Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ryuqi

Should I Use Lac Hydrin 5?

Hi, I've been on the regimen for probably near a month now. My acne has cleared up a bit, but my pores seem to be big and somewhat clogged, they are also a bit red. I've heard that lac hydrin 5 helps with this and was wondering if I should add it to my regimen and expect it to help. Please give me your advice.

Lac Hydrin 5 contains lactic acid, which is a fairly mild AHA. You can try it, but chances are it won't help much with clogged pores--for that you may need something stronger like glycolic acid or salicylic acid. Lac Hydrin 5 is supposedly great for getting rid of flakes, however.

I stopped using LH5 because it burns like HELL... and if something burns.. best believe u will be flaky as hell very soon after. My face can simply not handle it... stick to something like complex 15 if you need a moisturizer.. AHA is pointless if you have red marks.. they will go away with time.. AHA's will just irritate the hell out ya.

AHAs do a great job of exfoliating though.

AHAs can't exfoliate the inside of a pore because they aren't oil soluble.

Redness is still normal at this point. Lac-Hydrin Five is great for exfoliating, but something with glycolic acid (ie. Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion) which is stronger may help more with comedal acne. AHAs won't do a whole lot for clogged pores though.

Otherwise, you could try alternating a BHA (ie. 2% salycic acid) with BP; layering them is a bad idea as that can really over-dry & irritate the skin.

BP might help the pores over time, but comedal acne can actually take more time to clear than inflammatory. I recommend adding in an AHA, giving it a few more months, and then addressing the pores again if they are still an issue.

BTW: It is normal for a moisturizer with an AHA moisturizer to sting at first. Your skin has to adjust to. I would start once a day with it & then build up to twice if you want.