Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jane jones

Hello, my name is Sarah and I have mild acne

K

I went to the derm today (finally) and she gave me Minomycin (50 g), and Differen. But she told me to hold off on the Differen because I expressed a fear of putting crap on my face.

What do we think people? Will this fix me? No horror stories please.... I am fragile and impressionable....

Wait... Why are there 2 of these? Can a mod delete the other one please? :|

my name is sarah and i have mild acne too.

my derm reccomended i use differin. it helped me soo much for the first month then it started drying out my skin. so then i decided to use it every other day. so now when i don't use it, i wash my face with nuetrogena power foam wash- i love it, and i moisturize with cetaphil. this has helped soo much!!!

My name is also Sarah and I also have mild acne!

ummm... I don't really have anything to add other than that. I've never used Differin, but I hear a lot of people have had success with it. :) I'd be wary of antibiotics, though. I don't like that they stop working after a while. Good luck, Sarahs.

Whooo! Go Sarahs!!!

Ok question:

Would Minocycline make me dehydrated? I feel ever more parched and dry skinned since I started Mino a few days ago. This is annoying, cause I already have dry skin to begin with. Blegh. :confused:

Please be very very careful with the antibiotics. Yes, they stop working when you stop taking them. And if you want to know what happens to some really lucky people when they take AB's, check out my gallery or Mandy Ann's. Really really insane breakouts and tons of scars (and there are plenty of others like us!)! I never had anything remotely close to this before. I'd say my mild "acne" before the AB's was only maybe 2% of what it became after the AB's.

Thinking back on it, I really had nothing to complain about. I would take back the skin I had in January in a heartbeat! Now, I'm stuck trying to clean up this mess with a six month course of Accutane.

You are totally gorgeous as you are, so please just be aware of this possible outcome.

Good luck to you!

(ps- the photos I mentioned are found in the Accutane Gallery)

Antibiotics actually did help me a lot especially doxycycline but ya they are not a long term solution, once you stop taking them, acne comes back in full force. Take it from me who have been taking doxycyline 5 years, minocycline and erythromycin. Minocycline is pretty good, it cleared me up after doxycyline failed me but I had to stop taking it because of headaches and my acne comes back so watch out for the headaches if you do get them you have to stop. I'm not sure whether antibiotics make you dehydrated or not because I didn't. Only accutane does.

Differin is pretty good but it can cause breakout if you use it for the first time because it has about the same properties as accutane but milder. I used it for a while but I prefer Retin-A to differin because its stronger. Stick to differin first before you try Retin-A because its milder. Minocycline and differin are good weapons against acne so try to stick to it first.

Loads of crap

It is impossible that acne comes back more severe after AB! Secretly the bacteries multyplied behind your back??

It only looks more severe because you had clear skin before :). You could never know how your skin would have evolved without the AB. Perhaps your skin would even be worse in the same period you took AB then you didn't? (you know what I mean)

Your skin can't get drier due to AB, only more sun sensitive! Differin makes it drier!

Go for the differin! It does wonders in combination with AB!

What!?? My acne is going to get worse when I stop the antibiotics??? Now I'm scared.... but why would a derm prescribe antibiotics if they knew it would leave me worse off.... not too sure if I wanna believe that. I know some people on here have been on AB's for like 5 years and they're fine. By the time my 3 month prescription is up, I'll be heading off to uni, and I don't want to deal with a breakout then, so I'm gonna see if I can stay on antibiotics for a longer amount of time.

Anyway, what is the difference between Differin and Retin-A? My dermy told me that those were more for after I get my inflammatory acne gone. The antibiotics + topical Clindamycin are doing a pretty good job so far after a week and a half-ish.

Your acne may come back after you go off antibiotics (and for some people it does get worse). The reason for this is that acne bacteria are only a secondary cause of acne - the primary cause is clogged pores. The pores clog up first, then the bacteria multiplies, since it loves to feed on the trapped sebum in the follicles. So, when you take antibiotics and don't do anything to also prevent the clogged pores, the bacteria will get killed, the inflammed acne will go down (so it will look a lot better), but those little clogged pores are still under the surface of the skin. Once you stop the antibiotics, you have all those clogged pores just waiting to be refinfected by the acne bacteria, once it starts to multiply again.

Some people are lucky in that they happen to outgrow their acne during the years they are on antibiotics, so they stay clear when they go off the medication. I don't think this happens to many people though.

