Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thoushaltlaugh

i can't live without my foundation!! but i get sick of using it!!

my acne problem gets worse recently, and it has left me a lot of red marks (especially i am quite fair, they are darn visible!) it's annoying, my scars and marks faded end of last year and now they have come back!

since i have my acne problem (after 18-year-old), i started to apply foundation to cover them, and to boost my self confidence. and i'll never let people to see myself without make up, especially without my foundation on! i'll even feel embarrassed and awkward to let my family to see my bare face, so i always shower late at night whenever i am home, and go to bed, and the next morning, wake up, and put on my foundation again. (well, i am staying alone now, so it only happens whenever i visit them).

also, because of this, i don't go to any social activity that requires me to bare my face in front of people (such as camping, or a trip that requires me to spend more than 2 nights). and sometimes when i put on the foundation, i get sick of the whole thing from primer, to liquid to concealor and to powder.. as in, in general, i just get sick of missing out so many social activities, and the feeling of can't live without my foundation..

but i really have no gut to show people my bare face!! :( does anyone have the similar problem? and sometimes when people compliment of my good looking-ness, i would be like "haha, because you never see me without my make up on!", and i will be very skeptical when a guy says he likes me, because i think they'll be shocked and turned off when they see my real face!

ah, i just hate my skin :( i wish i could go back the time before 18, when my skin was good.

oh, please share your story with me..

A loooot of us here won't be seen without makeup on. However, I do allow my immediate family to see me bare faced (they have to love me no matter what, right? :P). When I was at my worst even that could feel uncomfortable though. I felt like I was going to turn them into stone if they looked at my face.

If you want to get more comfortable without makeup (around the house with family I mean), then ease into it. Start wearing less & less layers of foundation, maybe til you just use some concealer, and then finally nothing. Your family should be understanding.

There are times when I stayed the night with a friend & couldn't bear to be seen totally makeup free, so I used some mineral makeup to conceal the worst areas. It seemed to work pretty well (didn't come off all over the pillow or anything) and didn't make me breakout. Not a good idea to sleep in makeup, but if you must then I recommend mineral makeup to do the job. Check the cosmetics forum for more tips.

Remember: most women that are considered attractive wear some makeup. Few of us meet the beauty standards set for women without some help, so don't feel like you have some deceptive mask on when many other women wear foundation everyday also. Most of us go home & wash our face off & then reapply it in the morning :D

Even some good looking celebrities struggle with acne & cover it with makeup (ie. Keira Knightly, whom I've seen some photos of with very obvious acne). Check out the celebs with acne thread.

So everyone has flaws, even the best looking people, and most do their best to conceal it. So you can still be a pretty girl & accept those compliments without the thinking "if they only knew...". If they did know, they would just think you were a pretty girl who happens to have bad skin.

I think at this point I'd be able to go out in public without makeup, but not without feeling at least a little self conscious. I don't mind being around my family bare-faced, or even going outside to walk my dogs...but if I actually have to go somewhere I put it on. I just like feeling polished.

thanks for sharing :)

Siouxsie, you are really sweet, i feel better after reading your post!

i think i just can't cope with the possibility when people see my bare-faced and go "holy s***, your skin is so bad and you look so different without your make up on!". because i actually over-heard my ex-housemate told her friends that "my housemate has really bumpy and bad skin when she removes her make up", and i got upset.

so i think those people who have skin problem but still walk around without make up on are really brave! i guess i just need time, because i am really sick of rejecting my friends' invitation for a short trip or a staying-over gathering etc.

anyone else is willing to share?

Since I was about 11 I had mild acne and I would never go to school or out without make up on however it wasn't that bad and I could cope at sleepover etc however when I hit 21 my acne suddenly got alot worse and for 3 years I did not leave the house without make up. I would get up early and put make up on if a parcel was being delivered as I felt such a terrible mess and couldnt bare being seen, I also put it on when my dad come round to visit as he really isn't sensitive with this and usually starts a meeting with "hasn't your skin got bad?". If I went out I took my foundation and powder and was constantly smthering my face with it.

My mum and my boyfriend were the only people to see me without make up, and I felt like they were staring at my face when I wasn't wearing it.

