Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cubsin2100

Adult Males and Acne...

Hey guys...

This is my first time venturing into the adult acne thread... and I must say, the people here seem much more civil, which is a plus.

As Ill be turning 20 very shortly, I have slowly come to realize that I may be dealing with acne for the long haul. I was just taken off accutane due to some eye concerns, it was my second course. I had one course about 2 years ago... and it was alright, but things are back to really bad. I was thinking about starting up again, but the more I look into it, the more I realize that acne may have impacted the depression/ badness I feel today.

So I tried searching around, but I thought this may be easier...

Who here is a male, and how old is everyone? I guess I just wanted to try and see how some of the adult males were handling acne, whether it was differnt from the stuff they suffered from as teens, if it responds differently, etc. I mean, by this time, almost 20, I think my hormones should be settled down, wouldn't you think? Are we just relegated to spending a life of super high hormone causing acne, while at the same time not being able to use our super high hormones in a productive manner (ie, find a significant other?) I think I will endever back into the holistic forums...

I realize that adult acne in males/female work a bit different in terms of hormones, so I was trying to get a male idea. Everyone keeps telling me... "It will go away, don't worry... how many adults do you see with acne? How many 40 year olds do you see with zits?" I try and tell them many adults suffer from it, but they don't believe.

My older brother is now 24, and still suffers from acne, and his was always about half as bad as mine... so I am starting to get very disheartened, especially as accutane is a no go for me. Well I know this thread isn't going to make me feel any better, but oh well...

hey bro.

i'm 26. i'm back in undergrad for another degree. you know what that means...i'm in class w/ 18-22 year olds. and they all have better skin than me. and i go to a huge university, so during breaks, i'm on the sidewalk w/ thousands of students w/ perfect skin...who are also younger than me. it sucks balls. no if, and, or but about that.

i guess you could say i'm spotty. i broke out real bad when class started. so i have small blotches here and there. except, they're all over the dam place, so it adds up, ya know? so when people look at me, i always think they're lookin at my acne. but i really doubt it. i look different from most people. cuz i'm mixed race, and my facial features pull attention from nosy people. but i always, ALWAYS automatically assume they're lookin at my acne.

i have a new beautiful philosophy that i'm working on. everytime a girl looks at me as they walk by, i feel so crappy that i can't look her in the eye, so i look down. then she thinks she's done wrong, and usually she'll look down too. my philosophy is 'who would want me?'. then i think, 'no one. and i can't blame them'. this is beyond acne though. it's the whole shabang. it's a good humbling question to ask yourself. well, that's how i think, anyway. i'm proud of what i am, don't get me wrong. but if i think, no one wants me, it's not depressing. it's liberating. cuz then i automatically think, well, it's ok that i still got skin problems (even though i'm frickin 26). cuz no one wants me anyway! ha! i'm ok w/ slipping under the radar.

there may be girls out there genuinely interested in me. and that's frickin awesome. but i'm not concerned w/ that. when i feel like crap, i'd rather be invisible. even to a girl i want more than anything else in this world.

try my tactic out ONLY if you're a strong minded person. i've been through shit, so i can handle shit. if you're a pussy who gets depressed easily, this direction of philosophy will only make you feel more dark...

oh ya, for your acne cure. you have to give it time. like, months. don't expect to eat healthy and wake up the next day w/ perfect skin. but plan on a couple months, and stick to the gameplan. you'll reap benefits. patience is key my friend

dam that was a huge reply! sorry bro!

Hey Guys,

I'm actually in the same boat as both of you.

It all started back in high school, right when I turned 15, but my case is a little different, its got some twist to it.

Before I started high school, I had spent about 3 years in Mexico, family tragedy so parent went back I had to choice, I ended up finishing 5 grade through junior high there.

Finally parent came to his senses and we came back to the states.

As soon as I would say 6 months of eating the food and drinking milk every day as i did back in mexico, I started breaking out.

But I didn't pay much attention to it.

I thought I just was going through puburity.

Not the case, I'm now 20 and still break out, I mean yea there were seasons and time periods were I would gain control over this acne battle.

But it always seems to find a way back.

Currently I'm breaking out around the jaw line mostly, my forehead is pretty much clear, basicly all the scars are gone, and my face looks pretty clear, expect for when you look at me from the sides close up.

I never went to any dermotologist, or put any of the prescription Drugs, but I did venture into, the infomercial products, and really didn't see much results with most of them, atleast not long term.

I also found out, that I wasn't completely following directions correctly later on after I had given up on the product.

Yea you could say I have spend a couple gran over the years on this acne battle, now like you GUYS say ADULT ACNE.

Currently I'm using home remedies, but to limit my post, let me know if you're interest in hearing me out.

