Notifications
Clear all

Hello, Low Stomach Acid, my name is Acne.

MemberMember
(@sloth-speed)

Posted : 09/22/2007 4:20 pm

A fair bit back i had posted a poll in this forum asking if people with acne had a problem gaining weight, and it was at about a 3 to 1 ratio of yes over no with about 20 or so votes. After gaining this seemingly relevant information brought forth on the fact that i have not seen more then a sparse few overweight individuals with acne and the majority of severe cases were held by overly slimmer individuals (including myself, i can eat food endlessly and not gain a single pound) , i could not draw a feasable connection.

However, recently i recalled a thread in these forums stating that a diet free of water near meals was helping a couple of individuals (but definitively not the majority) with their cases of acne with no substantial backing for its potential cause of success, but ignoring the lack of reasoning i began to adhere to a similar structure of water intake. It did infact help my case of acne, but not by an incredible or even consistant amount.

I then began to wonder why the diet free of water near meals would inconsistantly help with my case of acne, and when i had tried using apple cider vinegar intake to help my acne, which also had a beneficial influence, had an inconsistant benefit as well. I began to consider what could a water intake and acididic vinigar intake have in common in helping acne, when both previously had no known reason for helping peoples acne cases. My hypothosis arose, my assumed culprit: stomach acid, or a lack there of.

at this point i simply ran a spontanious search of 'low stomach acid' in Yahoo,

and my very first result:

http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/digestivep...ms/a/LowHCL.htm

a quick pan down the page within the list of symptoms:

Adult Acne.

feel free and fully encouraged to critique my findings or lack of reasoning in my deductions, i simply wish to find the genuine culpirate.

MemberMember
(@ligyron)

Posted : 09/22/2007 4:28 pm

Achlorhydria

For what it's worth, I have acne and I have trouble gaining weight, but that's the only symptom I have of low acidity

MemberMember
(@sloth-speed)

Posted : 09/22/2007 4:35 pm

Achlorhydria

For what it's worth, I have acne and I have trouble gaining weight, but that's the only symptom I have of low acidity

MemberMember
(@heartless)

Posted : 09/22/2007 4:43 pm

In order to gain weight, proper digestion needs to occur. This will enable to body to fully utilize the nutrients in the foods consumed. Some people have had success utilizing digestive enzymes which facilitate this process. These enzymes are available in different forms (select according to your digestive needs) at health food stores and some pharmacies.

I also recommend adding acidophilus, too. This will increase the good flora in the digestive system.

MemberMember
(@alvo)

Posted : 09/22/2007 4:49 pm

Very interesting...as a child I had lots of food allergies(mentioned as a symptom in the article) and the doctors never figured out why. It was to the point where eating anything besides macaroni & cheese would cause me to break out in hives. Also, I believe Chinese medicine associates acne with the stomach...

Sounds like you may be on to something here!

MemberMember
(@willow569)

Posted : 09/22/2007 8:21 pm

Moving this to Diet/Nutrition section

MemberMember
(@iliad)

Posted : 09/22/2007 8:42 pm

Omigosh!!! O_O I have never really paid it too much attention but you are so right! Most anyone I have ever seen with acne tends to be skinny guys and thin girls. I rarely see people who are overweight with acne at all!

And since I've gotten to college I have been eating a TON of food every meal, all healthy of course, but haven't gained more than 2 pounds. I was noticing today how curious that is. I'll see what I can come up with.

MemberMember
(@crd)

Posted : 09/22/2007 8:48 pm

You are definitely on to something here. Im also very thin, almost underweight. Gonna research this abit more, thanks for sharing .

MemberMember
(@deantonio)

Posted : 09/22/2007 8:55 pm

yep

HCL supplements are a good suggestion..... wheatgrass/spirulina basically any green super food helps with form HCL.... fish oil is good

MemberMember
(@iliad)

Posted : 09/22/2007 11:13 pm

I also fit the bill for a number of those other things on the list, which makes me even more curious. But what I really wanna research is not the condition itself, but rather what I can do to fix it.

This website helps a lot. ACV is recommended, along with other sensible methods. They admit that the relation to acne is unproven, but no one knows exactly the cause of acne anyway. Check it out!

