Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
User28575

Need help picking EM foundation shade.

Okay, here's my dilemma. I have yellow undertones, strong yellow undertones. The lightest area of my body is not pink, but a light-yellow-white tone. I ordered my EM sample today to try and figure out which shade would be best, and here's the trouble. My face is more tan then the rest of my body. Probably because it sees more of the sun than the rest of my limbs. When I choose a foundation that matches my face tone it looks really natural on my face, but when you look at my neck or when I wear a tank top my face is two shades darker than my arms, legs, hands. If I choose a shade that matches my body, it doesn't look as natural on my face but it ties my whole body together. I'm just wondering what I should do in this situation? Ugh, I should probably use skin whitening creams to lighten my face to match with my body first, then pick a shade or something.

My face matches "Medium Beige" but my body is something like "golden light"... but neither really matches perfectly.

Have you tried winged butter? It's very very yellow and basically a darker shade of golden light.

Since your face is darker than your body, I suggest either choosing a shade between the two (or mixing the 2 shades that currently work) or using the light shade that matches your body & then using a bronzer to warm up your face so it doesn't look pasty or unnatural. You could even use the darker foundation as the bronzer, meaning you just dust it lightly over some key areas of your face where the sun might naturally add color. That way your face matches your neck but some parts of your face will have the darker shade. It looks more natural than a face all one color anyway, which can seem mask-like.

Before EM made olive shades, I used golden fair & then dusted a tiny bit of winged butter on my cheeks, bridge of nose, chin & forehead to add some color since golden fair made me look a bit sallow & was slightly too pale (light golden was slightly too dark for me). They were both a bit too yellow for me, as I am more olive than golden. Winged butter looks like gold dust or something :D

Email them a picture of yourself in full sunlight! They'll likely respond by the next business day with at least three suggestions.

A person who asked me for advice re EM (via PM) also sent in a picture by email and they responded that very day with three suggestions for him to try.

I cannot wait until next payday because I'm buying more EM. I've spent WAAAAY too much on jewelry supplies recently, so I do hope some of the designs I'll eventually come up with do sell. :redface:

Have you tried winged butter?

Yea, I just ordered another EM sample pack with the winged butter. Hopefully this matches my complexion. I can't say I've ever managed to find the 'perfect shade' that matches my skin tone. I mean, I've found a perfect foundation but never the perfect shade.

Email them a picture of yourself in full sunlight! They'll likely respond by the next business day with at least three suggestions.

Yea, hey thanks. I'm gonna do that.

Also on another note. Since I'm on Dan's BP regimen, and I've added BHA to my regimen, my face is so dry. I mean, even when I moisturize it just gives the appearance of oil on top of a dessert. I put my mineral makeup on, it does a great job of covering up any hyper pigmentation and pseudo-acne scars, but as soon as I smile... you can see how fake everything looks. I mean, I look like an old women with really dry skin and powder sitting on my face. Any suggestions on how to make my skin seem more dewy and less flaky and dry?

I'd found my perfect shade and foundation in EM, but then I got paler again. I'd inadvertently got some sun this summer so was darker than I am now.

So I'll just order some full size foundations I think and mix them until I find the perfect match.

Remember that your skin may change colors over the seasons and you may want a small variety of samples so that you can mix your shade as needed over the year.

Also on another note. Since I'm on Dan's BP regimen, and I've added BHA to my regimen, my face is so dry. I mean, even when I moisturize it just gives the appearance of oil on top of a dessert. I put my mineral makeup on, it does a great job of covering up any hyper pigmentation and pseudo-acne scars, but as soon as I smile... you can see how fake everything looks. I mean, I look like an old women with really dry skin and powder sitting on my face. Any suggestions on how to make my skin seem more dewy and less flaky and dry?

A BHA can be too much to combine with DKR, as both BP & SA are drying....I take it you're doing BP twice a day + SA? How long have you given DKR? I would say to try "strict" DKR long enough to adjust to BP & give it a chance to clear your skin before you start adding in more medicated products. 3 months is a good time frame to see if it's working for you, although some people take longer to see results. After that you might start experimenting, but I would still say that if you want to use BP & SA, to alternate them morning & night. Few people can tolerate layering them without getting too dry. A big part of DKR is being gentle, since BP is harsh enough on its own.

Once you've adjusted to the full amount of BP (usually about 4 weeks to work up to the full amount), then adding in a moisturizer with an AHA is a great way to combat flakes. This is an optional part of DKR.

I always reccommend Lac-Hydrin Five, cuz that's what I wear under my EM & it works great. Keeps the flakes away without making me more oily.

When I was very dry at first with DKR, I also would use a little jojoba oil before BP. Very gently massaging it in would remove flakes & it would help keep me moisturized. At night, try some jojoba oil with your moisturizer also & be generous. Jojoba oil before BP isn't technically part of DKR, but many other people seem to find it effective without hindering the benefits if BP.

If you need more DKR advice/encouragement, you can ask me or post in the DKR forum. :)