Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
unknown soldier

Tazorac on ice-pick scar(s)

I've done some reading about people using Tazorac and Retin-A for treating mild ice-picks, but need some further input.

I began using Tazorac post-Accutane for areas of my face that were still getting acne (chin area). It did help in that regard, but it is so drying and rough on my skin, especially after being on Accutane, that I did not use it on my entire face. Well, once in a while I would randomly get pimples in other places of my face, but never worried too much about it because I certainly can't expect to not get zits, but I didn't want to start applying Tazorac all over the place because it's so harsh on my skin. Well, about 5 months ago I got a very deep cyst on my left cheek near my mouth. Well, it was a raised blemish for about a month, and then finally died and subsided. What I was left with, however, is probably the deepest, biggest, shockingly bad ice-pick I've ever seen. And it REALLY stands out; not only due to its location near my mouth, but because of it's depth, size, and purple discoloration.

So, I had to go back on low-dose Accutane because I was getting tons and tons of small, scarring whiteheads around my cheekbones and chin again, but I'm thinking that perhaps after I'm done with the tane and the 6 month waiting period after, I might try applying spot-specific Tazorac into the icepick every night and see if it does anything before I do any TCA crossing.

Do you think I could expect to see any results from doing this? It's so bad that even a 5-20% improvement would be AMAZING. And then I figure I can help reduce how noticeable it is by applying some concealer (which my mom is going to teach me how to do; I know nothing about makeup). I'm really kind of scared of CROSS and having been on Accutane more than once leaves me very disconcerted when I think about invasive procedures on my fragile skin.

I'm typing this from work but I'll try to upload a picture of the infamous ice-pick when I get home. It's pretty shocking though, and I don't want anybody to laugh at me... :(

Edit: Okay, now I'm not sure if this is an "icepick," "boxcar," or "rolling," but the one I'm most concerned with is deep, massive, and right in the middle of my left cheek near my mouth. It's kind of just there as the lone BIG guy. This means it REALLY draws the eye. I was blessed to get severe acne all around my mouth (quite disfiguring and gross), so everywhere in that area looks like a topigraphical map. I plan on getting Fraxel or chemical resurfacing, dermarolling, subsicion, etc. after tane, but for the time being I'd like to get the worst depressed scar I've ever seen (no joke) dealt with. Do you think filler may be my best option? And if so, do you think it could be done while I'm on Accutane? (I'm not going to attempt anything that has to do with resurfacing for a year after this round of tane). Here's some pics I took w/ shadowing (made me want to vomit): They're high-res so I linked them.

Left cheek 1: http://bp3.blogger.com/_0Pt7OGhlWzU/RwliL7...-h/100_2075.JPG

Left cheek 2: http://bp2.blogger.com/_0Pt7OGhlWzU/Rwlhzr...-h/100_2065.JPG

Left cheek 3: http://bp3.blogger.com/_0Pt7OGhlWzU/Rwlhd7...-h/100_2045.JPG

Right cheek 1: http://bp1.blogger.com/_0Pt7OGhlWzU/Rwlhsb...-h/100_2058.JPG

Right cheek 2: http://bp3.blogger.com/_0Pt7OGhlWzU/RwliD7...-h/100_2069.JPG

Guest delta force operators

its all an experiement, im 1 month full face, and well im hoping theres some remodeling going on. hopfully by 12 months i should be a new man

Retinoids do help very nicely with scar remodeling but it does take time and consistent application. I wouldn't spot treat, I'd do the whole face.

In the interim, I do recommend using a moisturizer to massage your scars at least twice daily. Hold down firmly on the scarred area, and move your finger around so that you're moving the scar over and around the underlying structures. Don't stretch your skin a lot. Also massage over the scar in a circular motion. These massagings do tend to (over time) help loosen adhesions in the scar tissue. It is one technique that is used for children's burn injuries that shows actual results. You'll get so used to it that you can massage while watching TV, or surfing on the web and therefore it doesn't take any time out of your day. ;)

Retinoids do help very nicely with scar remodeling but it does take time and consistent application. I wouldn't spot treat, I'd do the whole face.

