Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
money_mark

swimming in salt water

i have mild to moderate acne and it seems the only thing that clears it up is summer holidays each year.

im thinking that a mixture of the sun and swimming in the salt water every day sometimes twice a day may be the cure for some forms of acne?

i live near a beach and am considering going swimming each day do u think this is the reason why my acne clears up in the summer?

Seawater, or salt water, does have anti bacterial properties, thus meaning it can kill the bacteria which causes acne. Small amounts of sunlight is also beneficial but too much can lead to the burning of the skin (sun burn), and in the long run, possible forming of skin cancer, it can also darken red marks or hyper pigmentations.

Swimming daily in the sea is a good idea, it could probably clear up your mild - moderate acne by about 70% if not more, and is also an excellent form of exercising as swimming utilizes alot of your body muscles.

The ocean cleared my skin entirely and completely when I went to the beach for a week.

When I returned, it went back to its old self.

Those few glorious days of beautiful skin ...

Happens to me too. You know, if the ocean helps maybe you should try filling your bath water with Epsom salt? Or you can use a bowl of warm water with a bit of Epsom salt and splash it on your face. It works for sometimes, but not always.

I think the salt water is good as well because of the tiny particles of salt that act as very mild exfoliants (the waves of the ocean carry the salt and it ever so gently scrubs your skin). Also, because salt water is more hypertonic (or hypotonic.. not sure which is the one meaning it has a greater solute/solvent ratio) I think it helps draw out bacteria, dirt, etc. out of your skin.

I think the sand in the water also plays a role. It cleans and, I imagine, exfoliates. We used to have a border collie and we could never keep his white fur white. But take him to the beach and he came back clean.