Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hatemyface123

What type of treatment could I try? Pix included please help

Dear all,

Attached are my horrid post acne pictures. I would truly appreciate it if you could advise me on who to see (ie- plastic surgeon, derm, etc) and what procedure to potentially try.

My story is in another posting titled "what happened to my face...please help".....never had white marks on my face....until I took accutane, combined with retin a and azelex as topicals.

I wasn't sure if this is possible or not but could they maybe cut out the circular scars and at least make them into a line?

Thank you so much for any and all help!

post-63508-1190398834_thumb.jpg

post-63508-1190398911_thumb.jpg

post-63508-1190399129_thumb.jpg

post-63508-1190399195_thumb.jpg

post-63508-1190398834_thumb.jpg

post-63508-1190398911_thumb.jpg

post-63508-1190399129_thumb.jpg

post-63508-1190399195_thumb.jpg

To me, your skin looks absolutely lovely. I am sorry you do not see it as it is.

You could go to a derm or a plastic surgeon and see what they think about treating your minor hypopigmentation.

Your skin is beautiful.

Thanks for the moral support but I know that my face is malformed...I just don't know what to do about it or what it is.

A dermatologist has ruled out vitiligo....another suggested that it was post inflammatory hypopigmentation....which I don't think it is because I did not have any inflammation in the areas where small circles have appeared.

Do you think it might be tinea versicolor?

Also, is anyone familiar with the types of methods physicians might use on a patient like me?

So far...the only solution suggested to me was using Obagic Nu Derm.

You are not malformed. Your skin is beautiful. It is not simply moral support, it is truth.

A topical retinoid and perhaps hydroquinone would help the even-ness of tone. A glycolic acid product in light strength, perhaps, but you'd be at risk for hyperpigmentation so would absolutely have to wear sunscreen.

Hypopigmentation just happens with some people when they have acne. I have it at the base of indented scars.

Thanks for the moral support but I know that my face is malformed...I just don't know what to do about it or what it is.

A dermatologist has ruled out vitiligo....another suggested that it was post inflammatory hypopigmentation....which I don't think it is because I did not have any inflammation in the areas where small circles have appeared.

Do you think it might be tinea versicolor?

Also, is anyone familiar with the types of methods physicians might use on a patient like me?

So far...the only solution suggested to me was using Obagic Nu Derm.

Thanks for the reply. I was using Retin A .04%...but have stopped using it because I felt that it was contributing to the hypopigmentation. I still use it to spot treat minor breakouts once monthly.

I'm sorry that you had to deal with hypopigmentation as well...but you are very fortunate that you have caucasion skin....which makes your hypopigmentation not noticeable at all to me through the picture you have posted.

Please keep the suggestions coming!

You may hate your face, but you have NO IDEA how much I would KILL for your skin. I registered here just so I could say that. I hope you feel better about your skin soon.

I think if you're really upset about it, try a really good makeup (males and females can use it). It's called Bare Minerals, and it's a mineral makeup that is so light and breathable that it doesn't clog. You can even sleep in it. It really evens out my skin coloring (I have terrible red scars and it really, REALLY helps lessen it).

You may hate your face, but you have NO IDEA how much I would KILL for your skin. I registered here just so I could say that. I hope you feel better about your skin soon.

I think if you're really upset about it, try a really good makeup (males and females can use it). It's called Bare Minerals, and it's a mineral makeup that is so light and breathable that it doesn't clog. You can even sleep in it. It really evens out my skin coloring (I have terrible red scars and it really, REALLY helps lessen it).

let's stick with basics, hatemyface. you need a prescription from a doctor. when you visit your doctor, tell him about your scar worries. and when he's done laughing, tell him that you want a prescription for a pair of ballz.

you're in a scar room. we're damaged goodz compared to you. go out and rollerblade, or whatever pussies do on weekends

Thank you all for your replies. Please do understand that the photos were taken with a 4.0 megapixel digital camera and are therefore probably not as clear as the hypopigmented spots would appear in person.

It becomes much more troublesome during the summer months because my skins tans...despite putting on sunblock everyday.

Please keep the advice constructive (ie-bug).

For your information bug- I am on anxiety pills because this condition has taken over my life. I really came on this site for help and have done nothing to deserve your ignorance.

To those of you truly on this site to help others and learn, please do share any advice on what I might be able to do.

Thank you.

hatemyface: I think you have a variant of body dysmorphia. What you truly need is counseling. Your skin is fine.

Skin needling sometimes brings pigmentation back. If nothing else works as a last resort you can look into a tatoo person who can permanently color the light areas. I don't know where you live but there is one is Orange County, CA . Look at her website susanchurch.com . I know she has done it before skin needling for pigmentation and I believe shes color corrected skin too.

There is some hypopigmentation there, albeit minor. Did you use the retin-a while accutane? Derms always say this is a big no-no...could have been what lead to the hypo?

If you are a female, does it not all cover up with makeup?

Guest delta force operators

my sister got hypopig from accutane alone, i think in her case she got it couse she wasnt eating healthy

Thanks so much for the website. Unfortunately, I live on the east coast (CT) and have not been able to find anyone that does needling or tatoo pigmentation in this area. Does it require multiple treatments? I would be willing to travel anywhere through new england if someone could help make it more even. Do you know of anyone who might do this type of procedure in the CT/MA area?

Thanks so much.

There is some hypopigmentation there, albeit minor. Did you use the retin-a while accutane? Derms always say this is a big no-no...could have been what lead to the hypo?

If you are a female, does it not all cover up with makeup?

hatemyface123 i totally understand where you are coming from and i think if ppl who are saying its nothing look closer they will see that the quality of the camera doesn't show everything that she would like.

