Notifications
Clear all

do shallow scars go away after accutane?

MemberMember
(@soul78)

Posted : 09/23/2007 1:44 pm

if your scarring is somewhat superficial an only really evident in certain lighting, is it fair to say that it will go away after accutane? I don't care if it takes a year of retin-a etc. just hope they do not stay...never had scars from acne before, not shallow or anything so not sure?

what are peoples experiences with this?

thanks

MemberMember
(@tenten)

Posted : 09/23/2007 8:13 pm

I have shallow scarring I think some have got better I'm 4 months in. Ive heard it helps and ive seen ppl with scars in the galleries have no scars afterwards...so who knows. I hope so though.

MemberMember
(@hoofy)

Posted : 10/11/2007 9:52 am

me too

MemberMember
(@tegra)

Posted : 10/11/2007 5:33 pm

me 3

MemberMember
(@utdsoccer18)

Posted : 10/11/2007 11:37 pm

same here..... i notice the scars but no one else does.. still want it to go away though..... i just started accutane like 2 days ago....ill let yall know how it goes

MemberMember
(@swab)

Posted : 10/12/2007 12:04 am

when i look close, im noticing more scars too :(

MemberMember
(@maddy001)

Posted : 10/12/2007 8:27 am

Actually its because you have stop breaking out or have less acne that's why you start noticing about the scars, its actually there in the first place but you didn't really notice initially because of the acne. That's what happened to me. I always thought that i never had any scarring but once my acne was down, I couldn't help noticing that I have quite a lot of scars, the type that looks like pin-holes( Needle-like), its not very visible but can be seen in bright light. I told my derm about it and he said that its fine and it will all fill up by the end of my course.

Right now, I'm almost into 4 and a half month and ya, most of the scars have filled up and my skin is pretty even except for the more stubborn ones. My red marks have also gone also. So ya it will be much better when you finish your course, otherwise use Retin-A to finish the job.

MemberMember
(@soul78)

Posted : 10/12/2007 5:43 pm

I don't think people really understood the question correctly...we were asking if they go away or reduce a lot *after* accutane not while taking accutane.

input from people who are 6-12 months post accutane would be great, to hear if they had improvement or remission of shallow scarring etc.

MemberMember
(@lamarr1986)

Posted : 10/12/2007 9:11 pm

7 months post tane and my scars have definenetly improved ( i still gain scarring from something else going on with my body but you guys need not worry about that)

I would say they have sofened and filled in so that the appearance is atleast 50-60% better, they haven't gone completely though...

MemberMember
(@mm8)

Posted : 10/15/2007 4:49 pm

More than 3 months post and NOTHING has improved. The scars are still present and so are the redmarks. Besides, I'm getting my acne back. Accutane is a joke. If the scars can't be removed six months post Accutane I will sue.

MemberMember
(@matt_08)

Posted : 10/15/2007 5:41 pm

4 months post tane.....scars keep on improving! you just have to wait

old scars dont go away

MemberMember
(@noremac)

Posted : 10/15/2007 8:03 pm

i'm hoping more like 2 weeks-1 month...

MemberMember
(@elizabethmargot)

Posted : 10/18/2007 1:21 pm

anybody.......????????????????? can shallow scars actually fill in? my derm swears they can/do...

MemberMember
(@soul78)

Posted : 10/18/2007 4:29 pm

elizabethmargot...when you wash your face and run your fingers gently over your shallow scarring, can you feel anything? Is it rough or can you feel the divets, cause I can't but I can see them. In some lights I look in the mirror and not bad at all, other lights I feel like I got punched in the stomach when I look at them...

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 10/18/2007 5:16 pm

Some of my shallow scars that occured prior to Accutane completely vanished by several months after I'd stopped accutane. Some of the larger ones improved slightly.

MemberMember
(@rockbell)

Posted : 10/21/2007 11:14 am

I'm 2 months post accutane, and it's really hard for me to decide if my scars got better or not. The problem is I have some brown marks that I'm worried about. But like how I was on accutane, I'm just gonna let it run its after course and then decide to panic or be thankful.

