Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Da Real BucK

My thoughts on Benzoyl Peroxide + Facial washing.

Little background about myself... my past 8 years have been ruined by acne and I am the type of person who will simply never give up. With that said along with my work ethic geared to find a way to control my acne and being a regimen user, every single time I get a break out; I change a variable in the regimen to always be taking a step forward doing something different to find either a cure or a way to control it better. Weather it be a shaving tactic, a product, application method, or whatever; for the past few years I do something differently after every time I get a break out. I am a firm believer that a topical regimen is the best way to go as a preventative measure for acne treatment thus far.

After being a Regimen user for 5+ years, I have finally came to one major conclusion:

The BP application method expressed in "Dan's Regimen" is simply TOO irritating no matter how gentle it is applied.

Most of you here suffer from irritated, red, and flaky skin. The problem? massaging BP in for 3-10 minutes twice daily.

I have tried this regimen every way possible.. and please don't think I ever misinterpreted any regimen instructions because I didn't. I have massaged this BP as gently as humanly possible, exactly mimicking the video tutorials for the past few years with the end result always being red, irritated, painful flaky skin.

My latest alternative which has been deeply tested by myself for the past year now, is a 'quick and easy' application of a 3.7% BP, because 2.5% is simply not strong enough to just quickly apply and get results; at least for me.

With that said, thus making these changes my face feels incredibly better with little to no break outs periodically.

My next study has been on the washing of the face. For the past 2 months I have been washing with simply water.. and last week I have converted that to simply 'COLD' water to be more specific.

Again, with these current methods of mine I have further put nails in the coffin as far as avoiding redness, irritation, and flaking of all kind and most of all... less breakouts.

My current regimen is as fallows (twice daily):

1. Wash gently with simply cold water

2. Apply 3.7% BP gently with a cotton ball (do not leave any residue of BP thus this will cause flaking)

3.) Apply Complex 15 moisturizer (best moisturizer on the market)(feel free to leave a small film of residue of moisturizer on super dry areas)

latest added variable: zeno for spot treatment (my personal review on this will come soon, but I have tried it on one cyst and it simply murdered it, great stuff)

I hope this helps someone skip a few steps who is possibly following in my footsteps trying to find the perfect tweaked regimen for them, or maybe some of these tactics can simply help you get rid of your redness and/or flakes.

If you have any questions, I will try to check this thread daily.

Dolfan

According to my reading the ideal concentration of BP is not 2.5%, but rather somewhere between 2.5 and 5%. Thus, 2.5 is a workable percentage based on the dearth of BP concentrations on the market aside from 2.5, 5, and 10, but the 3.7 may strike an even better balance between effectiveness and irritation than 2.5.

So ... where'd you get a 3.7 gel? :D

Uh, ok, let me just come out and say it...

Dan has NEVER said to massage in BP for 10 minutes a day, twice a day! I too would be raw if I did that!

Dan, where are you? PLEASE correct this misinterpretation of your regimen. Dan tells you to put it on gently without rubbing it (massaging it in). If I rubbed ANYTHING on my face for 5 to 10 minutes straight, I'd be a mess.

Dan tells you to let the BP dry for 5 or more minutes, NOT to RUB it in.

MODS...anyone to correct this???

^ I agree....it takes me less than 5 min to gently massage it in & then I wait maybe 5-10 minutes before applying moisturizer.

I don't even think you could rub it in for 5 minutes....it would get too tacky by then & you'd just be rubbing & irritating your skin.

It seems to me that basically this person doesn't need as much BP to stay clear. Also washing the face with cold water leads me to believe that his/her face isn't that oily. My skin is far too oily to not use a face wash & I wear makeup I need to wash off at night (straight water isn't going to cut it). My skin is not still red & flaky, so the full amount of BP is what I need to prevent big nasty zits. I've used less BP in past regimens (ie. Proactiv) & it didn't quite cut it. As long as I moisturize I am good.

Anyhow, the lesson here is simply that some people will adjust DKR over time & come up with their own regimen that is customized to their individual needs (I'm using retin-a now in my "modified" DKR). I think it's important to give true DKR a fair shot though, because otherwise you'll never know if it's your deviations that are preventing it from being effective.

You guys are misinterpreting me now. I clearly said in my first post: "I have massaged this BP as gently as humanly possible, exactly mimicking the video tutorials for the past few years". For the people who are using TONS of BP as the regimen suggests and dan always stresses to use "more BP", it takes a good 5-10 minutes to 'gently massage it' all in. Yes I said 'rub'... but rub doesnt mean your being ungentle in the way I meant it is gently rub it in as in gliding your fingers over the skin to the point where your skin is clearly not moving. No matter what... after a few days of doing that my skin will become very irritated. The only 3.7% BP I was able to find is the one from this regimen called acnefree. I order the repair lotion separately by ordering it over the phone, its about 7$ for 2 FL OZ and I just apply it real quick with a cotton ball and I'm done.. it works for me way better then dans bp in every part of my face. Ive tested out over 5 different BP's and alternated between all of them in different parts of my face for the past year and the 3.7% is the best one by a long shot.

In reply to Siouxsie,

My skin is VERY oily around my forehead and nose, I am always using those little oil absorbing sheets, then my face is always dry around my chin. Using simply water does a good job of getting off the oil.. I gently rub a little extra with the cold water around the side of the lower part of my nose where it connects to the cheeks because its always feels greasy there when I wash... but once Im done my face feels perfectly clean. There is just something about washing with all those suds from a facial wash that for some reason dries the living heck out of me every time. If your make up is non-comedogenic try washing it off with water anyway, shouldn't hurt if you leave a little make up on. If its like eye liner or something the just wash that off with a wash but for make up on the cheeks, chin and forehead.. use non-comedogenic make up and wash it off with water because I noticed washing my face with a WASH was the #1 reason for my dry skin.

Anyhow, the lesson here is simply that some people will adjust DKR over time & come up with their own regimen that is customized to their individual needs (I'm using retin-a now in my "modified" DKR). I think it's important to give true DKR a fair shot though, because otherwise you'll never know if it's your deviations that are preventing it from being effective.

In reply to Siouxsie,

My skin is VERY oily around my forehead and nose, I am always using those little oil absorbing sheets, then my face is always dry around my chin. Using simply water does a good job of getting off the oil.. I gently rub a little extra with the cold water around the side of the lower part of my nose where it connects to the cheeks because its always feels greasy there when I wash... but once Im done my face feels perfectly clean. There is just something about washing with all those suds from a facial wash that for some reason dries the living heck out of me every time. If your make up is non-comedogenic try washing it off with water anyway, shouldn't hurt if you leave a little make up on. If its like eye liner or something the just wash that off with a wash but for make up on the cheeks, chin and forehead.. use non-comedogenic make up and wash it off with water because I noticed washing my face with a WASH was the #1 reason for my dry skin.