Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
leslie788

tretinoin 7 weeks-told my face would look better at 6 weeks...

HI. I've been on tretinoin and doxycyline for 7 weeks. My derm told me I would see a noticeable difference by 6 weeks. As of now, the pimples on my forehead do look better. But I never had those pimples to begin with. They were from the initial breakout. The reason I took tretinoin was not really to fight my acne, but to fight my red spots because I had pretty much gotten rid of my acne earlier by drinking more water. It seems like the red/purple spots on my forehead may have faded, but I don't know about anywhere else. It looked like about after 4 weeks, maybe they might have faded a little, but if so, it doesn't seem like they have progressed since. How much longer should I wait out tretinoin? Is it possible it might not be working for me? Why shouldn't it work for me?

HI. I've been on tretinoin and doxycyline for 7 weeks. My derm told me I would see a noticeable difference by 6 weeks. As of now, the pimples on my forehead do look better. But I never had those pimples to begin with. They were from the initial breakout. The reason I took tretinoin was not really to fight my acne, but to fight my red spots because I had pretty much gotten rid of my acne earlier by drinking more water. It seems like the red/purple spots on my forehead may have faded, but I don't know about anywhere else. It looked like about after 4 weeks, maybe they might have faded a little, but if so, it doesn't seem like they have progressed since. How much longer should I wait out tretinoin? Is it possible it might not be working for me? Why shouldn't it work for me?

hmm that's an old urban myth. drinking more water wont get rid of your acne. sounds like you have a mild case. but you should definitely wait a bit longer, or you can myabe bump up your tretinoin strength

It does look better, as you say. The initial breakout just means that you got rid of stuff that was going to happen anyway someday.

Any topical retinoid takes a full three months to show good improvement. After that, with each ensuing month, the skin just improves (for most people).

Be patient. ;) Nothing is ever immediate.

hmm that's an old urban myth. drinking more water wont get rid of your acne. sounds like you have a mild case. but you should definitely wait a bit longer, or you can myabe bump up your tretinoin strength

I really think the water got rid of my acne. Last May I used to get about 2 big red pimples every week and I never drank that much water because I was in school, so I couldn't go to the bathroom whenever I wanted, but then once school got out, I started drinking lots of water and started getting less pimples.

I was horrified when my derm said that it could take up to 2 YEARS to see the full effects......(I want it NOW dammit, I'm so impatient lol ;) )

It does look better, as you say. The initial breakout just means that you got rid of stuff that was going to happen anyway someday.

Any topical retinoid takes a full three months to show good improvement. After that, with each ensuing month, the skin just improves (for most people).

Be patient. ;) Nothing is ever immediate.

Thanks Wynne. I guess my future acne is getting better then, lol...

I was horrified when my derm said that it could take up to 2 YEARS to see the full effects......(I want it NOW dammit, I'm so impatient lol ;) )

Are you on tretinoin?