Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joylovepeace

???????How do you PREVENT scarring??????

I REALLY need to know.

I eat right, no sugar or bad carbs lots of fruits veggies etc.

I take lots of supplements.

I dont pick.

My acne is sooo minimal, just small whiteheads and blackheads.

Why am I so scar prone?

What can I do to prevent scarring so that I can try more invasive methods to remove existing scars?

Help!

mandelic acid can help acne go away quick / not scar.

Also applying manuka oil to the acne while it active and after, followed by emu oil.

I REALLY need to know. 

I eat right, no sugar or bad carbs lots of fruits veggies etc.

I take lots of supplements.

I dont pick. 

My acne is sooo minimal, just small whiteheads and blackheads.

Why am I so scar prone?

What can I do to prevent scarring so that I can try more invasive methods to remove existing scars? 

Help!

Retin-A, Accutane? Perhaps? I didn't have any scars until I started using Retin-A. I know some swear by it, but that f'ing piece of S caused me to scar. Even after I stopped using it, it left my skin prone to scarring.

I noticed that using emu oil or Vitacilina(similar to Neosporin) did prevent scars. Especially the latter.

joylovepeace, very little, if you don't get zits, you can't get scars. smile.gif I do get 1-2 very, very small zits(virtually invicible)/month and maybe a moderate one(the ones that tends to scar) once/3 months. All thanks to the vit B5 regimen. But like I said before, applying Vitacilina greatly reduces chances of scarring.

Anyway, as far as the effects of Retin-A go, I hope they only last a few years. I've been off that s for about 2½ and my skin still tends to scar very easily if not treated properly.

I know this is definetely due to Retin-A. When I was in my teens(I'm 22 now), I remember getting big cysts once in a while and sometimes I would pick on them, but they always went away very fast without leaving any scars, but once I started using Retin-A all that changed.

ptownguy, not at all. I use it almost everyday. Maybe it has something to do with the quality of the emu oil. Again, I used to have very oily skin, but since taking B5 that's changed. biggrin.gif

Retin-A, Accutane? Perhaps? I didn't have any scars until I started using Retin-A. I know some swear by it, but that f'ing piece of S caused me to scar. Even after I stopped using it, it left my skin prone to scarring.

I noticed that using emu oil or Vitacilina(similar to Neosporin) did prevent scars. Especially the latter.

Thanks for the reply. Hey I looked up the Vitacilina and it says

"(Neomicina y retinol)"

I think this means it contains retinol. Which I believe it a derivative of retin-a. :-k

ptownguy, not at all. I use it almost everyday. Maybe it has something to do with the quality of the emu oil. Again, I used to have very oily skin, but since taking B5 that's changed. biggrin.gif

The only way to totally prevent acne scarring is to prevent acne.

Some people are prone to scarring.

Make sure that you properly disinfect pimples, and use products that promote healing such as:

- neosporin

- polysporin

- manuka honey

- spenco 2nd heal

- etc....

SO if Retin-A makes your skin prone to scarring , then does that mean any product with retinol will make your skin scar from zits?

I am thinking about getting the Green Cream Retinol treatment which is said to have the hoghest percentage of Retinol 6%.

I don't want tp get it if it is going to make my skin more prone to scarring.

I don't have active acne OR Moderate Acne.

I get the occasional whitehead but thats about it.

joylovepeace, I didn't know Vitacilina contained Retinol, I just found out Vitamin A Palmitate=Retinol.

This is the list of ingredients from the tube of Vitacilina I have:

Active Ingredients:

Each gram contains-5mg of Neomycin Sulfate(equivalent to 3.5mg Neomycin)

Inactive Ingredients:

Petrolatum, Lanolin, Vitamin A Palmitate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

-------------------

...and this is what the carton says:

Vitacilina contains as active principles Neomycin Sulfate(antibiotic) and Vitamin A Palmitate. One of its multiple therapeutic uses is to fight skin infections caused by bacteria. And on the other hand, Vitamin A aids mainly in the regeneration of epithelial cells and also it has been attributed anti-infective propeties because it makes skin stronger. Even some skin disorders respond to a cutaneous treatment with Vitamin A.

For all the aforementioned, Vitacilina is an antiseptic of cutaneous application extremely useful in the treatment of skin infections, wound and burns because it fights infections, it prevents them, and it makes skin more resistant and aids to regenerate it.

anyway, I don't think Retinol causes scarring. Au contraire, it is used to help eliminate scars. The active ingredient in Retin-A is Tretinoin, and I think that's what causes scar prone skin. tretinoin(Retin-A), isotretinoin(Accutane), and Retinol are vitamin A derivatives, but they're not the same.

Retinol, on the other hand, can cause break outs in acne prone skin. But if you take vit B5, that should really help and that'll allow you to use products containing Retinol, such as SuperCop to help reduce acne scars.

tj101

Great info, thanks so much.

I dont think our neosporin has retinol in it. It doesnt seem to prevent scars for me. How long are you all appling the neopsorin after a pimple eruption? Once a day until it heals? Twice a day?

I usually just apply it for a day or two after.

Hey joylovepeace!

I've done a lot of research, and the best way to prevent scars is to treat them right away. The sooner you start, the better. Also, certain skin types are more prone to scar than others (dark skin and young skin does worse than light skin and older skin - believe it or not, old skin is less prone to scarring).

I've found that most plastic surgeons recommend silicone sheeting for scars, but that's no good on your face. silicone gel works also. Vitamin C is also considered among the best scar treatments.

I've been using invicble scars (www.inviciblescars.com) with good results. There are other creams, but none that I've found that combine silicone and Vitamin C for scars. It's not cheap, but my face is worth it to me.

Let me know what you find out about these other treatments. If there's anything that works for you, I'm game to try it.

Rose

Hey joylovepeace!

I've done a lot of research, and the best way to prevent scars is to treat them right away. The sooner you start, the better. Also, certain skin types are more prone to scar than others (dark skin and young skin does worse than light skin and older skin - believe it or not, old skin is less prone to scarring).

I've found that most plastic surgeons recommend silicone sheeting for scars, but that's no good on your face. silicone gel works also. Vitamin C is also considered among the best scar treatments.

I've been using invicble scars (www.inviciblescars.com) with good results. There are other creams, but none that I've found that combine silicone and Vitamin C for scars. It's not cheap, but my face is worth it to me.

Let me know what you find out about these other treatments. If there's anything that works for you, I'm game to try it.

Rose

the website you provided makes a product that's only for minimizing "red marks" caused by acne and possibly hypertrophic scars. i highly doubt it does anything with indented scars...

it also looks ridiculously expensive.

Edited by snooze

Yeah, it's not the cheapest, but the other creams/gels/stuff I've tried did nothing, so I've spent tons on things that did nothing, and now I'm better off. Also, this cream has not filled in the ice picks, but I have no gotten any new ones since I startet using it.

If you find something that works to prevent new scars that is cheaper, pleeeze!! let me know. I'd rather also not have to pay so much.

RP

you get indented scars from whiteheads?

how big are the indents? i've only ever gotten indents/holes from cystic acne, and i was a major picker.