In the interim, I do recommend using a moisturizer to massage your scars at least twice daily. Hold down firmly on the scarred area, and move your finger around so that you're moving the scar over and around the underlying structures. Don't stretch your skin a lot. Also massage over the scar in a circular motion. These massagings do tend to (over time) help loosen adhesions in the scar tissue. It is one technique that is used for children's burn injuries that shows actual results. You'll get so used to it that you can massage while watching TV, or surfing on the web and therefore it doesn't take any time out of your day. ;)

I may try the massage method. I mean, pretty much like you said: what've I got to lose? I think this one is so deep it may require some filler, though.

from ur post i thought u wre dealing with severe scars those look like moderate scars, i would like to know if taz has helped those scars if any?

besides ur skin tone is nice,

i was wondering how that blemmish left a mark

for me to scar i have to fk with it, but u said u didnt, was it infected, did it hurt any?

anyways i notice ur upper cheeks dont have that much fat, i dunno if this is genetics or something

im not used to that couse i have naturally fat cheeks

I know that when people with one scar or very minor scarring put their pics up, others usually get upset over it. And I also know that one scar might affect someone as greatly as someone else who has 10 scars. But I just wanted to say one thing -- it's really hard for me to see these pics and think about my own scarring, which is worse (but not as bad as some others). It just makes me think, if there are people out there who think the above scarring is bad, I wonder what they would think about mine!

from ur post i thought u wre dealing with severe scars those look like moderate scars, i would like to know if taz has helped those scars if any?

besides ur skin tone is nice,

i was wondering how that blemmish left a mark

for me to scar i have to fk with it, but u said u didnt, was it infected, did it hurt any?

anyways i notice ur upper cheeks dont have that much fat, i dunno if this is genetics or something

im not used to that couse i have naturally fat cheeks

That single blemish (which will haunt me forever) began as what looked like a surface level clogged pore w/ no head. I didn't mess with it for almost 2 months, hoping it would run it's course, and then one day I get home from work and noticed it had turned into a TINY whitehead. I was wondering when it would decide to do something, but I decided to leave it alone. It then started to get very inflamed and I realized that because it was a clogged pore, the tiny whitehead was just the tip of the iceberg and below it was a giant soon-to-be cyst. There was nothing I could do but wait. It lasted an entire month. After two weeks the redness kind of dissipated and it didn't look so bad because the cyst was elevating the skin enough to level it out. But then it died in only two days, and as it shrank the skin sank in with it. I obviously lost a LOT of collagen while it sat in there brooding for a month. It pisses me off because although I'm so scarred in that area, I hadn't gotten a deep zit in YEARS. And then basically overnight I was left with this fucking hole in my cheek.

I think it stands out more because there's still some pigmentation issue w/ it which gives it a purple hue. I'm going home in a few days to see my derm and am thinking about asking him about using some hydroquinone to fade it (post-tane).

For the big "hole" I think I'll need to have it subcised, needled, or filled. Does this sound about right?

Beyond that one spot, do you think Fraxel would help my scarring at all? I also have a very noticeable area of scarring along the laugh-line on my left cheek (you can see it in the pics) I wonder if Fraxel would help that at all?

I never used Taz overnight, only short-contact 15-30 mins before my shower every morning. After being on Accutane so much my face has been too dry for serious topical usage. So I probably wouldn't be able to tell you if Taz would help scarring. I am interested in using it as a spot-treatment, however, as I think I could at least handle having really dry skin in an isolated area.

And I look like skin and bones because I'm skinny as hell, lol. Always have been, no matter how much I eat. It's definitely genetics, as is my bad skin.

I know that when people with one scar or very minor scarring put their pics up, others usually get upset over it. And I also know that one scar might affect someone as greatly as someone else who has 10 scars. But I just wanted to say one thing -- it's really hard for me to see these pics and think about my own scarring, which is worse (but not as bad as some others). It just makes me think, if there are people out there who think the above scarring is bad, I wonder what they would think about mine!

I'm sorry that was not my intention at all. I don't know if the pictures properly show it but the skin around my mouth is truly messed up. The good news was that it was all kind of bumpy and ragged, but no really deep pits. So to have this REALLY deep pit on my cheek right near my mouth is an extraordinary attention-grabber.

I also refuse to take a straight-on pic because it looks so bad. I won't even look at myself straight on in the mirror, and avoid doing so when talking to people. I only feel comfortable showing my derm.

You don't see much of the skin under my mouth in those pics; which is like.. mutilated. I wish I could grow a beard :(

Well, I just scheduled a consultation for Fraxel and subcision w/ a cosmetic dermatologist in Seattle for next month. I know it will be a while before I can have any procedures done because I have to wait until after tane, but I'm hoping to set up a plan of action to take care of my scarring once that 6 months is up. That will give me something to look forward to very much.

Might wait a year for Fraxel and do subcision and peels at the 6th month mark. Maybe some fillers at that point too.