I started the DKR back in June and things are gradually changing... Im not saying I go down the shops or out the house without make up but I did let the washing machine fitter in without worrying, and a friend come round and I actually didnt rush about to put make up on and felt ok...Actually even my dads been round and hasnt commented but thats probably because of the response he got last time he mentioned it.

i let my boyfriend see me without makeup for the first time recently... and he was really sweet about it... he said, 'your skin's not perfect, but it doesn't make you any less beautiful'. i've had boyfriends who have denied that i had acne at all, and they meant well, but it made me not believe their compliments anymore since it was so obvious that i had acne.

anyway, that's getting a little off topic. but it made me a lot more confident letting him see me without my makeup, and today (good skin day) i even went to class without anything on but a little bit of concealer. although i kind of freaked out halfway through and was distracted for the rest of class by how terrible my skin must have looked, haha.

anyway... baby steps... try letting one person at a time seeing you without your makeup on. you may not ever be able to go out without it on, i know i'm not quite that brave yet, but eventually you might be able to let the people you're close to see you without it. good luck :comfort:

I started getting very little acne (almost unnoticeable) in sophomore year but it bugged me so much that I started wearing foundation to cover up my blemishes...then my friend commented to me that "it's so obvious I have pimples even though I'm wearing makeup" and from then on I started using all kinds of skin-killing products and makeup in desperate need to clear my face...junior year I wore foundation every day as my skin got worse and worse leading to MORE foundation, a vicious cycle I was in! Senior year I was I-don't-give-a-fuck-anymore and stopped wearing foundation cold turkey. That lasted about 1-2 months while on the DKR and then I cleared up a little, so I started wearing foundation again to make my skin look even more clear. Well that only lead to MORE acne and here I am freshman year in college, wearing makeup every single day, can't go in the public without it.

I really do hate wearing makeup... I wish I didn't have to. It's not the acne I'm so self-conscious about (you can see acne bumps with makeup on anyway) but my red marks/spots are horrible... even I can't bare looking at myself in the mirror, I couldn't stand having someone look at them, it'd just be too painful for me...

Amen to this! I am sick of having to use so much makeup but I can't live without it. I'm particularly sick of the futile effort of trying to cover the red marks with green concealer. It just doesn't cover it enough. I think if I ever started seeing someone, at some point I would let him see my skin. But not for a while. I just wish all the redness would go away. Some bad areas just aren't budging and it's been 4 months, going on 5. I used to only use a light coating of foundation before the acne. Now I have to lay it on so thick. I just hate it.

i understand the feeling without foundation on! you are so self-conscious about your skin although people actually don't pay attention to it! and yea, although the 1cm thick "paint" was on the skin, the bumps are still there and some of the marks just couldn't be covered completely! people still went "hey, what happened to your face lately?"

they make me feel less like a complete person, especially in front of my close friends during the day time or under bright light... because the foundation can't help to hide the fact that my face is full of the "crappy" bumps and marks!

The only places I have always worn foundation is work (bright fluescant lights), clothes shopping (the lights and mirrors are so in your face, not to mention the pesky clearskinned sales assistants) and going out at night (gotta look my best).

Everywhere else I have on occassion not worn makeup, simply because I'm having a good skin day or I am having a relaxing day at home and don't have time to foundation up before going out. On these rare occassions I feel very self conscious and it takes a while for me to relax and bring out my true personality, which is usually very happy, fun and friendly.

I'm glad I am female and have the option to wear foundation if I want. Although some guys have the guts to cover up with it, they have found it daunting if people found out.

I also wonder if my skin would clear quicker without all the foundation I slather on regularly :think: but I would never give it up!

This time last year, i would have never imagined letting anyone see me without makeup because i hated the thought of people being able to see my bare skin!

Although i still wear foundation every day, i am able to let people see me without my skin covered in foundation. My family know what my skin looks like, and i've even let a few of my friends see my skin!

Everyone tells me that i see my skin a lot worse than anyone else does...and you know what? I think its true afterall

I won't go out in public..I don't even want to go to school half the time, if I have to go in to town..I just won't..for fear of someone seeing me

I don't know how to use makeup..and I'm scared to get the wrong color, I don't have a lot of money

my face..sucks..I hate it..

I have problems... Ijust cry and cry..and cry

I don't want to be around anybody

I just want someone to think I'm pretty..anyone, beside my damn mom

hippylu says "I just want someone to think I'm pretty.."

Im sure your pretty, its just acne getting you down and you shouldn't worry too much about it.

im sick of it too but recently ive been feelining like fuck it all and going out bare faced. you know some people wit horrible acne go out with not makeup and are totally fine with it so thats what helps me to not wear makeup on those days. plus i like the ability to be able to rest my face on my arm when im sleeping class and not have to worry about smudging my makeup or getting makeup on my clothes. but i suggest mineral makeup too. it goes on light and it undetectable when you find the perfect shade.