Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
greenskies

Am I lactose intolerant???

This has come as a real shock to me, but I think I might be lactose intolerant. Maybe I'm overreacting, it's just that I used to be one of those people who eats cereal for every meal. There were times I would have like 8 bowls in a day. I never even considered that all that milk could be the cause of my acne, which has ranged from mild to moderate since middle school. Now that I'm in college, though, I rarely drink milk. And-- surprise surprise-- my acne has gone down a lot. To the point where I go for weeks without a single breakout.

But that's not all... over the past year I've been periodically getting these really intense stomach aches. Like, I can barely walk for a couple hours. The past couple times it's happened, I've noticed it's been right after drinking a glass of milk. In fact, last time it happened after just a couple sips of milk.

Now, all the signs seem to indicate that I'm definitely lactose intolerant, right? What I'm wondering is how I went for so long drinking all that milk with my cereal without getting these stomach aches. Why would acne have been my only symptom of lactose intolerance? I'm also wondering if there's some way I can be sure I really am lactose intolerant without just drinking a shitload of milk and waiting for a stomach ache or an acne flair up. For one thing, the stomach aches feel like death, and for another, I don't want to be left with a whole new batch of red marks from a breakout. So can a hospital give me some kind of test for lactose intolerance? Forgive my naivete, I just really don't know anything about lactose intolerance and what this means for me. Do I have to start checking the ingredients in everything I eat? Are there... like... levels of lactose intolerance? Could I be just mildly intolerant??? I'M FREAKING OUT

ok. i'm ok. thanks for your help.

This has come as a real shock to me, but I think I might be lactose intolerant. Maybe I'm overreacting, it's just that I used to be one of those people who eats cereal for every meal. There were times I would have like 8 bowls in a day. I never even considered that all that milk could be the cause of my acne, which has ranged from mild to moderate since middle school. Now that I'm in college, though, I rarely drink milk. And-- surprise surprise-- my acne has gone down a lot. To the point where I go for weeks without a single breakout.

But that's not all... over the past year I've been periodically getting these really intense stomach aches. Like, I can barely walk for a couple hours. The past couple times it's happened, I've noticed it's been right after drinking a glass of milk. In fact, last time it happened after just a couple sips of milk.

Now, all the signs seem to indicate that I'm definitely lactose intolerant, right? What I'm wondering is how I went for so long drinking all that milk with my cereal without getting these stomach aches. Why would acne have been my only symptom of lactose intolerance? I'm also wondering if there's some way I can be sure I really am lactose intolerant without just drinking a shitload of milk and waiting for a stomach ache or an acne flair up. For one thing, the stomach aches feel like death, and for another, I don't want to be left with a whole new batch of red marks from a breakout. So can a hospital give me some kind of test for lactose intolerance? Forgive my naivete, I just really don't know anything about lactose intolerance and what this means for me. Do I have to start checking the ingredients in everything I eat? Are there... like... levels of lactose intolerance? Could I be just mildly intolerant??? I'M FREAKING OUT

i also have the same problem and well i did kind of the same but along with protein shakes n milk, and cereal right after because i was working out alot...but then thats when i was in Iraq so had no other choice of calcium or milk....but now i drink the i think 2% skim milk or soymilk...at first it will taste kind of like wtf but you'll get used to it....some say its good some bad but if u say drink soymilk in the morning and the 2% in the evening you should be fine cause your having a little of both worlds without having those upset stomachs i so know what your talking about...plus there's also lactose free ice creams

I never really drank milk, but have always loved cheese and creamy dishes.

Then one day I went out for lunch and hadn't eaten breakfast. I ordered a creamy pasta dish and no sooner had I finished it, I was rushing off to the toilet, the meal went straight through me.

I found that if I had any type of dairy on an empty stomach, it would cause me stomach upsets. Also, I found the older I got the less tolerant I was of dairy.

I now drink no fat milk in my coffee (can't drink black coffee), never eat creamy dishes and rarely eat cheese. My acne has cleared, but it's the stomach upsets that made me stop dairy.

I have never seen the need to see a doctor about this as my body told me what I needed to know about my tolerance to dairy.

It's very common for lactose intolerance to develop as you get older. What happens is that the enzyme that helps you digest lactose slowly goes down as you age until you start to get problems.

You can tell your doctor you get bad stomach aches after drinking milk and they'll give you a lactose intolerance test. They make you drink some milk and then measure your breathe over a period of time to see if they can detect malabsorption.

It's very common for lactose intolerance to develop as you get older. What happens is that the enzyme that helps you digest lactose slowly goes down as you age until you start to get problems.

You can tell your doctor you get bad stomach aches after drinking milk and they'll give you a lactose intolerance test. They make you drink some milk and then measure your breathe over a period of time to see if they can detect malabsorption.

Most people who are lactose intolerant can withstand a little bit of dairy but not much. If you are lactose intolerant you won't have to look at every label or really be that cautious, just make sure not to overdo it. You could also have a milk allergy, it can be very hard to distinguish, and you might want to get tested for that too.

I am lactose intolerant but not allergic to milk, and it really is not so bad. I used to take pills that had the lactase enzyme right before I consumed dairy, but later I just started avoiding milk altogether. You can also take probiotics that produce the lactase enzyme and you will be able to withstand larger amounts of milk without getting digestion issues. But if milk causes acne for you, then you should probably just avoid it altogether.