Just having the appointment has put me into a better mood tonight. :)

just curious as to how u choose that doctor? was it from people messaging u about him?

i dont know about subcission but with excission the skill of the doc is important,

anyways i think that would help out, please update if u have good progress

ur scars are rolling these scars are easiest to have them smooth out better and become more rounded,

I have gotten results using a really strong application of tazorac. I use it every few days, and use an amount that is like 3 or 4 times the recommended.

Yeah I agree. I really couldn't see much scarring in that pic and when I think about my own scars...which no, they aren't as bad as some but they are definitely numerous and noticeable...I also wonder what people would think about mine! The pic I have up on this website is the only one that is blurry enough so that you can't see them. :(

I think the fact that all of my scars are around my mouth (the only place I've ever got acne over the years), is what makes my scars more disfiguring in my eyes. If I had my scars near my upper cheeks I would care half as much about them. I don't have a straight-on picture of the skin under my mouth, but it's pretty much all scar tissue w/ strange creases and lines, and without much elasticity. Plus the epidermis is very very thin, fragile, red, patchy, and indented. There's pretty much no elasticity left in that area. I'd post a picture of it but I myself never like looking at it because it does nothing for me beyond making me depressed.

So, I will admit that the scars on the sides of my mouth are moderate but not severe, but the fact that they're right near my mouth is what grosses me out the most. Like, would you want to kiss somebody with scars all around their mouth? Maybe some of you would because you have a different perspective, but I wish they were not where they are. I somehow managed to get a girlfriend two years ago and we just recently broke up, but the scars got much worse over the course of our relationship and I can't help but wonder if they contributed to the relationship not working out. Although my extreme insecurity about my scars probably didn't help matters. Had I shown more confidence and less shame I probably would have been able to make them a moot issue as opposed to a wedge issue. I definitely learned a big lesson to be more open about my appearance and not treat myself as a pariah.

Delta, I have a consult with a cosmetic dermatology clinic that I found online and had good reviews. It will be a long time before I have any procedure done, so there's a good chance that I'll go somewhere else. But for now I'd like to speak with the dr. and get her advice as to what kind of expectations I could have w/ Fraxel, and then I can decide whether to do it there or elsewhere. I have an appointment w/ my GREAT long-term dematologist this Friday and although he doesn't do cosmetic procedures, I may try to get a referral from him instead.

I may let my skin heal for 4 months after tane and then slowly try some tazorac peels or spot-treatments. Lazer resurfacing will probably have to wait a full year post-tane.

yeah i think u will get good results with that , the last thing u wat to do is tca, please do not get sidetracted into that, itll just make it bigger and deeper.

hey were theose pics taken in overhead lighting to emphasize ur scars? if so then u got smooth skin and just a couple moderate scars that i can see, those other ones that i cant pinpoint are prolly superficail that taz will knock em out

You know, I still can't see what you are talking about. I mean if I really really stare hard I can guess what is bugging you, but it's seriously not anything bad at all. I wouldn't have even noticed it. Maybe consider that you might be distorting them a bit. I know I do this sometimes. Kind of like how anorexic people look in the mirror and think they are fat, when in reality they are skin and bones. But I seriously only see nice skin when I look at your pictures. You are probably just really focusing on the imperfections, which are just natural anyway.

As for scars around the mouth...well you kiss someone's LIPS, not the skin around their mouth! The only thing that makes me not want to kiss someone is chapped lips, or nasty teeth (I'm not talking crooked teeth, I'm talking rotting teeth or obvious lack of care). But if a girl is into you, some scarring is not going to make her not want to kiss you. Attraction is on many levels. Hmmm I need to lecture myself more often haha. Anyway...I seriously don't think your skin is what led to your break up. I went from perfect skin to severe acne with my last boyfriend, and he was begging me to give him another chance when I was breaking it off with him. So obviously my skin wasn't a turn-off even though I would have thought it was.

But again, I want to reiterate that I really don't see much wrong with your skin, even your problem area that you say really bothers you. I can barely see it. Promise.

sweethearts from expereince; what i understand with women ,is that if they see that the guy takes care of himself then he'll be able to take care of the girl, obviously this is far from the trueth couse the guy could be a total jerk. but this is how chicks think

anyways i do agree with u about nice teeth, its the same with skin also. and grooming too...

its the whole package,

sweethearts from expereince; what i understand with women ,is that if they see that the guy takes care of himself then he'll be able to take care of the girl, obviously this is far from the trueth couse the guy could be a total jerk. but this is how chicks think

anyways i do agree with u about nice teeth, its the same with skin also. and grooming too...

its the whole package,

You really need to work on understanding women. Especially if you call us "chicks". The idea that well-groomed = takes-care-of-girl is not something I have ever thought, and is something that I totally disagree with.

