the top of their list of worries.

I've always thought it's just all in my head. However now i know it's not. How do i know? because I notice other people's acne.

I'm pretty sure people notice mine aswell.

minor to some cases of average acne is ok for me. When i see someone with severe acne and i talk to them face to face, i cringe.

I certainly don't judge someone for there acne, but i do find it disgusting and very off putting. i feel for them aswell as i know what there going through.

No, I don't think they judge it like we do. When I look in the mirror, I think "Lots of PIH, A healing pustule, two papules close to each other, and a painful pustule that's taking the life of god to go away. When people look at me I don't think they quite understand it in the way I do. They don't understand that 1) No shit, I know I've got zits; and 2) They are very painful and I'm doing everything in my power to get rid of them. I have the hardest time telling myself that this is NOT my fault because it constantly feels like something I did.

i think with men you can look in passing at a dude with scarring or acne and not think twice about it because its a masculine/rough/bad ass look. however, with women it might be more noticeable and therefore people might judge more. i say this as a woman because i know for a fact that it is expected that woman are supposed to look soft and pretty and i don't know a single person that could possibly find scarring or acne appealing on a female. it' just a fact.

I never judged folks with acne when I had clear skin. The only reason I even notice it on people now is because I am familiar with it.

My personal opinion is that when we look at others, we take in their faces as a whole, but when we look at ourselves, we over-focus on the flaws (ex. Acne) that are present.

Everyone is beautiful, the hard part is recognizing it in ourselves. Besides, we will all be old and wrinkly one day.