Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
willow569

Iodine and acne article

Got Iodine In That Milk? Unassuming Sources Of Acne Aggravation

Iodine is a trace mineral that regulates thyroid hormones while promoting normal growth and development. It is present in iodized salt, seafood and crops grown in iodine rich soil.

So you've read that excessive amounts of iodine can irritate your pores and provoke acne. So what do you do? Avoid excess iodine, right?

But iodine shows up in a motley of unassuming locals as Jean Carper, points out in Food Your Miracle Medicine. For instance, the Recommended Daily Allowance, RDA, of iodine for adults is 150 mcg, but one cup of milk has 88mcg of iodine, that's over half of the RDA. One egg has 24 mcg and a slice of American cheese carries 16 mcg of iodine. And the content of iodine in some fast food meals has exceeded the RDA by as much as 10 times.

Foods that contain large amounts of iodine include:

�Iodized salt, sea salt, and salty foods.

�All dairy products (milk, sour cream, cheese, cream, yogurt, butter, ice cream)

�Margarine

�Egg yolks

�Seafood ( particularly shellfish, seaweed, kelp) -

�Foods that contain carrageen, agar-agar, algin, or alginate - all of these are made from seaweed

�Many prepared and/or cured meats (ham, bacon, sausage, corned beef, etc)

�Fresh chicken or turkey with broth or additives injected

�Dried fruit

�Canned vegetables

�Some Commercial bakery products

�Chocolate

�Molasses

�Soy products (soy sauce, soy milk, tofu)

�Any vitamins or supplements that contain iodine

�FD&C red dye #3 - this appears in many foods or pills that are red or brown, including colas

Foods with moderate amounts of iodine include:

�Egg whites

�Fresh noncured meat from the butcher

�Matzoh

�Homemade bread made with non-iodized salt and oil (not soy!) instead of butter or milk

�Most fresh fruits and vegetables (but not too much spinach & broccoli), washed well

�Frozen vegetables that don't have high-iodine ingredients (like regular salt) added

�Canned peaches, pears and pineapples

�Natural unsalted peanut butter

�Clear sodas

�Coffee or tea, as long as it's made with distilled water. But remember, only non-dairy creamer!

�Popcorn popped in vegetable oil or air popped, with non-iodized salt

�Sorbet - but remember to check the ingredient list for FD&C red dye #3!

As with all things, self-knowledge and moderation are the keys to divine health. It's always good to know what you are eating before it starts eating away at you.

Interesting... almost all of the products you have mentioned that have high iodine in them have been known to aggrivate acne.

Maybe iodine is our biggest contributer to acne :(

Interesting... almost all of the products you have mentioned that have high iodine in them have been known to aggrivate acne.

Maybe iodine is our biggest contributer to acne :(

Thanks for the useful post. :cool:

It's a pain in the ass trying to consume mostly healthy foods... :doubt: Suppose it's better than the alternative.

It recommends starting by eating raw fish.... Now I don't know what to believe really.

If your afraid of eating raw fish because of the iodine, I don't think you have to worry. I THINK sushi would mean traditional sushi with a seaweed wrap (which is high in iodine). Plain raw fish may have a little iodine but probably not too much.

I too have cut out soy and soy products, this was hard because I completely stay away from straight dairy (milk, creams, ice cream, etc.).

So would rice milk be a good substitute for soy and dairy?

I too have cut out soy and soy products, this was hard because I completely stay away from straight dairy (milk, creams, ice cream, etc.).

So would rice milk be a good substitute for soy and dairy?

been eating 6-7 eggs a day (dont buy the cholesterol hype), 1 to 2 pieces of chicken breast and a can of tuna a day.... well over the "iodine limit" and no new breakouts

been eating 6-7 eggs a day (dont buy the cholesterol hype), 1 to 2 pieces of chicken breast and a can of tuna a day.... well over the "iodine limit" and no new breakouts

Is your diet low in iodine in other respects? (salty snacks, kelp, etc.). And remember dietary factors aren't a 100% predictor. You can only base findings on averages (people who eat high iodine foods have more severe acne ON AVERAGE than people who ingest less iodine). Nothing is ever 100%, even acne medications vary on who they work on who they don't. This finding about iodine is well validated by research and is listed by various acne experts as being a potential acne trigger.

Is your diet low in iodine in other respects? (salty snacks, kelp, etc.). And remember dietary factors aren't a 100% predictor. You can only base findings on averages (people who eat high iodine foods have more severe acne ON AVERAGE than people who ingest less iodine). Nothing is ever 100%, even acne medications vary on who they work on who they don't. This finding about iodine is well validated by research and is listed by various acne experts as being a potential acne trigger.