Ive had acne since I was 14 and Im now 23. Ive had severe cystic acne at 18, even though all of my 18 yr old friends who I went to school with had no acne what so ever! How can it differ so vastly between people of the same age, you would assume most people would have acne between 14-18 as our bodys are changing. But im the only person I know(and I know alot of people now threw all the different jobs ive had, football teams, pubs, friends of friends)who has had acne and still gets it 23!

My acne was severe at 18 so I went on a course of tane, this kept me clear for around 6 months and then acne slowly came back but in a much milder form. Tiny whiteheads on my lower cheek, jaw, line, and neck. I find a good topical and a good antibiotic keeps me clear, though I do get tired of this strict reimen. I dont really drink any more because im always on a course of antibiotics, if I go away for a weekend with the lads I have a bag full of creams, moisturizers and vitamins and its quite embarassing. I just want to be a normal bloke who shoers twice a day with soap and water and never gets a spot!

If I were you I would get a course of Tetracyline and a good topical retiniod from the doc. Then book yourself in at a local beauty clinic for a block of chemical peels, I find Agera peels the best. Its a block of 6 and your skin should clear by the 3rd or 4th peel, finish the course and once your clear you should be able to maintain your skin with antibiotics and a topical.

I'm a 20 year old male and I was in you guys shoes until about 2 months ago. I changed my diet real strict and added a pretty hardcore workout regimen but this really did nothing but raise my self esteem a little. I tryed all the Topicals and they did nothing but make my skin look blotchy and ugly. Accutane worked like a dream come true...........until 6 months later my acne came right back (not as bad as before, but still..).

So after reading some of the posts by THEREALCURE i decided that I might as well try cutting back on my sexual activity. So after quitting all sex/masturbation for a month i was clear. For the first time since 8th grade I was actually clear.

I don't really care that this is listed as a myth and that people constantly bash the idea, but if you would search the forums there are alot of testimonies saying pretty much the same thing that I am.

At least its worth a try..

Even if the sex thing is true why should you have to deprive yourself? Joe bloggs next door eats, drinks, and smokes what he likes, has sex every night, only washes with soap n water, not £25 bottles of salacylic acid and he never gets a spot!

If Joe Bloggs can then I can, acne is bloody ridiculous! I cant believe we have not found something to lower oil production in 2007! I cant believe with all the technology available to us now that this cant be cured. Im certain it can and I dont know whats taking so long!

Hey guys, thanks for all the input... its nice to hear I'm not alone.

I tought think im trying to grapple with, I guess, is it seems like if we have ane now, we are going to have it indefinately? Everyone tells me, don't worry, how many 35 years old do you see with ance? Well, I suppose not many, but they are out there. My question Im trying to deal with is, if it will ever "go away" at this age, when will it occur? If it were hormonal, it seems like it should be gone by now...

I think I'm gonna try to change my diet, maybe go paleo? I already do dairy free (I'm vegetarian, but I may go meat again). I may even try the sexual activity thing (as If that really a big thing for me? ha....). Im also thinking about trying thte accutane again, at this point, it worths risking the mental effects...

But Im just getting worried. What about when I start looking for a job? During interview, this won't look so great. What about when I really want to find a serious girlfiriend, or any girl for that matter... Just not looking so great.

Hey guys, thanks for all the input... its nice to hear I'm not alone.

I tought think im trying to grapple with, I guess, is it seems like if we have ane now, we are going to have it indefinately? Everyone tells me, don't worry, how many 35 years old do you see with ance? Well, I suppose not many, but they are out there. My question Im trying to deal with is, if it will ever "go away" at this age, when will it occur? If it were hormonal, it seems like it should be gone by now...

I think I'm gonna try to change my diet, maybe go paleo? I already do dairy free (I'm vegetarian, but I may go meat again). I may even try the sexual activity thing (as If that really a big thing for me? ha....). Im also thinking about trying thte accutane again, at this point, it worths risking the mental effects...

But Im just getting worried. What about when I start looking for a job? During interview, this won't look so great. What about when I really want to find a serious girlfiriend, or any girl for that matter... Just not looking so great.

I am male, 25 years old

recently I found out about fish-oil, I used to take it sometimes, but never dosage that is needed 2-4 grams EPA per day

I was reading natural/holistic topic on acne.org messageboard and I got an idea

bought myself twinlab mega epa (550mg of EPA per capsule, so you can drink 4 caps a day) divied by meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner, and before going to sleep)

it took me about 10 days to see results, and they are really above expectations

I am kind of perfectionist, never satisfied with my skin, but this is so close to clear skin I could only dream about

I can say I am 99% clear now, I don't have even one active pimple, only a few redmarks fading away on it's own

I use differin sometimes, it is pretty drying for my skin so I don't use it every night