I have to be honest and tell you that you truly are obscene. THAT IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Why bother doing anything at all??????????? I pity people like myself that have to deal with that one tiny shallow scar you have times, literally 500 ( i have hundreds like that and bigger + deeper ones) not people like you. You are lucky that you didnt severely scar internally and physically like me and are afraid to go to places in the daylight and hide from harsh lighting. Count your blessings.

I have to be honest and tell you that you truly are obscene. THAT IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Why bother doing anything at all??????????? I pity people like myself that have to deal with that one tiny shallow scar you have times, literally 500 ( i have hundreds like that and bigger + deeper ones) not people like you. You are lucky that you didnt severely scar internally and physically like me and are afraid to go to places in the daylight and hide from harsh lighting. Count your blessings.

As other poster stated, this is not a scar olympics forum. I do note minor scarring in the poster's photo. What does annoy me is when someone with no scarring at all posts a photo and continues to state s/he has scars, all evidence to the contrary. Those are people with body dysmorphic disorder.

To the original poster: talking to your derm and/or a plastic surgeon could greatly help you pinpoint where else you might want to go with treatment. The larger scar, well, I'd say that subcision and filler would likely help a great deal. That purple coloration might or night not fade.

I'm SORRY but those pictures really do not capture my scars well. I'm talking under my mouth/chin area. It's fucking freakish, I promise you. I've had so, so, so many blemishes since I was a kid that the skin has kind of deteriorated into a glob of scar tissue filled with deep creases that go in every direction, lumps, lines, and discoloration. In order to look at myself straight-on in the mirror I have to close my mouth to tighten the skin so I don't look so repulsive. I will not post a picture straight-on because I try to think about my chin area as little as possible in order to stay somewhat sane. And you know what? I just turned 28 on October 10th and I'm still waging a massive war against acne that just won't go away. Accutane 3 times! I don't even know if I'll really ever be able to have any good cosmetic procedures done because my skin is so fragile from all the Accutane. Also, I have something called testicular varicocele which has stunted my exit from puberty (i.e. my hope for naturally growing out of acne anytime soon is quite slim). My gf dumped me because I grew so fucking ugly, I'm completely alone in NYC, and I'm ready to throw in the towel. I don't know what else to do, and am seriously considering wearing a cosmetic beard because I unfortunately am not able to grow one naturally. My life is shit; I guarantee you. So don't get all huffy and puffy with me. I know there are a lot of people suffering out there, and I wouldn't belittle any of them.

I'm SORRY but those pictures really do not capture my scars well. I'm talking under my mouth/chin area. It's fucking freakish, I promise you. I've had so, so, so many blemishes since I was a kid that the skin has kind of deteriorated into a glob of scar tissue filled with deep creases that go in every direction, lumps, lines, and discoloration. In order to look at myself straight-on in the mirror I have to close my mouth to tighten the skin so I don't look so repulsive. I will not post a picture straight-on because I try to think about my chin area as little as possible in order to stay somewhat sane. And you know what? I just turned 28 on October 10th and I'm still waging a massive war against acne that just won't go away. Accutane 3 times! I don't even know if I'll really ever be able to have any good cosmetic procedures done because my skin is so fragile from all the Accutane. Also, I have something called testicular varicocele which has stunted my exit from puberty (i.e. my hope for naturally growing out of acne anytime soon is quite slim). My gf dumped me because I grew so fucking ugly, I'm completely alone in NYC, and I'm ready to throw in the towel. I don't know what else to do, and am seriously considering wearing a cosmetic beard because I unfortunately am not able to grow one naturally. My life is shit; I guarantee you. So don't get all huffy and puffy with me. I know there are a lot of people suffering out there, and I wouldn't belittle any of them.

Man you can't be so shallow and so critic on yourself, if you don't love yourself then nobody will, i have more notorious scars on my cheeks and i havent had problems to get a really nice girlfriend, but with scars its obviously harder to get a one night rommance, or making out, but if you get to know some girl you can do it all on your personality, you must show confidence, if someone's going to be more than you are, it willl be because of their personality and nothing else [if u can think in this way you ll resolve many of your problems, i had same issues as you do, i had success on girls, but acne came on, scars and shit, but a psychologist really helped me out and i am quite happy now, by the way try to get rid of your scars but don't let them own you]