Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

so I have been using Paula's Choice BHAs for about a month now. It seems as if every pore on my face is clogged/coming to a head. I am getting blackheads in places I never have before. My face has never looked so bad. Is this my skin purging? Or is my face having a bad reaction to the products? Please help!!

I haven't tried paula's choice products, but if my skin seemed to be reacting negatively to any product I would discontinue use of it for a week to see if things improve. If they don't then my guess is that you are just going through a bad breakout and if they do improve then you may be purging OR having a reaction to the products. A question I have for you is how are you using these products, whats your regimen roughly? and what products are you using specifically? Your skin could be so severely dried out that it is reacting by overproducing sebum and thus clogging your pores.

I am biased because I don't buy the whole "purging process" theory that a lot of these companies sell you to get you to ignore any breakouts you get from the use of their products. I believe that if you buy a product that is meant for treating acne-it should do just that. Just my opinion though. With my regimen things only got better and better and I never had an initial "purging stage".

Anyone who's tried paula's choice want to comment?

I haven't tried paula's choice products, but if my skin seemed to be reacting negatively to any product I would discontinue use of it for a week to see if things improve. If they don't then my guess is that you are just going through a bad breakout and if they do improve then you may be purging OR having a reaction to the products. A question I have for you is how are you using these products, whats your regimen roughly? and what products are you using specifically? Your skin could be so severely dried out that it is reacting by overproducing sebum and thus clogging your pores.

I am biased because I don't buy the whole "purging process" theory that a lot of these companies sell you to get you to ignore any breakouts you get from the use of their products. I believe that if you buy a product that is meant for treating acne-it should do just that. Just my opinion though. With my regimen things only got better and better and I never had an initial "purging stage".

Anyone who's tried paula's choice want to comment?

it is possible that my skin is too dried out. it has been flaking off a LOT.

my regimen:

AM: Wash with Olay gentle foaming cleanser

Apply Paula's Choice 1% BHA lotion

apply neutrogena moisturizer

apply makeup (noncomodogenic)

PM: Wash with Olay gentle foaming cleanser

Apply Paula's Choice 1% BHA gel

Apply neutrogena moisturizer

I think the gel is possibly too harsh for my skin, because as I said it has been flaking off quite a bit

Hey there,

I experimented with PC's 2% BHA gel a few weeks ago and it gave me my worst breakout EVER. I think it was just too harsh on my skin. It made me red and dry which in turn caused more pimples due to irritation. I would stop for a week or so and see if your skin improves. If you want to stick with the BHA, maybe cut it down to once a day, or once every two days in order to give you skin a break somtimes. Good luck! :)

I haven't seen very many people apply BHAs twice a day when the first start them. Have you been using it twice a day since you started? You might drop down to once a day and see if your skin calms down. Personally, Paula's BHA products did not work for me, but others have had good luck with them.

i suggest to U to use Acne-Aid soap it really works for all acne types, my sister and I tried it and it work for both of us. :surprised: