Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jazznabbers

Thinking about going back to Proactive.. HELP!

Hi,

I need some serious advice..

I have been on Dans Regiment for 7 weeks and I have not seen much improvement...

Actually it has gotten worse.. my lower cheeks, jawline broke out pretty bad..but my upper

cheeks and forehead are pretty clear (for now)..

I eat healthy, switch my tooth paste to non fluoride, am super gentle with my face, change pillow case every other day, dont touch my face, take supplements, etc...

I dont know what to do redface.gif

Here is my regimen

Morning

Dans facial cleanser

jojoba oil

Dans BP

Dans Moisturizer

Cetaphil SPF 15

Night

Dans facial cleanser

jojoba oil

Dans BP

aha lotion

Dans Moisturizer

Supplements

Fish Oil - about 3-4

50mg Zinc

just started Apple Cider Vinegar pills

Multi vitamin

Lots of water and a tea called Kumbucha

I wanted to go back to Pro Active or try other regimens that I have been reading about

ie. Clean & Clear Continuous Control Acne Cleanser (10% Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Medication) and Clean & Clear Blackhead Clearing Scrub (Salicylic Acid 2%)

OR

This regimen

Morning:

Wash with Clearasil Daily Face Wash (Oil free for Sensitive Skin)

Apply whatever light day lotion you prefer (I use the Eucerin Renewal)

If desired in the beginning dap 10% BP cream on active pimples - but do NOT spread around to the rest of your face.

Night:

Wash with Clearasil Daily Face Wash again

Wash with St. Ives Apricot Scub (your skin will feel so soft and silky after rinsing it off!)

Apply Dove Sensitive Essentials Night Cream

Again, in the beginning if desired, dap 10% BP cream ONLY to active pimples with a Q-tip to help dry them out, do NOT spread around.

Once a week: Use Queen Helene Grape Seed Extract Peel Off Masque

I am so confused..need some guidance

I got so desperate that I bought the lumiport pen light ($150) takes tooo long

Please advise!!!!

-b

Why the Jojoba oil? You should really put the BP on after your cleanser, as anything else can act as a barrier between it and your skin.

Also, I would hesitate to use Clean and Clear's System...I have it, and it doesn't work that well.

I actually really like the moisturizer, it's nice and light. However, as other posts on this board will confirm, putting Benzoyl Peroxide in a cleanser doesn't really do much...it's not on your skin long enough to actually do anything.

And ProActiv...eh....I was on that for over a year and never really noticed an improvement.

How would you characterize your skin? Oily, dry, combination? If you have oily skin, you're not doing it any favors by putting on jojoba oil AND moisturizer. If you have dry skin, then the BP might be irritating it.

I would say that the second regimen you described sounds good...the one with the gentle cleansers and light moisturizer and spot treating. However, do NOT use St. Ives apricot scrubs. Yes, yes, they feel wonderful on your face, I know...I was addicted to them for years. However, exfoliants that are that abrasive do nothing but irritate your skin. You can just as effectively exfoliate using an AHA lotion or gel. If you MUST use a scrub, use one with the exfoliating BEADS, the soft round stuff.

Going gentle is probably the way to go...I found that the more I tried medicating my face, the angrier it got at me.

Why the Jojoba oil? You should really put the BP on after your cleanser, as anything else can act as a barrier between it and your skin.

Also, I would hesitate to use Clean and Clear's System...I have it, and it doesn't work that well.

I actually really like the moisturizer, it's nice and light. However, as other posts on this board will confirm, putting Benzoyl Peroxide in a cleanser doesn't really do much...it's not on your skin long enough to actually do anything.

And ProActiv...eh....I was on that for over a year and never really noticed an improvement.

How would you characterize your skin? Oily, dry, combination? If you have oily skin, you're not doing it any favors by putting on jojoba oil AND moisturizer. If you have dry skin, then the BP might be irritating it.

I would say that the second regimen you described sounds good...the one with the gentle cleansers and light moisturizer and spot treating. However, do NOT use St. Ives apricot scrubs. Yes, yes, they feel wonderful on your face, I know...I was addicted to them for years. However, exfoliants that are that abrasive do nothing but irritate your skin. You can just as effectively exfoliate using an AHA lotion or gel. If you MUST use a scrub, use one with the exfoliating BEADS, the soft round stuff.

Going gentle is probably the way to go...I found that the more I tried medicating my face, the angrier it got at me.

Heh, I have no problem with Jojoba oil, I was just curious as to why you would use it in conjunction with a moisturizer.

My suggestion would be: You've given Dan's regimen a good shot; if you don't feel it's working, try something else.

However, like I said before, applying the jojoba oil before the bp could be interfering with the bp's effectiveness. Try applying it afterwards.

Or, if you think this would work:

Morning

Dans facial cleanser

jojoba oil

aha lotion

Dans Moisturizer

Cetaphil SPF 15

Night

Dans facial cleanser

Dans BP

Dans Moisturizer

This way your face gets a full dose of BP at night without anything else getting in the way, but you can leave the house in the morning without your face feeling tight, because you can use the jojoba oil.

If you just want to get off his regimen, I stand by what I said earlier: the last regimen you described sounds good. Do you have a problem with clogged pores? If so, I would recommend adding in a BHA lotion or gel, which is oil soluble and will help clear out your pores.

:think: I thought jojoba was a carrier oil? In other words, it helps deliver ingredients to the skin...? I tried it, but it wasn't for me. Idk, a simple search would probably tell you.

Hmmm.. I had some problems in the past with cetaphil products, don't know if you might unknowingly be experiencing irritation from that or not.. The scrub by St Ives can be kinda harsh on your skin. The apricot granules in it are not uniform in texture and could create irritation. Plus you're using two washes.. Ever try the baby brush exfoliation method? It works really well. You could cut out the extra cleanser that way, & still keep your soft & silky skin. :D

Good luck!

I tried BP so many times in my life and i never worked for me, i always found it irritating which only makes acne worse. BP does not work for everyone. You've tried it so now try something else. This is what has cleared my skin with no irritation, salicylic acid face wash, 1-2% is good (this sloughs away oil and dead skin). I use hydrogen peroxide as an astrigent, this delivers oxygen to the skin and kills bacteria just like BP. BP is actually made of hydrogen peroxide, if you have active acne wash it off after 1 minute or it will slow down healing. Moisturize with dan's moisturizer and your good to go. At night use a AHA cleanser aqua glycolic is good, use a retinol cream, some people here recommend green cream, start off with a low level. Use a non-greasy sunscreen and never scrub your face with anything.

I tried BP so many times in my life and i never worked for me, i always found it irritating which only makes acne worse.