Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
poordaughterhasacne

anybody mica sensitive???

No, it's not a common skin irritant. Reactions to it seem very, very, very rare. There's always going to be someone who reacts to something (ie. some people are allergic to strawberries, but that doesn't make them toxic in general).

It does not bother my skin.

once again, it's not the same for everyone. most people will say it's not irritating but it was for me at least which is why i cant use everyday mmu, alima mmu, joppa mmu, and luminiare. on the other hand, bism. ox. that everyone here at acne.org (BE mmu haters) hates is actually okay for me, i dont feel any itchness or any breakout. so really, u just gota try it and find out.

I use Prevage, an antioxidant lotion which contains mica. Some people do have an unpleasant reaction to it .... the idebenone gets blamed because it's the active ingredient, but I wonder if the mica might not be the problem for some people?

once again, it's not the same for everyone. most people will say it's not irritating but it was for me at least which is why i cant use everyday mmu, alima mmu, joppa mmu, and luminiare. on the other hand, bism. ox. that everyone here at acne.org (BE mmu haters) hates is actually okay for me, i dont feel any itchness or any breakout. so really, u just gota try it and find out.

I seem to have problems with mica IF it is a LARGE percentage of the product. When I was using a finishing dust that was ALL mica, I broke out horribly. When I stopped using it, the breakouts stopped. I can use mineral makeups that have it as a SMALLER percentage of their ingredients list.

There are some mineral makeup makers that offer a mica free formula. I know Meow offers one - and I think if you Google you might find more.

You could email the maker I'm currently trying and ask if she would make a mica free product just for your daughter. It wouldn't hurt to ask. Some makers will do it, some won't.

I just googled to see who makes Mica free formulas. I found these:

----------------------

(EDITED Nov 2, 2007)

See post below - BEAUTY BLISS has a matte formula without mica according to Carabara!

---------------------

Meow

IGNORE my note that said they had a mica free formula - no wonder it still made my face stung when I tried their product, it still has mica as the first ingredient! Doh! But they SAY it is safer for mica sensitive individuals. Now I know why it stung my face!! Doh and double Doh!

--------------

Cory Cosmetics: Mica Free

http://www.corycosmetics.com/whats_in_our_cosmetics.htm

Primer Powders kaolin clay, zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, iron oxides

Foundations: titanium dioxide, iron oxides

Concealers titanium dioxide, iron oxides

I'm pretty sure BE has mica....

:checks:

Yes, it does.

Ingredients:

Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide, Mica, Bismuth Oxychloride, Iron Oxides.

I'm pretty sure BE has mica....

:checks:

Yes, it does.

Ingredients:

Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide, Mica, Bismuth Oxychloride, Iron Oxides.

http://earthsbeauty.com/

Excellent makeup for those of us overly sensitive to fillers - the SPF 15 version has better coverage.

Mica and bismuth free - no 'sericite' either (another name for mica)

I just googled to see who makes Mica free formulas. I found these:

----------------------

EDITED TO REMOVE BEAUTY BLISS - I re-read it and see Mica is the first ingedient even though they SAID mica free. I should read before I paste!

Beauty Bliss - Original Coverage:

Ingredients: Mica, Magnesium Stearate, Titanium Dioxide, Kaolin Clay, Zinc Oxide, Iron Oxides. May contain Ch. Oxide Green, Ultramarine Blue

http://www.beautyblisscosmetics.com/catalog.php?category=3

Beauty Bliss - Heavy Coverage:

Ingredients: Mica, Magnesium Stearate, Titanium Dioxide, Kaolin Clay, Zinc Oxide, Iron Oxides. May contain Ch. Oxide Green, Ultramarine Blue

http://www.beautyblisscosmetics.com/catalog.php?category=5

---------------------

Meow

IGNORE my note that said they had a mica free formula - no wonder it still made my face stung when I tried their product, it still has mica as the first ingredient! Doh! But they SAY it is safer for mica sensitive individuals. Now I know why it stung my face!! Doh and double Doh!

--------------

Cory Cosmetics: Mica Free

http://www.corycosmetics.com/whats_in_our_cosmetics.htm

Primer Powders kaolin clay, zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, iron oxides

Foundations: titanium dioxide, iron oxides

Concealers titanium dioxide, iron oxides

Let us know how BeautyBliss work out!

I've been using Earth's Beauty, and I recently decided to try one of their blushes. The ingredients say nothing about Mica - but it is distinctly sparkly. I'm seriously pissed - mica gives me nodules/cystic acne. I had it out with their 'formulator' Marge, I'm sending it back.

Let us know how BeautyBliss work out!

I've been using Earth's Beauty, and I recently decided to try one of their blushes. The ingredients say nothing about Mica - but it is distinctly sparkly. I'm seriously pissed - mica gives me nodules/cystic acne. I had it out with their 'formulator' Marge, I'm sending it back.

^ I've inspected the foundation thoroughly since finding the sparklies in the blush - nothing looks off about it. I think perhaps one of there suppliers sent them a contaminated batch of something (magnesium stearate, arrowroot, iron oxides).

It's really unsettling, but they've been such a reliable and honest company, I can't imagine they purposely lied. Still makes me wary though.

If you don't get enough coverage the problem is usually moisture - make sure your skin is well moisturized first, I also think it helps to set it with a fine mist of water or floral water. I use emu oil as a moisturizer.