Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Smiitherrs

Need Opinions/Help

Ok, I've been using Acne-Free for about 3 weeks now and my acne hasn't gotten really worse but not much better. So I've been hearing many good results for using Baking Soda. So now it's the 3rd day of that and It's gotten worse. But I heard it takes about a week for it to work. The only reason i'm trying baking soda is because tons of positive results and barely any negative. So my Question is Should I go back to Acne-Free or Stay and keep trying the baking soda? I also started Eating 2 apples a day and have been drinking plenty of Water. Thanks

Hm.

First off, how would you characterize your skin type? Oily, dry, combination?

Secondly, how bad is your acne? Light (a few pimples every day), Mild (several pimples daily with inflammation), or moderate to severe (ranging from cysts, nodules, severe breakouts on a daily basis)?

And thirdly, forgive my ignorance, but what does Acne-Free involve? And why did you decide to switch to Baking Soda (specifically, as I don't know much about it)?

Hi there. How are you using the baking soda? It's very alkaline and can be tough on skin. I've tried mixing it into my cleanser to exfoliate and have only p***d my skin off. And as for mask, no way. It burns. Are you using a mask? Using it to exfoliate? The Acne-Free stuff is benzoyl peroxide based I gather, and you may be freaking your skin out with the bp plus baking soda.

Why not give the Acne-Free more time without baking soda? Three weeks is not very long in skin time. And you said it's not getting worse so that's not bad. Give it a month at least to see if it'll do more for you.

If you're using the baking soda to exfoliate because you feel your skin needs exfoliation check out the baby brush method of exfoliation thread and maybe try that instead. Good luck with the Acne-Free and stick with it for another week before chucking in the towel! Also, drinking water is great, and so are the apples but there are lots more foods out there that are good for your skin. Check them out!

Hm.

First off, how would you characterize your skin type? Oily, dry, combination?

Secondly, how bad is your acne? Light (a few pimples every day), Mild (several pimples daily with inflammation), or moderate to severe (ranging from cysts, nodules, severe breakouts on a daily basis)?

And thirdly, forgive my ignorance, but what does Acne-Free involve? And why did you decide to switch to Baking Soda (specifically, as I don't know much about it)?

Hi there. How are you using the baking soda? It's very alkaline and can be tough on skin. I've tried mixing it into my cleanser to exfoliate and have only p***d my skin off. And as for mask, no way. It burns. Are you using a mask? Using it to exfoliate? The Acne-Free stuff is benzoyl peroxide based I gather, and you may be freaking your skin out with the bp plus baking soda.

Why not give the Acne-Free more time without baking soda? Three weeks is not very long in skin time. And you said it's not getting worse so that's not bad. Give it a month at least to see if it'll do more for you.

If you're using the baking soda to exfoliate because you feel your skin needs exfoliation check out the baby brush method of exfoliation thread and maybe try that instead. Good luck with the Acne-Free and stick with it for another week before chucking in the towel! Also, drinking water is great, and so are the apples but there are lots more foods out there that are good for your skin. Check them out!

Yes, what kind of medication is in the Acne-Free?

Is it Benzoyl Peroxide based, Salicylic Acid, or other?

And I agree with momiji_girl, I would go back to Acne-Free, and give it at the very least a full month before giving up. Usually it takes up to two months to notice permanent difference.

And from how you've described your skin, I'd say you have very light acne, and you shouldn't be over-taxing your skin if it isn't needed. I would personally recommend a gentle cleanser (non-medicated, no soap, water-soluble), a very light moisturizer since you've said you're occasionally oily, and then to spot treat the blemishes you do have with an antibacterial medication such as benzoyl peroxide. There are lots of great threads on this board with suggestions, such as SnowQueen's lovely post on the "Biggest Mistakes You Can Make" near the top.

Especially since you seem to have such a light case, I'd worry more about over-irritating your skin, which is why your skin may have gotten worse since using the Baking Soda.

Have guys not heard of Acne-Free? I thought it was pretty popular.. It has a

Time-Released Benzoyl Peroxide formula.. and it's suppose to be better than proactiv? Maybe not. Anyways It's $20

Ya ok I'll try Acne-Free a while more. More Opinions are Welcome. And also.. You know you have to give an Acne Medication a while before It could get better? Well I stopped using Acne-Free for a few days.. Do I have to wait another long time before it can get better again?

It won't take as long as the first time, since you've built up a tolerance for the Benzoyl Peroxide.

However, I'm still concerned that this might over-irritate your skin. But maybe not!

Well, good luck, report back in a month or so with your progress!