MemberMember
(@kkong)

Posted : 02/27/2013 7:11 am

7 months post tane and my scars have definenetly improved ( i still gain scarring from something else going on with my body but you guys need not worry about that)

I would say they have sofened and filled in so that the appearance is atleast 50-60% better, they haven't gone completely though...

Hi, did your scars get better at the end? So they did fill in, right? I am worried myself.

Hi...Can more post-tane people comment on this please? Did the scars fill in? How long did it take? Did you do anything that helped with the healing process? Thanks!

Some of my shallow scars that occured prior to Accutane completely vanished by several months after I'd stopped accutane. Some of the larger ones improved slightly.

the larger ones from prior to Accutane? how about ones from during Accutane?

MemberMember
(@sadformydaughter)

Posted : 02/27/2013 5:41 pm

My 17 year old daughter had some pretty significant scarring prior to her 8 month course of accutane. That was the reason for her doctor prescribing it for her; her acne actually wasn't severe (a couple cysts at most, mainly pustules), but everything was leaving not just a red mark that would take up to a year to go away, but also an indented scar. During her course she actually had a lot more acne than prior to taking accutane, and she broke out the entire time, up until about 3 weeks after her course ended, when she started using a prescribed sulfur face wash that has been working amazingly well. She has been completely clear now for over two months - heavenly! But the acne that she was getting on accutane was very superficial, thank God, and none of it left any marks at all. That allowed her scarring from before accutane to heal, and let me tell you, it's been nothing short of a miracle. Her doctor told us that he thought that because she's young and still producing a lot of collagen that she'd have little to no scarring once her course was over, and we were very skeptical, but he was right! She actually has beautiful skin, something that I never thought would be possible for her. For so long she hid behind her long hair, so embarrassed, and now she's looking at different ways to wear her hair up for her senior prom! As her mother, I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful it feels to see her get her life back. I thank God every day for her caring dermatologist who saw how her acne was affecting her life and was willing to help her.

So, in my daughters case, her indented scarring went away, without the help of any topicals and only taking accutane. She covers up two tiny marks on her right cheek and a couple broken blood vessels on her nose, powders her nose, and she's done with her makeup. She doesn't even wear powder on her cheeks. It is simply amazing knowing what her cheeks looked like a year ago.

Noellis liked
MemberMember
(@kkong)

Posted : 02/28/2013 7:14 am

My 17 year old daughter had some pretty significant scarring prior to her 8 month course of accutane. That was the reason for her doctor prescribing it for her; her acne actually wasn't severe (a couple cysts at most, mainly pustules), but everything was leaving not just a red mark that would take up to a year to go away, but also an indented scar. During her course she actually had a lot more acne than prior to taking accutane, and she broke out the entire time, up until about 3 weeks after her course ended, when she started using a prescribed sulfur face wash that has been working amazingly well. She has been completely clear now for over two months - heavenly! But the acne that she was getting on accutane was very superficial, thank God, and none of it left any marks at all. That allowed her scarring from before accutane to heal, and let me tell you, it's been nothing short of a miracle. Her doctor told us that he thought that because she's young and still producing a lot of collagen that she'd have little to no scarring once her course was over, and we were very skeptical, but he was right! She actually has beautiful skin, something that I never thought would be possible for her. For so long she hid behind her long hair, so embarrassed, and now she's looking at different ways to wear her hair up for her senior prom! As her mother, I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful it feels to see her get her life back. I thank God every day for her caring dermatologist who saw how her acne was affecting her life and was willing to help her.

So, in my daughters case, her indented scarring went away, without the help of any topicals and only taking accutane. She covers up two tiny marks on her right cheek and a couple broken blood vessels on her nose, powders her nose, and she's done with her makeup. She doesn't even wear powder on her cheeks. It is simply amazing knowing what her cheeks looked like a year ago.