We may be on to something here.

http://www.digitalnaturopath.com/cond/C42513.html

MemberMember
(@livesinabox)

Posted : 09/23/2007 9:51 am

I've been working on digestion problems for a while now, and you can see my forehead acne go from awful to pretty clear in about 2 months and you can even see my progress if you look in my gallery. I still have some acne around my jawline, neck which i'm testing other regimes to try and fix. But i'd definitely recommended trying digestion, it can't hurt to improve it even if it doesn't clear your acne.

Heres a previous post with links of what i did

Digestion

And ACV is about the best regulator of stomach acid. It's acid but it leaves an alkaline ash, it contains potassium which helps increase stomach acid (if needed!), it's a natural thing, and i like the taste. Just watch your teeth and throat, take it very diluted in pure apple juice with a straw.

Btw, the reason i started this because i read a study where 50% of people with adult acne also had poor digestion! (but i have never been able to find the link since)

MemberMember
(@user24582)

Posted : 09/23/2007 10:00 am

Yeah there is a major connection. Low stomach acid is present in all sorts of digestion disorders and acne is primarily caused by digestion problems that lead to leaky gut syndrome. Fix your digestion and you'll no longer have acne.

MemberMember
(@iliad)

Posted : 09/23/2007 12:51 pm

Healthoid and Livesinabox, I have a question I can't seem to find the answer to.

If it helps to take ACV with meals to aid in digestion, but we aren't supposed to drink anything during meals or it can dilute stomach acidity, then how can we take ACV and have it help with digestion?

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 09/23/2007 1:42 pm

I dont drink with my meals and it hasnt helped my acne one bit. :(

Im also very skinny.

MemberMember
(@deeagony)

Posted : 09/23/2007 2:12 pm

Quick question... Do people who constantly need antacids end up with leaky gut, Healthoid?

I'm the opposite. I think maybe too much acid gets released for me. I even need an antacid with low acid orange juice.

MemberMember
(@livesinabox)

Posted : 09/23/2007 2:31 pm

Healthoid and Livesinabox, I have a question I can't seem to find the answer to.

If it helps to take ACV with meals to aid in digestion, but we aren't supposed to drink anything during meals or it can dilute stomach acidity, then how can we take ACV and have it help with digestion?

MemberMember
(@user24582)

Posted : 09/23/2007 4:46 pm

Quick question... Do people who constantly need antacids end up with leaky gut, Healthoid?

I'm the opposite. I think maybe too much acid gets released for me. I even need an antacid with low acid orange juice.

MemberMember
(@annabanana)

Posted : 09/23/2007 4:56 pm

Hey I think that skinnyness has to do with quick metabolism. I had cystic acne and no matter how hard I try I can't gain a pound. However my cause of acne was that my metabolism was so fast that any sugar/carbs I ate were metabolized very quickly, and my blood sugar would raise too quickly.

(I am in fact hypoglycemic) Anytime I ate too much carbs I would break out. So now I am on a diet where I eat low carbs and I have absolutely clear skin. If u want to know more about the diet just ask me.

Other symptoms of my blood sugar levels going berzerk:

getting tired after eating

heart palpitations (feeling your heart beat in your chest)

acne

low energy

skinnyness

having to nap in the middle of the day

passing out

I think this is why when people come from other countries they get acne. The western diet includes sparse, large, meals high in carbs which would cause people's blood sugar to sky rocket.

MemberMember
(@heartless)

Posted : 09/23/2007 5:02 pm

If you feel ACV assists in your digestion but you dont' want to drink it, it is available in pill format at health food stores.

As stated in my earlier post, digestive enzymes (also in either pill or capsule form) are formulated with various combination of ingredients to digest lactic acid (milk), fiber, fats and protein. Different brands contain different proportions of ingredients to address your digestive needs.

MemberMember
(@and1)

Posted : 09/23/2007 5:14 pm

isn't there a correlation between a messed up stomach acid and a body that has a too high acid level, which can be improved with an alcane diet?

MemberMember
(@balance-bird)

Posted : 06/09/2013 5:13 pm

I feel that this is so true! Just ordered some HCL supplements, and have been taking ACV before each meal! Also, just did an Oxy Powder colon cleanse (on day 3 out of 7), fingers crossed!