Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wigley

question about proactive

About a week ago I used proactive over the weekend. I know at first it probably makes your skin worse than better. I have cystic acne pastules/nodules just about on my whole face and it seemed like proactive was really helping the acne fade away almost in only two days but it made my face really pale blotchy looking. it made it oily of course too and it also burns my eyes and I try my best to keep it away from my eyes. Are these just side effect do these side effects go away if you stick with it or not?

I think ProActive even says it will get worse in the beginning.

It's like that with DKR as well. Gets worse at the beginning but after 4-8 weeks you'll have good results (depending on severeness).

Just make sure you follow the instructions carefully.

You shouldn't be using Proactiv anywhere near your eyes. If you're getting eye irritation, you're either using it too close to the eye area or you're using too much.

Also, if your skin is becoming irritated, maybe you're using too much of the product. According to a Proactiv rep who comes on the local shopping channel, you should use the products sparingly (i.e. about a quarter's size of the cleanser, 3-4 taps of the toner on cotton for face and neck and about the size of a pea of the lotion to cover entire face and neck).

Yes, when I use Proactiv, I find the skin does tend to get oily. They have Daily Oil Control to address this issue. It is to be applied after the Revitalizing Toner and before the Repairing Lotion.

Some people complain that Proactiv seems to stop working for them after a period of use. As a piece of advice, as various sources of literature state and from personal experience, over time the skin adapts to the glycolic acid (an essential ingredient for appropriate exfoliation of the skin to keep the pores clear). As such, a week or 2 after becoming clear, I discontinue use of the basic Proactiv products. To maintain the results, you can use either Proactiv Solution Oil-Free Moisturizer w/SPF 15 or Proactiv Solution Green Tea Moisturizer for the AM and Proactiv Solution Clarifying Night Cream (has salicylic acid and retinol) for the PM. When I start to break out again, I go back to the basic line and it core products work just fine.

I'm glad Proactiv is working for you.

Hey there! Proactic seems to work for a lot of people but it actually made my condition worse.

I used it for 2 months when I had really mild acne. I'm talking 1 - 2 spots a week, MAX. It worked wonders for the first month, I had no spots but then all of a sudden I started breaking out with rather large cystic acne (something i've never had before..) and my skin is the type that gets scarred easily. I went on antibiotics and I am now on accutane. I first started using proactiv 4 months ago.

Don't get discouraged by my post, I just wanted to post my experience with you. Everyones skin is different and hell it might even be ur cure. I hope it works for you :). Good luck!

I used proactiv for 3 months and my skin did not get worse but it also didn't get better. I recently started using dan's gentle cleanser and my skin is getting better but I still have some bumps on my chin. You might want to take a supplement along with a good cleanser. After seeing the results nyugirl had with ClearComplex I'm thinking about trying it.