Notifications
Clear all

Weight lifting gave me cysts, I'm sure of it.

MemberMember
(@i_ming)

Posted : 09/28/2007 6:22 pm

I had been on the regimen for about 3 months with success. I had managed to achieve clear skin, and was dealing with red marks.

Then the school year started and I returned to weight lifting (after quitting for over a year.) Within weeks i suffered a cysts right above my eye brow. I never get these kinds of break outs, they are the most severe i've ever seen. Less than 2 weeks later i got another one on my cheek.

After suspecting this correlation i did some research and found a link between DHT (Dihydrotestosterone), Acne, and weight lifting.

Note: after lifting i immediately showered in the locker room, washing my hair, face, body. Everything i would do at home. So I strongly doubt it is hygiene related.

MemberMember
(@acend)

Posted : 09/28/2007 6:32 pm

I believe that weight lifting was also the cause of my acne. It started as a huge cyst on my cheek and then spead all over like wildfire. The most frustrating thing is that doctors and dermatologists don't believe that.

Do you have links to what you found about dihydrotestosterone, acne, and lifting?

MemberMember
(@notadoctor)

Posted : 09/28/2007 10:55 pm

I honestly don't believe it either. I have weight lifted on and off, throughout good skin times and bad skin times, and it makes absolutely no difference. Your body also produces proteins that attach to the DHT and controls hormone use throughout the body more efficiently after exercise including weightlifting. I am guessing there is some other underlying cause that is making your acne worse.

Do you wash your skin one extra time if you weight lift? When you don't lift weights are you washing your skin less?

It could be something in your washing routine that is making your acne worse, and since you are washing more often when you lift weights it seems like it is the weight lifting that is making it worse. Or it could be something else entirely.

MemberMember
(@i_ming)

Posted : 09/28/2007 11:37 pm

I honestly don't believe it either. I have weight lifted on and off, throughout good skin times and bad skin times, and it makes absolutely no difference. Your body also produces proteins that attach to the DHT and controls hormone use throughout the body more efficiently after exercise including weightlifting. I am guessing there is some other underlying cause that is making your acne worse.

Do you wash your skin one extra time if you weight lift? When you don't lift weights are you washing your skin less?

It could be something in your washing routine that is making your acne worse, and since you are washing more often when you lift weights it seems like it is the weight lifting that is making it worse. Or it could be something else entirely.

MemberMember
(@chrisaus)

Posted : 09/29/2007 7:00 am

Are you lifting within 30 minutes of eating a meal? cos heavy exercise straight after a meal always gives me spots.

MemberMember
(@notadoctor)

Posted : 09/29/2007 7:48 am

i usually wash my face with dan's cleanser whenever i shower, so i guess thats 1 extra wash whenever i go to the gym. but could that really be causing cystic acne? i'm sure my acne prone-ness is genetic because my dad has acne problems, so that is why i am suspecting that it is something internally.

MemberMember
(@socold)

Posted : 09/29/2007 11:51 am

What does your diet consist of?

MemberMember
(@un4tunate)

Posted : 09/29/2007 1:16 pm

same here, my body acne worsens by 80% when i lift or do any sweaty activity but face acne stays the same, showers right after dont help.

MemberMember
(@beqone)

Posted : 11/26/2007 11:20 am

Did any of those who reported acne while weight lifting take whey protein or consume any dairy products?

I believe dairy products and high fructose corn syrup aggravate acne.

MemberMember
(@necromancer)

Posted : 11/26/2007 12:47 pm

I had been on the regimen for about 3 months with success. I had managed to achieve clear skin, and was dealing with red marks.

Then the school year started and I returned to weight lifting (after quitting for over a year.) Within weeks i suffered a cysts right above my eye brow. I never get these kinds of break outs, they are the most severe i've ever seen. Less than 2 weeks later i got another one on my cheek.

After suspecting this correlation i did some research and found a link between DHT (Dihydrotestosterone), Acne, and weight lifting.

Note: after lifting i immediately showered in the locker room, washing my hair, face, body. Everything i would do at home. So I strongly doubt it is hygiene related.

MemberMember
(@leo21k)

Posted : 11/26/2007 12:50 pm

I had some of the worst cystic acne when I was weight lifting and after I quit lifting a lot of it went away.

But I'm not sure if it was the weight lifting, the whey protien I was taking, the fact that I was sweating a lot from the work out, or all of the above that caused the cystic acne to get so bad.

MemberMember
(@ryudoadema)

Posted : 11/26/2007 1:31 pm

My acne definitely gets worse after lifting even for one day, it sux...

MemberMember
(@socold)

Posted : 11/26/2007 4:01 pm

As I posted over a month: if you suspect weightlifting is causing your acne, post your diet and I will show you it's not.

MemberMember
(@jkom)

Posted : 11/27/2007 12:23 am

It could be something in your washing routine that is making your acne worse, and since you are washing more often when you lift weights it seems like it is the weight lifting that is making it worse.
MemberMember
(@introducing)

Posted : 11/27/2007 12:46 am

As a bodybuilder who works out out regularly, I don't see any increase in acne, except when I first started, due to an increase in testosterone, but the levels out and the acne goes away after about a week or two. I consume Whey protein of course, and the only time I broke out was when I tried the vanilla flavor, I'm not %100 sure it was from the flavor/protein or if it was just from something else, but chocolate whey has never broken me out. Creatine is the only other BB'ing product I consume regularly, some studies have shown that it can improve acne a bit. It's probably the quick increase in testosterone that caused the breakout, it will be fine if you keep lifting, other than that check your diet and make sure your getting enough water( 1 gallon a day) and taking a multivitamin and fish oil.

