Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Posted

i dont really have any active acne anymore, just a few pimples here and there. what i do have is red marks!! and they are so annoying. there are a few things i dont understand about my red marks. i dont have pitted scarring its just pigmentation left from the days i used to have acne.

1. why do they get redder when i washmy face and then practically dissapear in a few hours?

2. what helps fade red marks?

3. will they ever fade om time?

4. does benzyol peroxide make red marks worse?

i just dont know what to do about them!

Posted

1. I'm not too sure about that one, still trying to find the answer myself. :P

2. AHA products usually (There is a sticky post at the top of this forum that has really good tips! Read it) .. or try Apple Cider Vinegar. There are loads ofposts about it here in the forum. I've never tried it myself but everyone here claims it works to some extent

3. Yes they will fade with time, and leave no trace. Some fade faster than others, some linger around for months.

4. I believe BP makes red marks worse. I think its because your skin heals faster when it is well hydrated and moist. BP irritates/ dries your skin.

Posted

Oh welcome to my life! I feel your pain. Except I have both red marks and pitted scars w/ red marks.

1. I don't know either, still trying to figure out what exactly the red marks are and why they look worse sometimes than other times

2. AHA products and retinoids, supposedly. I'm on a retinoid, it's helped some I guess.

3. they should all completely fade in time, although in rare cases you might have one that doesn't (which can be remedied with laser treatment, as far as I know). How long it takes...who knows. From what I've read, it shouldn't take longer than 6 months for red marks, up to a year and half for brown ones. I don't know. I've had some for 5 months now that have maybe faded 50% and are still quite noticeable. Others I've had for maybe 3 months that are still bright red. Most of my red marks are still quite noticeable months later, even with makeup.

4. I think BP can make them last longer - be slower to heal. But I'm not sure it's medically documented. It can irritate your skin and make them temporarily appear worse, however.

Posted
1. why do they get redder when i washmy face and then practically dissapear in a few hours?

Posted

Think of your red marks like stones you find near a river, or at the beach. You know when you pick up a stone thats dry, it's sort of dull looking, but then you dip it in water and the colors get vibrant? It's kind of the same thing here.

Posted

The red marks look more red because when you splash water hot or cold to your face, blood, as usually, will flush to that area in order to try and keep the blood temperature to normal levels. Its just like blushing, your marks will show up more when your face has more blood flow going in it, its just as simple as that. Over a few hours this disappears and your red marks may return to its original color.

Posted

1: im still questioning why this happens, no matter how gentle or luke warm water, red marks still turn really red after wash, my guess is that getting it wet has something to do with skin tones

2: chemical peels, aqua glycolic or AHA

3: red marks dissapear through time, all depends how much damage there was

4: run from bp. makes scars stay forever till u ween off it

Posted
The red marks look more red because when you splash water hot or cold to your face, blood, as usually, will flush to that area in order to try and keep the blood temperature to normal levels. Its just like blushing, your marks will show up more when your face has more blood flow going in it, its just as simple as that. Over a few hours this disappears and your red marks may return to its original color.

Posted

1) they get redder due to the water (warm water) increasing teh bloody flow in the outer layers of the skin, therefore more blood is flowing to make them appear worse than they are. (is also why redmarks look worse if you have oily skin) and when there is decreased blood circulation (aka in winter) thats why redmarks look better due to the cold.

2) the only way to fade red marks is to abrase teh top layers of skin away (chemically by peels, or manually by tools like dermabrasion)

3) yeah they will fade in time, naturally due to the body repairing itself by shedding skin, repairing damaged cells ect

4) Benzoyl peroxide does make red marks worse, due to it containing benzene. Yes, benzene is carcinogenic (cancer causing) however, it is why red marks are worse when using BP, due to BP attacks the skin rather than repairs it (like retinoids do, they repair the skin) so under constant attack from BP, the body cannot begin to naturally repair the skin untill all, i say trauma, has stopped.

hope this helps :)