I also use vitamin B5 (not too much, about 2,5 - 5 grams a day) but I will try to cut out B5 and only rely on fish oil

try it, you have nothing to lose, it will even help you if you have bad cholesterol levels

I was SOOO CLOSE to getting (ro)accutane but after I got my blood test, it showed my liver enzymes are too high (AST and ALT) so I have to drink a lot of water to clean my body

my derm didn't let me do roaccutane course until my liver enzymes goes to normal values (it was ok 2 months ago - strange)

I can say I have mild acne, but so stuburn blackheads and kind of strange oily skin, I wanted to go trough accutane to reduce sebum production

hey bro.

i'm 26. i'm back in undergrad for another degree. you know what that means...i'm in class w/ 18-22 year olds. and they all have better skin than me. and i go to a huge university, so during breaks, i'm on the sidewalk w/ thousands of students w/ perfect skin...who are also younger than me. it sucks balls. no if, and, or but about that.

most men outgrow acne by the time they are 25. of course that isn't always the case but it's pretty rare for men to have acne after that. it's actually pretty common for women to have acne when they are older though.

I'm 21 and I've had acne since I was 14. I had pretty severe acne, 40+ pimples on my face, half a dozen cysts etc. When I was 18/19? I went on accutane and cleared up most of my whiteheads/cysts. But roughly 8 months later, my acne came back, although in a milder form. I went on accutane again and now 8 months after my second round, my acne has remained at bay. I still get a few red pimples every now and then, but they go away fairly quickly. My skin still looks like shit though, as accutane never addressed my blackheads. Unlucky for me, wherever I have blackheads, I also have redness. And since my nose and cheeks don't have a pore without a blackhead, the whole area is red (with a few small white areas, w/o blackheads) - it looks like rosacea, but it's not (I don't think). Though, I'm on a new BHA so hopefully it will get rid of them and I will be free.

Accutane was a real life saver for me, I went from pimples everywhere -> pimples, but controllable -> a few spots - after two courses of it.

Accutane is a bitch for the 6 months one is on it, but it`s worth it - even if you need to take it twice to get the full effect.

hey bro.

wow.. i'm in the same situation. 26 and back in undergrad for another degree. And my cheeks break out mildly with uneven pores. Nothing major, but my chin always erupts with white heads and turn red. My skin is just too sensitive.

I can also relate to most of this and have to give you props for starting such a relevant thread. First off I am extremely frustrated/fucking pissed that there is no cure, or at least a safe and effective treatment available to this day. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Sebaceous...al-t169802.html looks to be the most promising procedure I have come across, but it's effectiveness and even existence has yet to be verified. I am soon to be 22 years old and am currently on my second course of Accutane @40mg/day. I did my first course at 19 and stayed clear for precisely one year and then it started to come back, so I decided rather then let it get as bad as it was I would hit it with accutane early. This is what I should have done in 10th grade, but I was frightened by the internet horror stories purported by sites trying to sell me something. I'm currently in the middle of my fourth month and I just had to get a nasty cyst on my neck injected with cortisone, but, other than that my face has been pretty much clear save red marks, mild scars and pesky blackheads(which may never subside) so I can't really complain. I really do appreciate Tane and will be back on it again and again and again if the courses continue to be superficial. I to have been emotionally crippled by acne ad my future outlook is bleak, you can read more about that here http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...p;#entry2007664

I recently stared seeing a psychologist and he is helping.

Ive also toyed with the idea of abstaining from certain foods and sex/masturbation, but Ive already sacrificed so much to my acne, I have to draw the line here...for now. I am also going to college and simply can't stand going to class in the midst of a break out and I think this whole acne thing has seriously affected my academic performance and general abilities of concentration.

So yeah, in short adult Acne sucks for men in a unique way just as I assume it must suck for women in a unique way, I just hope that soon we will all be able to cure it in a unique way.:)

You people have to understand that just because what triggers our breakouts doesn't for other people doesn't mean that it's not a trigger for us!

We have acne to begin with because something is different in us. What that is I don't know, but for sure it is something specific to us, and it is inside us, it's related to our body. No topicals will help me. So anyway, certain things we do can cause acne breakouts because it triggers whatever it is in us that makes us prone to this. In my case I noticed that every time I have breakouts I have digestive problems. It is something I eat that causes this, or my body that simply craps out sometimes and leads to breakouts as my body can't digest food properly, I don't know. But what is fine for others is not necessarily so for us.

I'll try to cut down on sexual activity because quite frankly getting rid of acne is the most important thing for me, it is ruining my life.

Oh yeah I turned 25 recently.

Hey chocobot, I agree with your idea that there is something fundamentally askew in our system and I wouldn't be surprised if all of us adult male acne sufferers were inflicted with a common defect. You would think that with a little research some scientist would be able to identify what it is, but there all too busy finding new ways to dispense salicylic acid.

