Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
steph_ann

When to go off Minocycline

Okay I've been on Minocycline for about a 6 months, along with Retin A micro and it's really worked well for me. However, I'm really starting to freak out because I'm hearing about how if you stay on antibiotics for too long it can be harmful, but if you go off them you will break out like crazy. So I truly have no idea what to do. My doc gave me some Duac and said I could use it on my face when I decide to go off Minocycline but I'm afraid it wont work and my skin will still get really bad

Does anyone have any experience with going off Minocycline or using Duac?

Okay I've been on Minocycline for about a 6 months, along with Retin A micro and it's really worked well for me. However, I'm really starting to freak out because I'm hearing about how if you stay on antibiotics for too long it can be harmful, but if you go off them you will break out like crazy. So I truly have no idea what to do. My doc gave me some Duac and said I could use it on my face when I decide to go off Minocycline but I'm afraid it wont work and my skin will still get really bad

Does anyone have any experience with going off Minocycline or using Duac?

When I went off Mino I kept using my topical treatment (which was clindoxyl), and my acne was under control still. I could have beneficiated from changes in my topical treatment since I was no longer combining it with Mino, but overall my acne never got to the point it was before Mino. It helped me so much, hope it will be alright with you! :) Don't worry!

:comfort:

It's actually pretty normal to break out just a bit when you stop an antibiotic, although everyone wishes once you get off your acne free... but yeah... pretty normal, if you have a little break out just apply some topicals.. that should control it..

well I've tried to go off mino for about 2 years now, but everytime I do my acne will get bad--like cysts, under the skin, etc. and mino is the only thing that seems to keep it at bay. I wish I could go off mino! I was thinking of using Duac, it makes my skin dry though (at least BenzaClin did, which is the same thing). Also, I use Retin-A everyday and I really like it.

well I've tried to go off mino for about 2 years now, but everytime I do my acne will get bad--like cysts, under the skin, etc. and mino is the only thing that seems to keep it at bay. I wish I could go off mino! I was thinking of using Duac, it makes my skin dry though (at least BenzaClin did, which is the same thing). Also, I use Retin-A everyday and I really like it.

What happens is that the antibiotic does kill some bacteria but just a small percentage of it, after it kills the small population to the bacteria the leftover produces even more and becomes stronger, thus more acne.

You could take antibiotics for years and be fine. I don't care what studies say, it's not going to make or brake your body. You could have worse things happen to you from eating too much broccoli, than by taking antibiotics for extended periods of time. MOST people take antibiotics for a few years, and then there bodies are usually done with the entire acne phase. Usually 16-22 ....after that most people don't them anymore. If you're 40 and are taking antibiotics for acne, then you need to stop and go to a REAL dermatologist. No dermatologist in their right mind would waste their time trying to cure you with antibiotics. If you're an adult ( over 30+) get your ass on some Accutane. For the majority, a lot of the crowd on here are young and won't statistically stay on antibiotics for extended periods anyways.

I feel so relieved and happy for my almost clear skin, today, I saw this one kid have really bad, cystic acne. Not trying to offend anyone with cystic acne but this kids' face look like he just got burned by fire, I felt soooo bad for him and wanted to help him out. But yeah.... ^^ agree with the age stuff...

You could take antibiotics for years and be fine. I don't care what studies say, it's not going to make or brake your body. You could have worse things happen to you from eating too much broccoli, than by taking antibiotics for extended periods of time. MOST people take antibiotics for a few years, and then there bodies are usually done with the entire acne phase. Usually 16-22 ....after that most people don't them anymore. If you're 40 and are taking antibiotics for acne, then you need to stop and go to a REAL dermatologist. No dermatologist in their right mind would waste their time trying to cure you with antibiotics. If you're an adult ( over 30+) get your ass on some Accutane. For the majority, a lot of the crowd on here are young and won't statistically stay on antibiotics for extended periods anyways.

As said again, antibiotics are not classified as a risky drug. They're pretty simple and harmless. Take them for 6 month to a year, get everything under control and hope your hormones stop playing games. I look at it like this, even if antibiotics do cut my life short...say 5 years, big damn deal....it's a VERY fair price to pay for enjoying your teen years and your 20's. Who the hell wants to look back when they're older and say, "Wow, i really hated how i looked and i regret not going anywhere or doing anything on account of me being depressed because of my acne" ....take the damn pills and deal with the problems that may happen when you're 90. By that time, not much matters anyways. Enjoy your youth. You have it once.

well lets put it this way, i've been on mino for a year then i stopped it, a year later decided to start it again for persistant mild acne with hormonal overtones, i guess i've been on mino for a year and a half. My liver is fine, my blood work is great. i'm doing great and clearly its not created immunity.

so don't beleive everything you hear.

