Notifications
Clear all

My Spiro success story!

MemberMember
(@mylimage)

Posted : 09/25/2007 9:21 am

I started spiro at the end of June. My face was the worst it had ever been- cysts all up and down my jaw line areas. I'm 37 and have had acne. black heads and oily skin since 14, with occasional cysts. In June, I was seriously considering accutane after unsuccessful attempts to find a dr to give me spiro. My face hurt. I have tried EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING. I have spent tens thousands of dollars (I figure I have spent at least 1500/yr on average over the last 20 yrs) and endless hours of research.

In June, I went in crying- ready to start accutane, knowing that it would be 2 months before I could even start it. I was terrified of the side effects. Worse, I was afraid it wouldn't work.

This time I got spiro. My doc took the blood tests, and everything came out normal, but he let me continue the spiro after I argued that it was the androgen receptors in my skin that were the problem, not my testosterone levels.

3 months later (along with Retin A micro, duac and erythromycin) my face is near perfect. I don't even recognize it anymore. No backheads or oily skin. I have a few read marks from healing areas, and an occasional small zit that clears up in a day or two. My back and chest are clear and my skin feels so much smoother all over my whole body. I can wear my hair up! I can wear tank tops-yay! I can go make-up free!

I know there are a lot of concerns about side effects of spiro. I was REALLY thirsty when I started, but this has turned out to be a great thing. I only drink water now- and usually tons of it (I am sure this is only helping too!). Since I drink a lot, I don't really notice thirst. I pee a lot, no surprise. I usually get up twice in the night to pee. My periods have been normal. I started spotting this week, but I don't know if it is because I moved in with a roommate and she has her period this week (you know that weird syncing up thing), or if it is the spiro. I could care less. Sometimes I get dizzy if I bend over and get up fast. Since I take yoga, and it never happens in yoga, I have concluded it that happens I am probably either holding my breath or shallow breathing. I recently had blood work and everything is normal. Drinking alcohol has a much bigger impact than it used to. I feel shittier in the morning too. I don't think not drinking alcohol is a bad thing!

Next week I wean myself off of the erythromycin. I think it helped me with the IO caused by the Retin A. I have taken antibiotics in the past, but never with these results. My success could be the combo, but I think it is the spiro.

I have my theory of acne after having it since 14 ( but not real bad until 18). I went on bcp at 18, and took it until 28. Then I was off and on over the years. I think the bcp did something to androgen receptors in my skin. I think the bcp is the worst thing a woman can do. Get a copper IUD and get off the synthetic hormones. BCP causes deficiencies in many vitamins and minerals, and I think it caused me to think and behave differently.

My dosage on spiro was 50mg the first 2 weeks, then 100 until 4 weeks ago, when I started taking 150.

I know how important it is to hear success stories, since on this board we are more likely to complain about what is not working.

I finally found the miracle cure!!!

Cherie

MemberMember
(@cotten)

Posted : 09/25/2007 1:48 pm

I started spiro at the end of June. My face was the worst it had ever been- cysts all up and down my jaw line areas. I'm 37 and have had acne. black heads and oily skin since 14, with occasional cysts. In June, I was seriously considering accutane after unsuccessful attempts to find a dr to give me spiro. My face hurt. I have tried EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING. I have spent tens thousands of dollars (I figure I have spent at least 1500/yr on average over the last 20 yrs) and endless hours of research.

In June, I went in crying- ready to start accutane, knowing that it would be 2 months before I could even start it. I was terrified of the side effects. Worse, I was afraid it wouldnat work.

This time I got spiro. My doc took the blood tests, and everything came out normal, but he let me continue the spiro after I argued that it was the androgen receptors in my skin that were the problem, not my testosterone levels.

3 months later (along with Retin A micro, duac and erythromycin) my face is near perfect. I don't even recognize it anymore. No backheads or oily skin. I have a few read marks from healing areas, and an occasional small zit that clears up in a day or two. My back and chest are clear and my skin feels so much smoother all over my whole body. I can wear my hair up! I can wear tank tops-yay! I can go make-up free!

I know there are a lot of concerns about side effects of spiro. I was REALLY thirsty when I started, but this has turned out to be a great thing. I only drink water now- and usually tons of it (I am sure this is only helping too!). Since I drink a lot, I don't really notice thirst. I pee a lot, no surprise. I usually get up twice in the night to pee. My periods have been normal. I started spotting this week, but I don't know if it is because I moved in with a roommate and she has her period this week (you know that weird syncing up thing), or if it is the spiro. I could care less. Sometimes I get dizzy if I bend over and get up fast. Since I take yoga, and it never happens in yoga, I have concluded it that happens I am probably either holding my breath or shallow breathing. I recently had blood work and everything is normal. Drinking alcohol has a much bigger impact than it used to. I feel shittier in the morning too. I donat think not drinking alcohol is a bad thing!