As to getting goiters - that's not really an issue for most modern societies. It used to be a problem for inland areas of the country where the locally grown crops had less sea salt in them, due to less salt in the soil in which they were grown. Goiters were mostly problems in those areas, so the decision was made to add iodine to table salt to suppliment those people who lived away from the coast. Nowadays, (and this is idea is supported by Dr. James Fulton - acne expert and co-developer of Retin-A and benzoyl peroxide) most people get far too much iodine in their diets due to eating lots of processed foods, salty snacks, food from restaurants which is often very high in salt. Most people ingest far more iodine than the RDA amounts. The thyroid only needs trace amounts of iodine to function properly (approximately 1-2 teaspoons over your entire lifespan). Your thyroid cannot use the excess iodine, so anything it doesn't use gets excreted from the body, partially through the pores. Iodine irritates the pores, which can lead to inflamation and acne flares. The vast majority of people do not need to worry about supplimenting their diets with iodine anymore. Dr. Fulton even suggests that it no longer needs to be in table salt.

As to getting goiters - that's not really an issue for most modern societies. It used to be a problem for inland areas of the country where the locally grown crops had less sea salt in them, due to less salt in the soil in which they were grown. Goiters were mostly problems in those areas, so the decision was made to add iodine to table salt to suppliment those people who lived away from the coast. Nowadays, (and this is idea is supported by Dr. James Fulton - acne expert and co-developer of Retin-A and benzoyl peroxide) most people get far too much iodine in their diets due to eating lots of processed foods, salty snacks, food from restaurants which is often very high in salt. Most people ingest far more iodine than the RDA amounts. The thyroid only needs trace amounts of iodine to function properly (approximately 1-2 teaspoons over your entire lifespan). Your thyroid cannot use the excess iodine, so anything it doesn't use gets excreted from the body, partially through the pores. Iodine irritates the pores, which can lead to inflamation and acne flares. The vast majority of people do not need to worry about supplimenting their diets with iodine anymore. Dr. Fulton even suggests that it no longer needs to be in table salt.

Kind of funny that this is being mentioned because last year I was breaking out like crazy and went to my normal GP. She tested my blood and came back low thyroid. Want to know what she prescribed to me? Iodine. Yup. I take Logul's Solution everyday. Would you believe that when I balance it with my vitamins and supplements, it has cleared my acne up AND my thyroid levels are back to normal. Before my diagnosis, I ate extremely healthy. I am not a fan of fast food. I am not the type to eat sushi or any other seafood that contains iodine. Once my doctor saw my low thyroid results, she did an iodine deficiency test and sure enough, it came back deficient.

I have a really hard time believing that the majority of Americans get enough iodine in their diet. I think it's all the other crap that they intake in their bodies. Personally, my acne tends to flare up when I eat processed carbs...bread, chips, cookies, cake.

There is a great book out there on Iodine but a doctor that has done tons of research on it. The book is called Iodine...Why you need it..Why you can't live without it by Dr. David Brownstein. Check it out. It's actually quite interesting and educating. It got me thinking.

Kind of funny that this is being mentioned because last year I was breaking out like crazy and went to my normal GP. She tested my blood and came back low thyroid. Want to know what she prescribed to me? Iodine. Yup. I take Logul's Solution everyday. Would you believe that when I balance it with my vitamins and supplements, it has cleared my acne up AND my thyroid levels are back to normal. Before my diagnosis, I ate extremely healthy. I am not a fan of fast food. I am not the type to eat sushi or any other seafood that contains iodine. Once my doctor saw my low thyroid results, she did an iodine deficiency test and sure enough, it came back deficient.

I have a really hard time believing that the majority of Americans get enough iodine in their diet. I think it's all the other crap that they intake in their bodies. Personally, my acne tends to flare up when I eat processed carbs...bread, chips, cookies, cake.

There is a great book out there on Iodine but a doctor that has done tons of research on it. The book is called Iodine...Why you need it..Why you can't live without it by Dr. David Brownstein. Check it out. It's actually quite interesting and educating. It got me thinking.

Iodine does only cause break outs in VERY high amounts. Most people only get acne problems with several 100times the RDA of iodine. I can attest, that the amounts of iodine you find in common foods is not enough to affect your skin. I experimented with very high amounts of iodine myself. I gradually increased the dose over several weeks to 50mg/day, which is 400x the RDA! I only had a slight increase in acne on the very high dose. A few milligram does not affect my acne. Actually, I believe, it helps.

It't not iodine itself that causes skin problems, it's because high doses of iodine will increase detoxification of bromide, fluoride and other toxic minerals. It's the excretion of these toxic elements that irritates the skin, not iodine itself! Some people on the iodine-forum on curezone and on other iodine-boards have reportet, that high doses of iodine actually improves skin complexion in the long run. It seems, that iodine actually helps against acne in the long run.

High dose iodine therapy is a very effective remedy against various health problems. Iodine is not only needed by your thyroid. Various other organs have a need for iodine too. Check out this article:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller20.html

this is my diet and so far it is working really well.

i'm losing alot of fat too..

EAT ONLY

Bread

veggies

fruits

soy

that's about it

all the rest are no nos

it's good

try it

this is my diet and so far it is working really well.

i'm losing alot of fat too..

EAT ONLY

Bread

veggies

fruits

soy

that's about it

all the rest are no nos

it's good

try it