Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stel

Should I stop BCP or wait it out longer?

Ok, I'm 23, and have been on OTC for about 6 years now. I just ran out of BCP about a week and a half ago (got mine from the local health dept) and haven't scheduled another exam yet because of my work, but I will make an appt in the next day or so. Well, for the longest time, I've been wanting to stop birth control because I'm getting really tired of the idea of my hormones being tampered with. I know I will probably break out (hopefully not too bad), but I'm hoping that my hormones will balance out.

So, at the moment, my skin is looking really well. I've been off the pills for almost 2 weeks. For the ones who stopped the pill, is it normally when your period starts that you notice your skin breaking out?? I'm going to still get the pills just in case my face starts to get bad. Then, I guess, I'll just deal with this, as in a derm, when my insurance starts again in January...

My skin didn't start breaking out until 3 months after stopping. But this was when I also noticed my periods were heavy again like they used to be, and things were working "normally" again. Sometimes it takes up to 3 months for the hormones to get out of your system and for things to get back to normal.

This is so true! I went off OTC last january and it took me until almost may to start breaking out again. I started breaking out the worst I have in my entire life-it seemed like my skin just completely changed-it ruined my entire summer so I went back on OTC in june because I just couldn't take it anymore-now three months later I am just starting to clear up. If you want to go off OTC just remember that it may take a long time before your skin changes. My periods also changed a lot when I went off OTC which is also another reason why I went back on OTC. I couldn't get out of bed because the pain was so excruciatingly painful and sooooo heavy-my PMS was out of control. It felt like once a month I would completely loose my mind I would get so angry and frustrated over the tiniest things.

I just couldn't take it anymore. Since i've been back on OTC my periods are only 4 days long and sooooo light-I barely even bloat. I didn't even notice cramping this month, and I didn't get any PMS! My skin has been improving rapidly especially in the last month. Everything just keeps getting better and better.

I am not trying to scare you, I am reminding you that you may think in the long run this is a good idea (and that may be true) but just be aware of the fact that even a small break from BC may cause months of suffering (it did for me anyways), I wish someone would have told me that last year.

I really do hope this works out for you-it may take a long time for your skin to return to the way it was before BC but it may be better for you in the long run.

I am not trying to scare you, I am reminding you that you may think in the long run this is a good idea (and that may be true) but just be aware of the fact that even a small break from BC may cause months of suffering (it did for me anyways), I wish someone would have told me that last year.

WOW yes this is true! My skin also broke out worse than it had in my entire life. I had about 5 months of suffering and now I'm left with a bunch of scars...all from stopping birth control for only a 4 month period. It takes a LONG time for your skin to stop breaking out when you restart the pill too. I also am back on b/c of breakouts and because I can't deal with my heavy periods. It took months for my skin to calm down. I stopped birth control once before, for a few months, but not long enough that my cycle returned to normal so I didn't break out that time. Just be careful.

Thanks so much for the information guys! Wow... yeah it's scary thinking about my face exploding. Well, I just went to Planned Parenthood this afternoon and got some more BC. It's Othro Tri-Cyclen Lo though, and everything I've read about it on the forum is that it's crap... too bad I didn't check before I paid and left with it. :doubt:

I have to wait about 2 wks until I start the pill though, and I'm thinking that I might just go ahead and not take it. In January, I'll be considered a full-time student again and will be under my parents' health insurance. They said that if my skin takes a turn for the worst, we would look into other options ie Accutane, if it comes down to it. Honestly, I believe that my skin WILL breakout pretty bad w/o the BC. I'm just really unlucky like that...

Maybe I'll change my mind next month and take the pills 'til december or so. Either way though, I will stop in January. If my skin does well, then fine. Great, I'll save money with derms. If it goes all crazy, I want Accutane. I'm going to Italy next year to study art, and I really don't want to deal with this then.

Thanks so much for the information guys! Wow... yeah it's scary thinking about my face exploding. Well, I just went to Planned Parenthood this afternoon and got some more BC. It's Othro Tri-Cyclen Lo though, and everything I've read about it on the forum is that it's crap... too bad I didn't check before I paid and left with it. :doubt:

I have to wait about 2 wks until I start the pill though, and I'm thinking that I might just go ahead and not take it. In January, I'll be considered a full-time student again and will be under my parents' health insurance. They said that if my skin takes a turn for the worst, we would look into other options ie Accutane, if it comes down to it. Honestly, I believe that my skin WILL breakout pretty bad w/o the BC. I'm just really unlucky like that...

Maybe I'll change my mind next month and take the pills 'til december or so. Either way though, I will stop in January. If my skin does well, then fine. Great, I'll save money with derms. If it goes all crazy, I want Accutane. I'm going to Italy next year to study art, and I really don't want to deal with this then.

i'm thinking of going of the bcp next (i've been on it for about a year now), so please let me know what happens when you try it! i'm very confused though - if your skin goes back to how it was before being on the bcp, then how do you fix it when you're off it? i'm really scared that my skin will go horrible again. but somtimes i wonder about the whole chemical/hormone side of things and it feels a bit unnatural. what do most people do if they stop the bcp and have bad skin again? would they go for roaccutane or something? because i really don't want to do that! my doctor told me the bcp is good for 'riding over' the worst of bad skin till your natural hormones settle down, and that you have to go off it sometimes to see if your natural hormones have kicked in. but i know my skin will just return to how it was! so yes, let me know how it goes please and what you plan on doing in the long run.... thanks

i'm thinking of going of the bcp next (i've been on it for about a year now), so please let me know what happens when you try it! i'm very confused though - if your skin goes back to how it was before being on the bcp, then how do you fix it when you're off it? i'm really scared that my skin will go horrible again. but somtimes i wonder about the whole chemical/hormone side of things and it feels a bit unnatural. what do most people do if they stop the bcp and have bad skin again? would they go for roaccutane or something? because i really don't want to do that! my doctor told me the bcp is good for 'riding over' the worst of bad skin till your natural hormones settle down, and that you have to go off it sometimes to see if your natural hormones have kicked in. but i know my skin will just return to how it was! so yes, let me know how it goes please and what you plan on doing in the long run.... thanks

i believe it's best to have some sort of backup plan just in case your skin does revert back to the way it was, whether it be to try Dan's regimen or something else. if i can and if i really really need to, i'll go on Tane. honestly, i'd rather not, but having acne for almost 10 yrs now is getting to be rather annoying. from what i've read here on the forum, most women who stop bcp, end up breaking out and then try to go back on the pill, but it often takes longer before they see any results. many even wish that they had never stopped bcp. and i don't know about what your doc said about bcp being good to basically 'ride out' bad skin until your natural hormones kick in. i always thought that bc supresses your hormones, or just gets them to 'behave.' that's why when women stop taking them, their hormones flare up causing breakouts. i could be wrong, but that's what i always thought.

at the moment, i'm not taking any bcp, and my skin isn't all that bad. so.......yay!