Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey, so I have a question about medications that will take care of cysts for good....is there any kind of antibiotic (not necessarily Accutane) that will "cure" cysts? With regular care using topicals, I don't get any kind of acne except cysts on my chin. I'm taking minocycline, which really helps but I want to stop taking it because I've been using it for so long.

Thanks!

at one time, i was using topical erythromycin, which, eventually, stopped working. being on any antibiotic too long is bad because bacteria can become resistant to it. i've been able to prevent cysts/nodules using my regimen without antibiotics or retinols. see my sig for more info.

good luck!

thanks for the help, I've scheduled an appt. with my derm this friday so he can prescribe something different! hopefully there will be a short-term antibiotic or something that I can take, and ditch the mino.

thanks for the help, I've scheduled an appt. with my derm this friday so he can prescribe something different! hopefully there will be a short-term antibiotic or something that I can take, and ditch the mino.

Hydrogen peroxide is the King of all cyst killers!

You can get it from a chemist ( I get mine from Boots) but you have to ask at the pharmacy counter as it is not stored on the shelves.

3% is the recommended amount of concentrate. Simply soak a cotton wool ball in it and hold onto the affected area for 10 mins. It may stink, bubble, cause the area to turn white, but this is all normal. And I'm telling you, those suckers will be gone in days.

Antibiotics are rubbish in my opinion! They wear off and are no good long term.

Hydrogen peroxide kills mine faster than most products IF they've come to a head AND that head is already draining. I've heard it interferes with healing, though, so I only use it if I'm desperate, in pain, and the above stipulations are met. (It also bleaches out the cyst, I think, and turns the whole thing bright white until it dries up and falls off, but at that point, I'm desperate enough I don't care.)

^^^i believe that the thread starter wants to prevent cysts from developing, not just treat them once they've developed.

Oral steroid(medrol) worked best for me. I was in the same situation, only cysts. After 3 days I had no active acne on my skin, only red marks. I was on medrol for a month. At the end of the treatment I had 100% acne-clear skin, but after finishing the treatment everything restarted...