Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Daywalker3

I can't get rid of existing acne now ...

I have had acne since 13 or 14 (now 20) and I've ALWAYS been bad about not getting my face washed at night or putting on a topical or taking an oral antibiotic (usually erythromycin which I was on/off of for about 3 years). Call it immaturity, laziness, or whatever, but I was always mad at myself for not getting it washed the next morning. Despite this, I would never do anything about it.

Now recently, I decided I was tired of it, because I know my acne would have always been minimal if I'd just stick to a regimen for an extended period of time. So I switched from using 2% SA cleanser to a Tee Tree Oil (The Body Shop) cleanser in the morning along with the 2% SA Neutrogena Acne Stress Control 3-in-1, 0.5% SA Neutrogena Acne Stress Control Foaming at night, and still looking for a good midday non-medicated cleanser just in case I get oily because the Tee Tree cleanser doesn't always last all day. I also use Ziana (clindamycin/tretinoin) at night, and recently tried Mino which gave me horrible headaches and I had to quit. My derm wanted to put me on Doxy which I'd taken for 3 weeks before as prescribed, and I got sick on it several times, plus I'm not big on the "don't tan, don't ...." of the cyclines.

So ... now in the last few weeks of developing this routine and sticking to it fairly well, I can't get my existing acne to go away. I know the Ziana works for me as the times when I'd used it several days in a row before without missing doses I could tell it helped new ones from forming. However, it seems like over the course of the day my existing pimples dry up some and appear that they will go away, but then overnight those same pimples will either be the same or even somewhat inflamed again, but they won't go away. I have had some of the same pimples for literally 4 or more weeks, many of which are comedonal (think I got it, a little new to this "acne professionals" environment), reddish bumpy kind and just above the skin. Normally in the past these would have been gone long ago, but would have been replaced elsewhere on my face. These new breakouts have really not happened, except for an occasional one here or there.

So what's the verdict? Is this just the effect of starting to use the Ziana every single night that is keeping these existing pimples from going away?

I forgot to add that I also take a Mega Men Sport multivitamin 1-2 times a day, usually twice but not always (laziness at night thing again), and have started taking about 2g of Pantothenic Acid (B5) every day, but I am going to switch over to Pantethine, about 600mg to avoid any side effects of B5, even though I'm not taking a huge dose.

drink ACV two tablespoons in the morning..

then two tablespoons at night

get the organic kind

do this.

take fish oil 2-4 caplets a day.

drink plenty of water.

and that's all you need.

what we put inside reflects on the outside =)

the apple cider vinegar technique has worked well for me

and try substituting your BP for tea tree oil

=)

I forgot to add that I also take a Mega Men Sport multivitamin 1-2 times a day, usually twice but not always (laziness at night thing again), and have started taking about 2g of Pantothenic Acid (B5) every day, but I am going to switch over to Pantethine, about 600mg to avoid any side effects of B5, even though I'm not taking a huge dose.

Go to the nutrition and holistic forum...Taking ani-biotics can be extremely bad for acne... you need to take some probiotics to get your good bacteria flourishing in your body again... you might have candida (yeast infection from too much anti-biotics) and candida can cause acne.... Hormonal imbalances are to blame as welll.... Dairy is a HUGE things for me....it caus eme to break out like crazy. Anyway... that's just my two cents... just trying to help :)... Good luck.

drink ACV two tablespoons in the morning..

then two tablespoons at night

get the organic kind

do this.

take fish oil 2-4 caplets a day.

drink plenty of water.

and that's all you need.

what we put inside reflects on the outside =)

the apple cider vinegar technique has worked well for me

and try substituting your BP for tea tree oil

=)

I forgot to add also that I won't use BP again. I used to use Triaz 6% BP cleanser, and no matter what I did I couldn't stop my clothes from being ruined by it. Hate it. The water thing could have something to do with it, I've been really busy lately and I haven't been drinking nearly as much water as I usually do the last couple of weeks.

Could be a couple things. The Ziana is a retinoid, which can make things worse for some people. Sometimes after 2-3 months, these stubborn spots will finally go away and you'll see improvement. For some people though (me being one), things just don't get better on a retinoid. I was on one and I had the same experience you are having - red, above the skin breakouts that would stay for weeks at a time. They actually didn't go away until I went off the retinoid, and started on BP and glycolic acid.

You might also check your multivitamin for iodine (sometimes it is in the form of kelp). Excessive iodine can lead to acne flares in people who are acne prone.