Long term antibiotics can also give you a yeast or fungal-related folliculitis. Look in the body acne and non-inflamed acne sections - this has happened to lots of people. And folliculitis can be even more stubborn than acne.

I want to respond to Apomes who says "loads of crap" to my warning. I did not have acne before I took Antibiotics. Severe acne does not just pop up out of the blue. And I am not a teen, so its not just hormones either. I uploaded photos of what I used to look like in the Member's Gallery if you want to see what I used to look like, less than a year ago.

I suspect Apomes was being sarcastic, but actually yes, bacteria are"multiplying behind your back" when you take AB's.

Different AB's kill different types/classes of bacteria. If you take one long-term, the balance in your system is upset and other bacteria can flourish in the absence of the ones being killed. Its like an ecosystem -- if one part becomes imbalanced, it affects everything else.

This is why you can get yeast infections, stomach problems, diarrhea, etc, on AB's.

All I wanted to do was alert you that there is a possibility of a bad outcome with AB's, though this is obviously not the case for most people. I am not trying to scare anyone, I just want you guys to make informed choices.

Good luck to you all.

antibiotics sure wasnt a long term solution for me..it did help me while i was on it but i just started breakin out the same once i stopped...

Aubergine and Willow: EXCELLENT posts that give people the true information about antibiotics. I'm NOT a proponent for antibiotics for mild acne. Antibiotics should only be given for severe nodulocystic acne (the kind that has massive cysts and weeping pustules). Any other use simply makes for more resistant bacteria and allows overgrowth of the bacteria that aren't killed. Remember that antibiotics will also KILL the bacteria your intestinal system needs to digest your food.

Antibiotics should only be used for a severe bacterial infection or severe nodulocystic acne. Any other use borders on the criminal in my nurse's mind.

Why do we have the news stories about antibiotic resistant bacteria? Overuse of antibiotics for everything from the common cold to mild, non inflammatory acne.

Use the Differin, do not use the antibiotic unless you have very large cysts that have a lot of pus in them.

The Differin can be so helpful, please give it a try! :)

So if antibiotics are so bad, why would derms prescribe them? My friend had mild acne and she was put on cycline antibiotics and she's got normal skin now. What would an alternative be, other than accutane (which I really don't think I need)?

As of now my Minocycline and topical Clindamycine are really working (knock on wood). I am scared about Differin because I heard it makes most people break out at first, and I honestly cannot emotionally handle another bad skin episode.

Anyway, I totally understand the whole clogged pores prevention thing, so I am using a Glycolic daily face wash in combination with Paula's Choice BHA 2% gel (since I heard that AHA + BHA works really well for people). So it's not like I'm just stuffing myself with antibiotics hahah. But now I'm scared, but I also am happy with my progress so far.

On the flip side, does anyone have any GOOD things to say about antibiotics?

I do. i have clear skin while on doxycycline for 5 years, something which many would have wanted very much and I don't really regret it at all. I didn't have side effects on antibiotics either. Actually just to get it clear, I realised that there is no medication that is a sure cure or a long term solution to acne. Only accutane seems to be the only one but many have to got through a few courses to get rid of it permanently so i doubt there's something that is " Ok take this and you are cured!" I realise in the world of acne, there is a lot of trial and error and you need loads of luck.

You can always try oral contraceptives if you don't want to go on antibiotics.

Hey-

I've been on a couple cyclins over the years. Currently, I'm taking Doxycyclin. I did try minocyclin before, too, but that did nothing for me.

I was really bad with taking my pills religiously every day of the week- normally, I'd skip the weekends- and this was the WORST thing I've ever done, (Please don't kill me Wynne!) cause it gives the bacteria that are still alive time to re-coupe and come back. I would notice that my skin got worse on Monday, so it def does stop working if you don't take it. But as long as you keep up with it, you'll be ok.

My old derm never really intended for me to stay on the cyclin's forever- they wanted me to give my skin a chance to be able to fight back while I used other things to combat the acne. I was given Tazorac in the past, but that didn't work too well, so I've been on Differin ever since. I used it often a while ago, mainly as a spot treatment, but when my face was clear, I got lazy and stopped all together. Now, I'm back using it, and it does help a ton. The only issue I've ever had with it is that it dries your skin out.

Sorry this got so long, but hope this helps!! Good luck! :)