Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
masada

Different methods of treating acne

New to the forums, so I maybe in the wrong section.

Anyway, I'm 21 and have dealt with acne since I was 16. I've basically been through the whole spectrum of acne topicals that a dermatologists could prescribe(not accutane tho). It seems through those years, my acne would either subside or flare with no visible pattern and the prescribed medication having little effect. So making the jump to present day, I've recently tried a treatment I don't believe I've seen discussed on these forums.

About 4-5 months ago I was talked into trying this medical spa and decided to go that route instead of using accutane. It's quite expensive, but from what I was told facial peels and similar treatments would help reduce scarring and was a viable way to reduce acne. Now 5 months later I've really noticed marked improvement of the way my skin feels, reduction in the size of pores, and just overall better complexion. I have also been using a product called "Nicomide" that seems to be vastly improving my acne problems, although cant be too sure right now.

I was just wondering if anyone has done similar things or their feelings on "Facial therapy(I believe that's what it's called)." Because at first I felt skeptic and sorta out of place being a guy getting cosmetical work(the staff tend to disagree since it treats acne) on my face. But I seriously had enough with it and didn't want to go through the side-effects of accutane for the coming semester of college. So far I can't complain on results seeing it's probably the best my face has looked in awhile(I'll try to get pictures).

Although the clearing of my complexion is only recent(2wks), I just hope it holds. On top of this, I also use facial cleansers and apply a saliyic product at night.

So does anyone else do similar treatment or am I really the only guy to go through with this?? As far as I know I'm the only person who shows up for acne treatment at the clinic :redface:.

Rant end. Ok, now to delve into the rest of this massive forum board. I seriously could not believe they actually have a forum with the sole purpose of discussing acne, but I guess google can find anything.

The acne clinic I go to in the San Francisco bay area is run by an esthetician who specializes in treating acne. Facials w/extractions are a regular part of the treatment there, along with a prescribed at-home regimen. I think the facial treatments have helped me a lot. And they do have a number of male clients - teens and adults. So no, I don't think you are the only guy who has taken this treatment route! :) Glad it is working for you!