Next week I wean myself off of the erythromycin. I think it helped me with the IO caused by the Retin A. I have taken antibiotics in the past, but never with these results. My success could be the combo, but I think it is the spiro.

I have my theory of acne after having it since 14 ( but not real bad until 18). I went on bcp at 18, and took it until 28. Then I was off and on over the years. I think the bcp did something to androgen receptors in my skin. I think the bcp is the worst thing a woman can do. Get a copper IUD and get off the synthetic hormones. BCP causes deficiencies in many vitamins and minerals, and I think it caused me to think and behave differently.

My dosage on spiro was 50mg the first 2 weeks, then 100 until 4 weeks ago, when I started taking 150.

I know how important it is to hear success stories, since on this board we are more likely to complain about what is not working.

I finally found the miracle cure!!!

Cherie

Yeah, I definately believe that bc will do something to the hormone receptors in your skin. I did the diane thing for 7 years, and when I came off horrible cystic acne all up my jawline too. I have to hope that it can't be permanent, and right now I'm working with a naturopath and on a low GI diet with moderate exercise 4 time/ week. We'll see how that goes, but my next step is spiro. Thanks for the post! Have you noticed that it has affected your sex drive in any way? HBC did for me to the point that I was asexual... and I'd rather not go there again lol...

MemberMember
(@mylimage)

Posted : 09/25/2007 2:18 pm

Cotten,

I haven't noticed any decrease in my sex drive. If anything, it has gone up since I FEEL SEXIER WITH CLEAR SKIN!!!!

FWIW, I also tried supplements and diet changes for most of the last year. Although I feel better, it did nothing for my skin. I did notice that taking large doses of B5 (Pantothentic Acid) made my skin and hair less oily, but I don't take it in large doses anymore.

I can't stress enough that my skin has TRANSFORMED. I don't recognize it any more! I can use a magnified mirror and it doesn't freak me out! But the best thing is touching my face- it is smooth and not oily. I love it!

MemberMember
(@peachy_d225)

Posted : 09/25/2007 6:27 pm

Congrats!!! I've also found success with spiro. I've been taking 200 mg for about 9 months. Your results are only going to keep getting better and better! I love it! Like you, I was taking an antibiotic when I started (I had beeen taking antibiotics long-term prior to spiro). After about 2-3 months, my face seemed so much better, so I started to ween the antibiotic. I did not break out at all (even though in the past, everytime I would try to D/C an antibiotic I would break out horribly). Spiro is a miracle drug!!!!

MemberMember
(@twocents)

Posted : 09/26/2007 2:54 pm

This is all very encouraging - I began Spiro two months ago along with metformin and mircette bcp, and my face has been horrible. Knowing that it should get better from here makes me feel more hopeful! I'm 36 and have been dealing with acne for way too long. I was on accutane in my early twenties, and it seemed like a miracle drug. However, the results did not last, and when I was diagnosed with PCOS I knew that battling my acne would have to happen on the hormonal level.

Thanks for sharing your success!!

MemberMember
(@uhmh66)

Posted : 11/03/2007 6:44 pm

Wow, you sound just like me! My success story is very similar and same age as well. I absolutely LOVE Spiro it has been the miracle worker for my skin that I never really thought existed.

Good continued luck! I have been on Spiro for almost a year now with pretty consistent good results.

MemberMember
(@forum)

Posted : 04/23/2008 1:58 pm

this is so encouraging! good luck to everyone, i just finished week one :) @ 50 mg

MemberMember
(@tennis123)

Posted : 11/19/2017 2:14 pm

This is great to hear. I had great skin when I was on Yaz and 100mg Spiro. I stopped the yaz almost a year ago. My skin was great for a while, then I started breaking out- cysts on my chin, and the area under my nose- has anyone had cysts in that area of your face? My derm had me increase my spiro dose about a month ago. I am taking 150mg now. I also take a few supplements- dim, acnutrol, and super milk thistle. I wasn't very consistent for a bit, but I am back to being super consistent now. I am considering a short stent of antibiotics- does anyone think these are helpful for hormonal cystic acne??
I also use retin-a and aczone.
I am hoping the extra spiro kicks in soon! These cysts are making me crazy, I usually have them injected at the derm, so it is super expensive and I had one spot on my forehead atrophy pretty bad. So that is also extremely frustrating!!