Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wanabeacnefree

For those of us over 30...

So we didn't grow out of acne as said by many 'well wishers' in our younger years and we have learnt (sort of) to accept our skin condition. We may never be clear, so how do we cope?

I personally have never let acne stop me from doing anything and can talk to family and close friends about it. The only thing it stops me from doing is leaving the house makeup free, although I would still use mascara everyday if I had clear skin.

I feel that with age we accept who we are and don't worry as much about what other people think. Let's face it, we have children, mortgages, careers, ageing parents and our own ageing to worry about.

I will still search for the never coming cure for my acne, but am still happy and love who I have become, acne or not ;)

So we didn't grow out of acne as said by many 'well wishers' in our younger years and we have learnt (sort of) to accept our skin condition. We may never be clear, so how do we cope?

I personally have never let acne stop me from doing anything and can talk to family and close friends about it. The only thing it stops me from doing is leaving the house makeup free, although I would still use mascara everyday if I had clear skin.

I feel that with age we accept who we are and don't worry as much about what other people think. Let's face it, we have children, mortgages, careers, ageing parents and our own ageing to worry about.

I will still search for the never coming cure for my acne, but am still happy and love who I have become, acne or not ;)

i agree with "easier said than done".

acne, at the very least, is a petty annoyance...which is bothersome in itself.

sometimes people think accutane is the end all cure all. I am 37 now and went on accutane when I was 21. Yes I was semi clear for many years but so full of scars from many years of the cysts that i never felt any more confident in my appearance. I also went on to have 2 children and I always worried about what accutane in my system could have done with future pregnancies even 5 years off the drug when my daughter was born. It is a drastic drug and it may clear the acne but the scars on the outside and inside don't always fade as easily as we would hope.

Seems like with age its harder for me to accept! In my teen years and young adult years it was normal and common to have acne and my friends even had mild cases. Now that they're clear and mine has worsened its much harder to deal with an I begin to direct the anger and frustration towards myself. I can't even think straight and every other task that I should be focusing on begins to get push away and I loss control. I'm receiving counselling and I'm on anti-depressants. Never been better. :confused:

Seems like with age its harder for me to accept! In my teen years and young adult years it was normal and common to have acne and my friends even had mild cases. Now that they're clear and mine has worsened its much harder to deal with an I begin to direct the anger and frustration towards myself. I can't even think straight and every other task that I should be focusing on begins to get push away and I loss control. I'm receiving counselling and I'm on anti-depressants. Never been better. :confused:

I agree with Sundaegirl, I am 48 and I don't want to look like a teen either. I never grew out of it and now I worry about my kids and if they will go through what I am right now. I eat well, drink lots of water, take care of my skin but along with the acne comes, lines, wrinkles, puffiness and healing is slower also. What I hate is that the teens I work with and come in the store have better skin than I do!!! And no I don't want to go on tane, I have enough to deal with without the side effects of drugs. And lately I have begun to study peoples skin and looking as closely as I can in all kinds of light, I have found that most people my age have the skin I wish I had but never will. Another thing I hate is that I can't eat whatever once in a while and just relax at a party or a friends house or when we go out, I am always worried that it will come back to bite me and it usually does! its a pain and a problem I don't need as I get older, Elf

although im only 23, i still have acne after 8 years. I can personally say i cannot accept acne. It has held me back so many times now. It has lowered my self-esteem and self-worth. It has ruined my focus in classes. I've had to skip classes because of cystic acne as big as a nickel.

I cannot accept something that makes me feel this way. So until that beautiful day comes where i look in the mirror and see nothing but the beautiful face God gave me, I will keep pushing until i am acne free.

I dream of the day where i can just talk to people without having to worry if they are looking at my acne. I dream of the day where i wake up and the first thing i think about is how awesome this world is instead of "Oh crap another lump...." I dream of the day where i can approach a complete stranger at parties and get to know the person and actually hear what he has to say instead of me thinking "is he looking at my acne? Oh no he is looking at my acne, should i just put my head down?"

I dream of the day where when i talk to people I don't have to lower my head or turn my head so they see the good side of my face. Where i can just talk to them..FACE to FACE. I dream of the day where my self-confidence is at a all time high and worry about something else rather than my face

(Sorry for the long post :dance: )