Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NdnRomeo

Can accutane be prescribed for mild acne if antibiotics don't work?

I basically did not react well to minocycline since it gave me side effects. Now the doctor gave me bactrim. What happens if this does not work? Is it possible to get put on accutane even though I have mild acne under the conditions that the other antibiotics do not work? Or do they just not put you on accutane unless you have moderate acne?

I'm scared that nothing will work and I won't have an option to go on accutane since my acne is classified as 'mild' :(

Has anyone here with mild acne been put on accutane when nothing else worked for them?

well. it depends on the doctor. accutane (like any other medication) can be prescribed for any condition that the doctor sees fit. you will probably be prescribed accutane if the bactrim doesn't help. are you on any topicals as well? it's actually better to be on antibiotics before you are on accutane anyway so the acne is somewhat under control and you don't get an acne flare at the begining of treatment with accutane. my acne was actually pretty mild when i started accutane. i had bad cystic acne before i started any antibiotic/topical treatment. but those treatments got it somewhat under control. i was still prescribed accutane anyway.

did you ask your doctor about accutane? it's probably actually better to see a dermatologist about accutane than a gp if you can.

well. it depends on the doctor. accutane (like any other medication) can be prescribed for any condition that the doctor sees fit. you will probably be prescribed accutane if the bactrim doesn't help. are you on any topicals as well? it's actually better to be on antibiotics before you are on accutane anyway so the acne is somewhat under control and you don't get an acne flare at the begining of treatment with accutane. my acne was actually pretty mild when i started accutane. i had bad cystic acne before i started any antibiotic/topical treatment. but those treatments got it somewhat under control. i was still prescribed accutane anyway.

Thanks Jordan. I always appreciate your responses!

I am on Benzaclin that I use topically at night time (since the sun exposure was harsh) but very little since it dries me out a lot. The antibiotics did kill existing acne lesions while I was on it, but after getting off of it and in between bactrim it flared up again.

I hope bactrim works. I have heard scary stories about the side effects of it.

my doctor put me on antibiotics for one month to please the insurance company (we had to say we tried antibiotics before Accutane can be considered), but she knew I didnt want to go on antibiotics because they made me nauseous and didnt work in the past. So it really does depend on the doctor.