Would you mind telling us what you have tried in the past to get rid of acne. If you haven't been on Tane then I highly recommend it, even if your acne is mild or moderate, because as I see it, any acne at that age would be severely debilitating in so many ways.

Andersoj I can so relate to you.

Acne has severely messed up my life. I have had severe acne since I was 13, and after two courses of Accutane, and all sorts of retinoids after my acne is mild.. I'm 22 now.

But now I freak out over even the smallest acne that appears, because to me, its like a return to a very low point of my life where for an entire year, I didn't leave my room and I attempted suicide...which is a sore point of my life. I've really only told this to my psychiatrist. For like 5 years I had trouble sleeping. I would get like 4-5 sleep paralysis in one night, and sometimes I would wake up with the back of my hand bleeding because I clawed my hands while having nightmares. I have much more to write, but I hate being too personal. This is stuff that I don't tell my parents, but because of being anonymous, I'm less hesitant to speak. This wasn't just acne...there was other stuff, but acne was a major contribution, and reflecting back, I may be struggling with a few mental disorders and eccentricities.

My acne is mostly gone now, but god, I've spent probably tens of thousands of dollars on various acne treatments. It really screwed me up. With high school, I didn't need to really study to get A's, but in University, I couldn't manage that way. I skipped all my classes and crammed the night before exams. So I dropped out, but this is my first year back to school....

The past year, there were some girls that thought I was cute, so theres hope. I thought I was a lost cause...I think I still am...but now I can at least try ;)

Its strange, but when problems come my way, I usually can handle it. I bounce back.

Not acne though. Its on your face. You see it everyday. It just drives me nuts.

It seems like such a superficial problem, but I only think people with severe acne or people who just can't stand acne can only understand.

And its frowned upon when guys speak out about mental disorders or superficial problems. I bottled up my depression and anxiety problems for years and years until it just exploded.

Geez now I feel like I'm being too emotional....

Ugh, I regret typing that stuff, but maybe someone can relate to my post.

My family also has a history of mental disorders, so it may have been partially genetic. But acne makes me really depressed.

No pity. My skin is ok at this point...

Thanks for sharing your story Smokey J, I can empathize with both what you said as well as your reluctance to say it.

I'm 23 and still dealing with mild/moderate acne, it's awful. I've had acne since I was 14, so it's been almost 10 years since my first breakout. The thing I hate about it is that I just graduated college in June and I'm still looking for full-time work, so I have to worry about going to interviews, job fairs and etc. pretending to be super confident with zits on my face (never makes a great first impression :doubt: ).

It doesn't help either that it seems like 99% of the people my age never get even one zit anymore, and I'm still dealing with controlling breakouts like I'm 16 years old. I already look young for my age as well (most say I look 18-19), so trying to look the part of a professional, college graduate is hard when I look like a teenager with acne. It's mostly under control, I just break down about it because it's so inconsistent. Sometimes I'll go a month or two with 1-2 tiny, tiny whiteheads so I start thinking I've grown out of it, then suddenly I'll get a cyst on my cheek or something out of nowhere. It's ridiculously frustrating.

Acne has been the bane of my existance for my entire adult life. Actually even longer than that...Since I was 13. I feel your frustration dude. Right now I'm using a salicylic acid cleanser and it's doing a pretty good job. My face is quite clear. :)

Hey all,

I'm 24 here and went through 3 sessions of accutane and still had breakouts. I have been on DKR since June and it has worked wonders. I'm still unsure why it has worked so well, but I'm not complaning :)

hey guys,

im 25 and gonna be 26 in november. i started getting acne when i was about 15. so im going on about 10 years of this bs. ill tell you what the worst part about this whole thing is. i dont think im breaking out more, or more severly, or in different places than i used to. the difference is, is that at some point, you skin decides it doesnt want to heal anymore. so before when i used to get maybe 10 or so cysts a month... they would all heal up in a couple of days or so. now im getting about 10 or so cysts a month.... and they take like 6months-1year for the hyperpymentation to go away completely. THAT SUCKS because it makes me look like i have way more acne than i really do. ive taken everything you can name, including accutane 3 times. right now, im in a just kind of "screw it" mode. i dont feel like wasting money on crap that doesnt work. ive got a great gf who doesnt care. and i have the acne sufferers dream job. I WORK AT HOME doing online tech support. i cant tell you how much better working at home is making me feel about myself. i dont have to constantly have that feeling that everyone is looking at me and judging me. still... it would be nice to git rid of this acne. from the sounds of it though... looks like ill be dealing with it for a long time with people running around this board in their 40's still dealing with it. i hate to think ill never get to see what my face looks like with no acne while im still young. i think that part bothers me the most. ill never get to see myself as a good looking young man.