I think if u did look into excision that u should know that the line it would leave would most likely be hypopigmented also but its definately something u could look into. Also i read about a product called V tar or something like that which could also help u.

Wish u the best of luck.

Tom

HMF123,

There is a drug vitiligo patients use called Psoralen which is supposed to help activate the pigment cells again I believe by some excitory action. Perhaps you dermatologist can tell you if it would be helpful in your case as well.

Also, there is a laser called ReLume which is supposed to help hypopigmentation.

I have a boxcar on my cheek which I subcised to bring it even with the surface of my skin but it is still very white. I am pretty white overall so admittedly that makes it less noticeable. However, I use Estee Lauder's eye pencil in khaki which makes it almost invisible. You mention that the makeup you use feels like a mask. That to me means you probably don't have the very best color match. In order to get my makeup to match my skin color much more closely than the standard foundation colors I add couple of drops of Mehron theatrical liquid makeup in green. It is a face, body, and hair coloring agent. Most foundation colors are too orange when you have olive undertones as I do, and as you probably do too since you mention Indian heritage.

Play around with adding different colors to your foundation and look at your skin very objectively. People really do come in all colors. Some people have grey, purple, pink or yellow undertones that no cosmetic manufacturer will ever duplicate. If you can get the very best color match possible on your foundation you won't have to wear a formulation as thick as dermablend. That should make it feel less like your wearing a mask.

My best to you HMF123!

Anna

HMF123,

There is a drug vitiligo patients use called Psoralen which is supposed to help activate the pigment cells again I believe by some excitory action. Perhaps you dermatologist can tell you if it would be helpful in your case as well.

Also, there is a laser called ReLume which is supposed to help hypopigmentation.

I have a boxcar on my cheek which I subcised to bring it even with the surface of my skin but it is still very white. I am pretty white overall so admittedly that makes it less noticeable. However, I use Estee Lauder's eye pencil in khaki which makes it almost invisible. You mention that the makeup you use feels like a mask. That to me means you probably don't have the very best color match. In order to get my makeup to match my skin color much more closely than the standard foundation colors I add couple of drops of Mehron theatrical liquid makeup in green. It is a face, body, and hair coloring agent. Most foundation colors are too orange when you have olive undertones as I do, and as you probably do too since you mention Indian heritage.

Play around with adding different colors to your foundation and look at your skin very objectively. People really do come in all colors. Some people have grey, purple, pink or yellow undertones that no cosmetic manufacturer will ever duplicate. If you can get the very best color match possible on your foundation you won't have to wear a formulation as thick as dermablend. That should make it feel less like your wearing a mask.

My best to you HMF123!

Anna

Hi Sheryllynn,

Yes, I performed my own subcision (all the normal disclaimers inserted here please...don't do it yourself, it could be dangerous, and you could make it worse...!), but yes I did.

I have a boxcar on my check which was pretty depressed and bound down. I decided why not go underneath it with a needle and let it fill with blood and maybe it will improve it. I had come home from a party and was really tired from smiling the whole night. I was smiling all night because when I smiled it stretched the scar making it much less visible.

So, at 1:00 am I went at my scar with a needle from a single spot at the bottom and slowly fed the needle in parallel with the skin surface across the scar. I then went back and and reapproached in a fan pattern until I reached every bit of the scar. I then squeezed it a lot and the blood pooled underneath it and it came up to the surface. It was really red, and the popping sound it made while I did it was a bit disconcerting, but while I was doing it I was thinking of how I was destroying a thing that was making me unhappy. It worked so well, that a week later I did it on a light scratch scar on my forhead and two tiny scars by my mouth. All in all it was a great success for me. The boxcar is still very white as it is scar tissue and shiny, but it is almost completely level with the rest of my skin and I am at peace with it...until something comes along that can make it all heal perfectly. There are other little scars like icepicks that this hasn't helped at all, no point in even trying on those...sadly.

Hope that helps! Glad you liked my eye pencil trick. I hope you find it useful!

Anna

Hi Sheryllynn,

Yes, I performed my own subcision (all the normal disclaimers inserted here please...don't do it yourself, it could be dangerous, and you could make it worse...!), but yes I did.

I have a boxcar on my check which was pretty depressed and bound down. I decided why not go underneath it with a needle and let it fill with blood and maybe it will improve it. I had come home from a party and was really tired from smiling the whole night. I was smiling all night because when I smiled it stretched the scar making it much less visible.

So, at 1:00 am I went at my scar with a needle from a single spot at the bottom and slowly fed the needle in parallel with the skin surface across the scar. I then went back and and reapproached in a fan pattern until I reached every bit of the scar. I then squeezed it a lot and the blood pooled underneath it and it came up to the surface. It was really red, and the popping sound it made while I did it was a bit disconcerting, but while I was doing it I was thinking of how I was destroying a thing that was making me unhappy. It worked so well, that a week later I did it on a light scratch scar on my forhead and two tiny scars by my mouth. All in all it was a great success for me. The boxcar is still very white as it is scar tissue and shiny, but it is almost completely level with the rest of my skin and I am at peace with it...until something comes along that can make it all heal perfectly. There are other little scars like icepicks that this hasn't helped at all, no point in even trying on those...sadly.

Hope that helps! Glad you liked my eye pencil trick. I hope you find it useful!

Anna

The sound would occur when I was in the middle of the scar. I actually performed a little lifting action in addition to the parallel poking, I think that's when the binding scar fibers broke and made the popping sound. Another thing I did was every couple of days afterwards I would squeeze the scar coming in from around it and bring blood to the surface of it again. This delayed healing but I believe built up the tissue underneath and helped with getting the scar level to the rest of the skin.