Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ryanjm

Keratosis Pilaris - red marks that look like acne - my treatment

I've read this forum for a while, but decided to register today to share what works for me.

My problem is that the skin around my upper thighs/buttocks/waist, and upper arms has red marks around the hair follicles, and is rough and bumpy. When I googled these symptoms I came up with Keratosis Pilaris, however the pictures showed more severe cases than what I had, so I wasn't sure. I also get flare-ups where the small red marks become larger and look like big cystic zits. So I went to a dermatologist and he described it as Folliculitis and prescribed me some antibiotic gel known as Clindamycin and oral antibiotics called Erythromycin. Both of those are supposed to take care of bacterial problems. None of this worked.

I tried a lot of things recommended on these forums, such as various moisturizers like jojoba oil, the supposed red mark cure cream called Sudocrem, and the BP regimine sold here. None of these worked. I even bought an AHA creme, but I think it was too weak or I didn't use it enough, because that didn't work either.

I went to a second dermatologist a year or so later, same diagnosis/prescription, same result. Finally, a 3rd dermatologist I saw a week ago said that this was Keratosis Pilaris and he got me a 20AHA Glycolic Acid body wash, a 15AHA gel to put on after showering, and a prescription for .05% desonide lotion which is supposed to take care of redness. This treatment, after 3 days, has started to show fantastic results. My skin is much smoother, and the redness is starting to fade. I will try to remember to update this after another week to see if it has totally taken care of the problem.

I hope this is helpful for people like me who tried to figure out what their condition is called and can't find an exact symptom match. I think my Keratosis is a tricky diagnosis because when I have flare-ups it looks very much like acne, and when it's not flared up it looks like mild keratosis. Good luck to you all.

Just wanted to update this for anyone who ever searches for Keratosis Pilaris. After a couple of weeks my skin is about 80% better. Still a few marks here and there but the majority are gone and it's improving every day. Good luck to everyone.

Cool. Glad to hear you found a solution

I get it mildly on the backs of my arms. I find a 2% bha and a moisturizer with an aha (lac-hydrin five) applied at least once a day will keep my arms smooth. BP never worked well at all for me either and a mild aha lotion alone was not enough, but it helped a bit.

As with acne, I'm sure the more severe cases may require stronger medications.

I used 0.1%Triamcinolone Acetonide cream for what was apparently folliculitis on my legs. It cleared them up finally & I use 2% bha now to maintain them so it doesn't come back. It took me 2 years to find a solution for that.....tiny red bumps & spots that would not go away & I had no idea what they were....

It seems diagnosing this kind of stuff can be half the issue....

can any of this be purchased online? Or do I need a prescription?

I know there was some dermdoctor (maybe?) website that had a treatment, but I was wary of trying something that expensive and then not having it work!

I don't have any experience with Kerastosis Pilaris, but I came across a website that sells products that seem to be quite good for its sufferers. The company is based in Australia, but they ship worldwide I think. You'll find the website easily enough if you google "moogoo". (I heard you can't post links to products here)