Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
brown-eyedgirl

Anyone tried Proactiv Extra Strength?

I started using the original proactiv about 7 years ago with mostly good results; quit using it to start Obagi, now back on it. I still use some Obagi products a couple of times a week, but it never helped my acne as much as proactiv did. After about 6 weeks of being back on proactiv, my skin has cleared up a lot more. But I got an ad in the mail for the new extra-strength line which is 7% BP instead of the 2.5%. I think the BP is what has helped me the most but it never completely cleared my face up, hence the continuing search for better products. Also, the extra strength line toner has SA instead of glycolic acid as in original line. The original line has never dried out or irritated my skin; actually seemed pretty mild so I think my skin could handle the 7% BP. Would be helpful if anybody could comment on their experience with it.

Well, so far so good. I started using the Extra Strength Proactiv on Friday evening. I had 2-3 active cysts/pustules and a lot of non-inflamed acne. As of today, no active acne and definitely fewer plugged pores. My face is a little drier and I've had to use my LRP Toleriane fluide over the BP lotion (after letting it soak in). Which seems to be working well. The products also sting a little but it goes away after about 30 min. This stuff is definitely stronger than the original proactiv, but not harsh. My face does not seem irritated at all. Will post again after 1 week of use.

I'm visiting my sister now and while I'm not using the stronger proactiv, she let me borrow the 2nd best proactiv set (the three standard bottles and then the moisturizer), and I've been using it for about 4 days and I'm seeing results. YAY!

I'm still getting breakouts here and there but the proactive is getting rid of them very quickly and my skin is slowly gaining moisture everyday. I had such a horrible flaking problem.

I can't wait to see how my face looks in a month!

I've not used it myself, but stronger BP formulations can work really well on people's skin that can handle it. I think part of the reason the regular proactive stops working is that the 2.5% BP just isn't strong enough to keep most people clear in the long run. It may work in the beginning, but then once your skin adjusts to the medication, it may become less effective.

Good luck with it!!!

Well, it's been four weeks now. I can honestly say that I think the 7% BP is working. I have no new acne spots but I am still getting 2-3 papules/week on my cheeks. However, no more cysts or blackheads/milia. I am 100% clear of those. I am going to keep using the BP lotion. I have noticed my skin becoming very dry and I have started using moisturizer 2-3 times daily. This has helped tremendously. I went to my derm today though and she wants me to stop differin and use retin-a micro because of the flakiness. She also put me on spironalactone; she said she suspects my acne is hormonal because now I only have lesions on my cheeks. My forehead, nose, and chin are 100% clear thanks to the ES Proactiv. She wants me to stop the BP! (I started it on my own). I don't want to take a step backward though! I may just cut down to mornings only since I know BP and retin-a don't mix. Hope this update helps someone!

nice i been using proactiv solution ,

i will order it when i get acne.

I don't have none on my face just some red spot and scars thats it.

the 7% kinda powerful , can probably dry ur face badly :X

I actually used that a few years ago. I think I had about the same results as while on Proactiv, except it made my face really red. The bottom line, though, is that if you have the kind of acne that is caused internally, it won't make much of a difference.

I started using the original proactiv about 7 years ago with mostly good results; quit using it to start Obagi, now back on it. I still use some Obagi products a couple of times a week, but it never helped my acne as much as proactiv did. After about 6 weeks of being back on proactiv, my skin has cleared up a lot more. But I got an ad in the mail for the new extra-strength line which is 7% BP instead of the 2.5%. I think the BP is what has helped me the most but it never completely cleared my face up, hence the continuing search for better products. Also, the extra strength line toner has SA instead of glycolic acid as in original line. The original line has never dried out or irritated my skin; actually seemed pretty mild so I think my skin could handle the 7% BP. Would be helpful if anybody could comment on their experience with it.

I just recently (last night) started the Extra Strength Proactive. I had been using the original then decided my skin was clear enough to stop and low and behold, my acne came back worse than before. I immediately started using Proactive again after trying Clearasils 3 step system which didn't work. The original Proactive system made my acne even worse. I assume my skin is just immune to it now and needs something harsher so I am trying out the Extra Strength. This is the last thing I am going to try, if it doesn't work I'm going to go to the dermatologist for something over the counter. I'll leave updates on whether or not it is working! I thought this morning my zits looked smaller but that could just be wishful thinking.