Thanks for sharing! Glad to hear that your daughter's scars went away. It gave me a lot more confidence. Now I know that I just need to be patient. I am almost finished with my 6 months course of Accutance and got some very bad scars during the course. And I am a girl. :(

MemberMember
(@sadformydaughter)

Posted : 02/28/2013 9:41 am

Thanks for sharing! Glad to hear that your daughter's scars went away. It gave me a lot more confidence. Now I know that I just need to be patient. I am almost finished with my 6 months course of Accutance and got some very bad scars during the course. And I am a girl. sad.png

You're welcome! Although I know that some people are left with permanent scarring, time can really do amazing things for the skin, especially if you're young. It's sure to improve. Just hang in there and stay strong. I certainly know how upsetting it is, but there is hope.

MemberMember
(@kkong)

Posted : 02/28/2013 10:51 am

Thanks for sharing! Glad to hear that your daughter's scars went away. It gave me a lot more confidence. Now I know that I just need to be patient. I am almost finished with my 6 months course of Accutance and got some very bad scars during the course. And I am a girl. sad.png

>You're welcome! Although I know that some people are left with permanent scarring, time can really do amazing things for the skin, especially if you're young. It's sure to improve. Just hang in there and stay strong. I certainly know how upsetting it is, but there is hope.

permanent scarring? :(

MemberMember
(@sadformydaughter)

Posted : 02/28/2013 3:42 pm

I don't mean to upset you, but that is a possibility when someone suffers from acne. When my daughter was experiencing her scarring, every day I would read the scar forum searching for success stories that people had with treatments, believing that one day she would have to have procedures done to help her scarring. My heart ached reading all of the stories of people who are dealing with acne scarring. My daughter has a friend who is 22 now and acne free, but who has a lot of scarring from his very severe acne in high school. So permanent scarring does happen, but not to everyone.

My daughter has been very fortunate, and I hope that you will be, too. I wanted to share her story so that people can read about a positive outcome and have hope that it is possible for indented scarring (not just red marks, because I think people confuse the two a lot) to go away over time. Only time will tell, but I'm sure that no matter what, things will improve to some degree for you. My daughter has seen pictures of her friend from a few years ago, and he looks much better now, and he hasn't even had any treatments. I know how hard it is waiting and not knowing how you will heal, but stay positive because now that you've taken care of the acne, your face can have the chance to heal. I so very much understand what you are going through.

MemberMember
(@worriedmom4ever)

Posted : 06/25/2013 3:51 pm

I don't mean to upset you, but that is a possibility when someone suffers from acne. When my daughter was experiencing her scarring, every day I would read the scar forum searching for success stories that people had with treatments, believing that one day she would have to have procedures done to help her scarring. My heart ached reading all of the stories of people who are dealing with acne scarring. My daughter has a friend who is 22 now and acne free, but who has a lot of scarring from his very severe acne in high school. So permanent scarring does happen, but not to everyone.

My daughter has been very fortunate, and I hope that you will be, too. I wanted to share her story so that people can read about a positive outcome and have hope that it is possible for indented scarring (not just red marks, because I think people confuse the two a lot) to go away over time. Only time will tell, but I'm sure that no matter what, things will improve to some degree for you. My daughter has seen pictures of her friend from a few years ago, and he looks much better now, and he hasn't even had any treatments. I know how hard it is waiting and not knowing how you will heal, but stay positive because now that you've taken care of the acne, your face can have the chance to heal. I so very much understand what you are going through.

It has been since February and I am wondering if "sadformydaughter" is still free of indented scarring. Also, of all the other posts here, if any has experienced a positive outcome from their indented scarring - not pigmentation.

MemberMember
(@sadformydaughter)

Posted : 06/25/2013 10:45 pm

Yes, my daughter is still acne free (besides the odd small pimple) and is enjoying actually having beautiful skin. Accutane was nothing short of a miracle for her.

MemberMember
(@worriedmom4ever)

Posted : 06/28/2013 6:12 am

Yes, my daughter is still acne free (besides the odd small pimple) and is enjoying actually having beautiful skin. Accutane was nothing short of a miracle for her.

Thank you so much for continuing to post on this forum! It is so disheartening when posters stop abruptly and you don't know the end results of their treatments!! What did your daughter use for a moisturizer? What was her dosage/length? And what were her worst side effects? I am unnerved as my daughter is heading to college and will not be with me during her treatment... worried sick about this whole process. Any helpful information you could provide would be appreciated!!!