Staying on antibiotics long-term is not ok for many reasons. One being that antibiotics disrupt the balance of good and bad bacteria in your body. This can have bad consequences when you do this long-term. The other is that over-use of antibiotics leads to bacteria developing strains that are resistant to it. This affects you...the drug will no longer work for you. But it also affects everyone...the drug will no longer work for anyone with this strain of bacteria and any other resistant strain that develops. The more antibiotics are used in society, the more drug-resistant strains of bacteria develop. This leads to more people having no success when treated with antibiotics. So you may eventually run out of antibiotics to use to treat your particular infection. Or the next time you try the antibiotic to treat your acne, the bacteria in your skin may have mutated to prevent it from being killed by the drug. Stopping and starting antibiotics increases the chances of this happening, but this also usually happens eventually if you use it for a long time. The bacteria wants to survive, so it eventually figures out how to outsmart the drug. And then what? If you have a serious or life-threatening infection, well...that's a scary place to be in. This is why new antibiotics are constantly being developed and why some work sometimes, and some don't. It all depends on the strain of bacteria you have in your body.

The maximum amount of time you should take an antibiotic for acne is about 6 months. It is used simply to get the bacteria under control, that's it. If you are a teenager, the acne can come back. If you are an adult, as long as you do maintenance treatment afterwards (topical medication, hormonal treatment, etc.) you should not see a return of the acne. At least not to the extent it was. This is often true for teenagers as well - appropriate maintenance treatment keeps acne in remission. There is a small percentage of the population that this is not true for, and that have to stay on antibiotics long term. But it is not common and is not an ideal solution.

Staying on antibiotics long-term is not ok for many reasons. One being that antibiotics disrupt the balance of good and bad bacteria in your body. This can have bad consequences when you do this long-term. The other is that over-use of antibiotics leads to bacteria developing strains that are resistant to it. This affects you...the drug will no longer work for you. But it also affects everyone...the drug will no longer work for anyone with this strain of bacteria and any other resistant strain that develops. The more antibiotics are used in society, the more drug-resistant strains of bacteria develop. This leads to more people having no success when treated with antibiotics. So you may eventually run out of antibiotics to use to treat your particular infection. Or the next time you try the antibiotic to treat your acne, the bacteria in your skin may have mutated to prevent it from being killed by the drug. Stopping and starting antibiotics increases the chances of this happening, but this also usually happens eventually if you use it for a long time. The bacteria wants to survive, so it eventually figures out how to outsmart the drug. And then what? If you have a serious or life-threatening infection, well...that's a scary place to be in. This is why new antibiotics are constantly being developed and why some work sometimes, and some don't. It all depends on the strain of bacteria you have in your body.

The maximum amount of time you should take an antibiotic for acne is about 6 months. It is used simply to get the bacteria under control, that's it. If you are a teenager, the acne can come back. If you are an adult, as long as you do maintenance treatment afterwards (topical medication, hormonal treatment, etc.) you should not see a return of the acne. At least not to the extent it was. This is often true for teenagers as well - appropriate maintenance treatment keeps acne in remission. There is a small percentage of the population that this is not true for, and that have to stay on antibiotics long term. But it is not common and is not an ideal solution.

First off penicillin isn't going to help your acne. You're NOT going to get immune. Don't worry about this kind of stuff...it's like saying "Oh noes, an asteroid is going to strike the earth and kill us all"

Use Doxy, 6-12 months later you might notice it's less effective.

Use Mino, 6-12 months later you might notice it's less effective.

Use Bactrim, you'll probably be clear completely or close to it. Again, 6-12 months later.

You can just keep jumping antibiotics. You'll NEVER run out of antibiotics to take...it's FOOLISH to even theorize that you'll be able to cycle through all the oral antibiotic acne treatments, and become immune to them all. It won't happen. You would need AT LEAST 5 years for all of this to happen. And that's just considering the Tetracycline family and Bactrim. There are other antibiotics. People who get paranoid about antibiotics are quite annoying. It's not going to happen.

Source you may say? My mom is an ER Doctor. You'd have to go above and beyond the limits of the human body to become immune to all antibody treatments. It's next to impossible. Besides, after a while, your bodies immunity to a certain antibiotic wears off anyways....so say Doxy stops working for you after 1 year....5 years later you shouldn't be immune to it.

Using minocycline for as little as 17 months can lead to a blue-gray discoloration of the gums, peridontal bone, and teeth. And, unlike the periodontal bone, teeth discoloration from minocycline does not always resolve after discontinuation of the therapy. You can't cover teeth with tinted Clearasil or make-up like you may be able to do with your acne.

I know what and how you are feeling. When I was on minocycline, I didn't have a pimple one and loved it!! I felt pretty, attractive, and self-confident. I was able to go anywhere and do anything! When my derm took me off of the minocycline, I was mad, sad, paranoid, nervous, etc. I stayed acne free for 5 years.

This may or may not pertain to you but if you are taking minocycline and happen to become pregnant while on the therapy, there is a possibility that it would affect your baby's teeth as well. The last 2 weeks I was on therapy, I got pregnant with our second child. My derm said the baby would be fine as it was only a short period of me taking it. It is long-term usage that could harm the baby's teeth.