Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest delta force operators

long term retiniod users come here

I want u guys to post ur results please, the good and the bad

ive been on for just about a month and i cant really say muc hhas happened yet.

I want u guy to post ur results, im just so impatient when it comes to scar treatments i want results now.

I've been using Retin-A for a little over 3 months (started Jun 11). That's probably not long-term. It's gotten to the point where I can't NOT use it each night. It definitely makes my scars look less noticeable. Makeup glides on better. However, I'm afraid to stop using it because I've read that it's just a temporary plumping effect.

I used doctor prescribed retin-a for one year and have been using Green Cream Level 9 (which has a high level of retin-a in it) for about 6 months. So a year and a half in all. I noticed a difference after three months so persist and be patient. I also suggest not to over apply, it will irritate your skin and may do more harm than good. retin-a does work.

Was on Tazorac for 3 yrs post-Accutane. Did nothing for shallow scars and redmarks; and in fact made my skin much more fragile, dry, and irritated.

Though it did help keep small whiteheads away.

I used doctor prescribed retin-a for one year and have been using Green Cream Level 9 (which has a high level of retin-a in it) for about 6 months. So a year and a half in all. I noticed a difference after three months so persist and be patient. I also suggest not to over apply, it will irritate your skin and may do more harm than good. retin-a does work.

Retinoids are used off-label to treat skin pigmentation problems and wrinkles. They can help scarring because they stimulate the production of collagen, which helps rebuild some of what was lost during the infection (and thus led to the scar). It's the same reason why retinoids can eliminate fine lines and improve the appearance of wrinkles.

I've been on Differin around 3 months and can't really tell yet for sure what effect it's having on my scars. But what I have noticed is smoother skin overall and more brightness. Also, some of the older scars (around 5 months) have lightened a little bit and have started filling in some here and there. Not sure if this is the retinoid or the natural healing process. Seemed like the retinoid isn't doing much to hasten the red marks though. Although a study I read recently said that retinoids will give noticeable improvement for wrinkles around 3-4 months, but no real improvement in skin pigmentation problems until about 12 months.

^Yep. Someday Retin A and other retinoids will be prescribed for minor scarring and hyperpigmentation. Currently that's an off-label use. <----My prediction, not anyone else's so of course it could be wrong. ;)

Retin A is already prescribed for wrinkles. That used to be an off-label use. All medications tend to go through an evolution of discovered uses, then prescribed uses. Docs are frequently hesitant to prescribe off-label as that can leave them open to litigation. Now that Retin A and other retinoids (Taz) are proven to help with wrinkles, it's accepted to prescribe them for wrinkles.

Retin A actually changes the structure of the skin. It also helps encourage collagen growth from what I read.

Not sure if this is considered long-term either, but I've done 8 months on Tazorac.

Ironically, it provides me with both absurdly delicate skin and superhuman healing powers: Anything more than a gentle touch rips my skin right off, but cuts, bruises, and minor, opened acne lesions sometimes disappear even within a few hours. Everything heals by flaking off, which never happened pre-Tazorac. My face also perpetually has a fine layer of skin peeling off of it. If messed with, it will just keep on peeling off in layers until I bleed. (Not as gross as it sounds, unless I try to wear makeup.)

I don't know if it has helped with scarring, but now that I think about it, since it imbues me with superhuman healing powers, it would be fairly logical if it has or will aid in fading scars. I started other acne meds at the same time as it, so I don't know what it, individually, has contributed, beyond what's in the paragraph above, to the acne killing.

My face actually responds phenominally better to a larger-than-average dose (around 3 peas). I use it on my neck, too, which would naturally take more med, but my face and neck are roughly equivalent in size to an 11 year-old's, so that probably proportionally negates the extra.

Gals

What % strength are u using?

i started using retin micro 0.1% on my arms and it felt like i gotten a sunburnt.

I'm seeing some results if I use it consistently and more than they recommend. It's also great for reducing wrinkles (fine lines).

Edited by Birdie

I posted the following on the recent thread I started, thought I should ask here:

Some people say you should give retinoids a try (for up to a year) before trying Fraxel. I've been using Retin-A for 4 months. It has helped plump up some scars, and I know this is supposed to be temporary, but it has had zero effect on my ice-pick scars and my scarred pores. Now I am also in a dilemma of whether I should give Retin-A more of a chance, but Retin-A has not even had a plumping effect on my REAL scars in 4 months, why would it have any effect 12 months down the line? I would think those scars would at least respond SOMEWHAT to Retin-A in 4 months, similar to how my very shallow scars responded. Any thoughts?

Here is my experience:

I've been on Retin-A for 13 months. I started with the .05% cream, then moved up to the .1% cream. The fine lines under my eyes are nearly gone, and my forehead creases are 30% diminished. My skin appears smoother. As for my scars, they appear almost gone now under indirect lighting, but appear worse and more numerous under overhead fluorescent lighting. My guess is that the retinoic acid has built some collagen, but has also uncovered some underlying scar tissue, which the fluorescents are highlighting. My expectation is that the revealed scar tissue will be remodeled over the next year or so, and thus, will gradually be diminished. I think the key is to stick with the treatment. Most people are impatient, and give up too soon.

So it seems to help shallow scarring quite a bit by the sounds of things, but when is a scar not shallow enough for it to help? How do you define a scar as not shallow? Almost all of mine seem to only be apparent in some lights or they way I tilt my head and angle it with the light in the mirror etc. So is it safe to say that when you can see a prominent indent in all lighting without head tilting etc. it is past shallow and moderate?

Can you feel moderate scars and not shallow scars? Is that a good indicator of difference? I run my fingers over some shallow scars on my cheek but I don't feel anything? :think:

thanks...

I think scars are in the eyes of the beholder. What is moderate to one person may seem shallow to another.

I've heard that all your scars return to their normal state after you stop using Retin-A. I've noticed this when I've stopped for a few days, but I've been using Retin-A for only 4 months. Those who have been using it longer, did this happen to you?

...and by scars, I mean indented scars.

i'll give you the good and the bad when i first started getting bad acne around 10th grade retin-a made it from bad to really really bad lol. 11th grade those red marks were still their 12th grade still their (this is when i started using dans BP) so my skin has been pretty used to it and still responds well. I only believe in using Retin-a ONCE you have your acne under control and then you start nuking those bastards.

has gotten rid the majority of any red marks i've ever had. and i still pop those bastards but i know they will be nice and healed within the week so i could care less XD.