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 11/27/2007 12:54 am

Nice points, Introducing...

My husband lifts weights three to four times a week. With improved diet (but not cutting out dairy) his acne is gone, completely gone. He also shaves less and that also helps. He does not shower immediately after going to the gym.

Lots of water is an exceptionally good point. That alone will help the skin immensely.

MemberMember
(@datsnotmyname)

Posted : 07/17/2011 2:47 am

I think this is an interesting topic so I thought I'd bump it just in case current members have relevant experiences to share.

In addition to commenting on the link between weight lifting and acne, I'm curious about peoples' experiences with intense weight lifting and hair loss. I ask because I experienced a fair amount of hair loss on Accutane and I'm not keen to lose more!

Here's one link that I found on the hair loss topic:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/expert.q.a/...olis/index.html

MemberMember
(@tnajamie)

Posted : 08/07/2011 8:53 am

my face also seems worse after weightlifting!!!

MemberMember
(@packerfan785)

Posted : 08/07/2011 3:22 pm

There is no doubt weightlifting causes me to break out more, but apparently DHT blockers have no effect on acne.

MemberMember
(@supermachii)

Posted : 08/07/2011 3:46 pm

weight lifting should not cause bumps.

If it did here's one reason why:

your working out certain muscle groups more than others.

This usually happens because of using machines to lift heavy weights.

For instance, using this machine designed to work out the back, you can target an area, but it doesn't allow you to fully take control because the weight is supported by the machine, your body is supported by the machine and therefore, your not using all the muscles to pull the weight.

So by channeling out certain muscle groups that you needed for supporting the weight, your adding an imbalance of muscle ratio to your body. This is typical mistake for beginners. For instance, working out the back using machines and doing so without full control can work out the muscles near the neck, the shoulder/back muscles... So if you get a good workout, and they grow.. chances are you may get a pimple or two there because there is alot of tension there even when you don't work out. The muscle isn't properly distributed like it would be for a normal balanced person. Happened to me, I wanted to work out my entire back, but I mostly worked out my upper back more than my lower.

I am certain this was the exact case for my back/neck acne. I have fixed that since, and no more. It wasn't easy to fix it either, so do not make that mistake.

In summary, do not weight lift, unless you want to take 'FULL CONTROL' of the weight, no momentum bs. If you half ass it, mostly do machines, you will fail. and fail hard. I'm not saying machines are bad, they have their place, but never depend on them for your main workouts. Free weights are better. Also, work out all your muscles, don't single out any muscle groups.

Sweating/blah blah blah .. can be easily taken care of regarding acne. It's not rocket science, don't make it out to be complex. It's a simple "heat on" "heat off" cycle. You work out, get "heat on" and then your body sweats "heat stable", then after workout, wait 30 mins to naturally and gradually cool off.. and then hit the shower, try to match the shower water to your body heat.. and thats it. very simple. Even if you do this wrong, there's some tolerance.

I don't know why you guys always complicate things, seriously.

MemberMember
(@purple-clouds)

Posted : 08/07/2011 6:57 pm

^lol? what did i just read? :P

MemberMember
(@5ive)

Posted : 08/07/2011 7:45 pm

Weightlifting causes acne? I think there's a variety of factors that cause it. Are you "bulking" for example. Such as eating a ton of crap to get "big" muscles?

I weight lift and I love it. I have been both clear and blemished while doing it, but it has always had so many pros such as stress reliving and sweating that helps clear your skin.

There might be some things that loosely cause acne, such as increasing testosterone. However, to say this is the sole cause and to stop doing something so healthy for you in the long term would be a really bad idea.

MemberMember
(@phill)

Posted : 08/07/2011 7:52 pm

This is insanity. Weight lifting and excercise does not cause acne, I dont care what any of you say. If this was true, mililtarys around the world would be covered in acne. Belieave what you want to belieave, next your going to say breathing oxygen causes acne when your breathe out and CO2 enters your pores or something lol.

MemberMember
(@supermachii)

Posted : 08/07/2011 8:09 pm

Phill is basically right, this thread is ridiculous.. and the people who post "studies" from some credible source blindly trusting their studies.. I laugh at you. I've worked in research industries and I know how many mistakes they make in judgement and experimentation.

MemberMember
(@lauren-palumbo)

Posted : 02/24/2021 9:46 am

I know that if u have a predisposition for acne weight lifting can definitely make it worse. It messes with you hormones, some people are very sensitive to minor hormonal changes and can develop acne specifically on the chin and jaw line for women. If your one of those people who are not sensitive to hormone changes youll be fine. Its like some people breakout from certain birth control pills and other the same pill will clear there skin. Its no ones size fits all not everyone has same hormones levels. For me Ive had ace since I was 12. I used to dance and when I was training for hours a day my acne was horrible while some other girls would train and have perfect skin. Definitely not a hygiene thing cause I would make sure to keep clean or not over wash. 2 separate times in my life I weight trained both times had cystic acne. But again thats just my body others may not react the same.