Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LM_06

Kaolin in makeup - can you point me to credible info?

Hi All,

I was trying to read about Kaolin in makeup, but can't find much serious info. I mean, there are a lot of beauty sites selling products containing Kaolin - but I can't find much info that sounds like solid truth.

Got any web sites I can read?

I like the way it makes some mineral makeups look on my face - but I want to be sure I"m not going to ruin my "clear-ness".

Thanks!

Some of what you said - about it not breaking me out - is what I was looking to find. I know it is a clay and I have read that it is very absorbent. But I can't find anything that talks about daily use - as in using it every single day in makeup. Is that too often?

I don't seem to be sensitive to it - as far as I can tell - but have only used it less than 10x in various makeup brands I've been trying recently.

I am just hoping to find that long term use of it - daily wearing in makeup - won't be irritating, or won't clog pores, etc.

It looks so nice and smooth in the makeup I'm wearing now - and I hope that long term use won't clog my pores.

This might sound weird, but I'm much more afraid of synthetics or compounds used for industrial purposes used in makeup today than I am of something that is...well...dirt.

Oh, that's not weird, Dee. But I have to scrutinize ingredients whether they're natural or synthetic. I'm extraordinarily sensitive. I can get rashes, hives, eczema, etc. Besides, some stuff that occurs in "natural dirt" can be unkind to our skin too. So I'm trying to be careful. That's all. :)

I really do understand. I'm careful too.

A few Philosophy products have made me break out in hives. I know for a fact that certain makeup ingredients can irritate my skin badly and make it more acne prone. I didn't realize how bad it was until I got clear while not wearing makeup. Then, as soon as I had to wear it everday again my skin went berserk. Unfortunately, I'm pretty scarred up and feel I need the coverage.

Like I said, kaolin has been ok for me. Clays in general have not given me problems. That's all I can say to try to be helpful. Obviously different people will be sensitive to different things. Good luck! :)

Thanks Dee. Knowing your experience - especially since you sound sensitive to ingredients too - does help me a LOT. THANK YOU!!