Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kei_fujo

new to the retin!

well, i was at the dr with my daughter today and i just decided i couldn't take it anymore and since i was there i would ask him about my skin. so he gave me retin-a micro and told me to just use a basic cleanser and basic moisturizer. any tips would be appreciated. this is my first try with an rx.

Hi,

I'm a medical esthetician working for a Dermatologist. I saw your post and had to respond. Some questions...is there something specific going on with your skin? Acne, aging, discoloration? Why did he prescribed Retin-A. Is it .04% or .1% Here are some basic instructions:

Retin-A is only used at night. The amount to apply is a little more than pea size. Dot it on your face (the whole face, no spot treating and avoid your eyes!) and rub in. A gentle cleanser should be used am and pm. Suncreen is CRITICAL. Your skin will be more sensitive to the sun and can burn easier. I can give you some great sunscreen recommendations if you'd like (they won't be OTC though, I hate those, not enough UVA protection and they are mostly chemical sunscreens...you want micronized zinc oxide). Do not wax your face while on Retin-A. Your skin will "lift" or tear off. You need to be off at least 2 weeks before waxing and inform your esthetician you've been using Retin-A (for this or any other service you're doing). Do not wash your face with a washcloth, hands only.

No other forms of exfoliation while on Retin-A. A moisturizer can be used in the am and pm, but it should have no active ingredients (AHA's, retinol). I can also make some great recommendations if you'd like. So many Dr.s write scrips for RA with no explicit home care instructions. Also, expect to peel/flake and get red as your skin adapts. This could last for a few weeks or longer. Also, if you're acne prone, your acne may get worse before it gets better. If you have any questions I'd be glad to help.

I have a lot of noninflammed acne with some actives and I tend to get some deep cycts as well. It just keeps getting worse. I have tried many different things and have been recommended rx retins by a number of sources. So that was why I asked for it. He prescribed retin-a micro .1%. I did know about using a sunscreen and the waxing (I'm a cosmetologist and have to ask new clients about that all the time!) I got olay complete because of the spf. I know if I'm gonna spend any length of time in the sun I will need something more and generally use neutrogena dry touch spf30. Any suggestions on products is definately welcomed!! A question I do have is, if I use a moisturizer at night should it be before or after the RAM? I have read that even using one after can affect it since it is time released and not absorbed as quickly.

If you have to use a moisturizer, wait at least a half hour to an hour after applying RA. Preferably you won't use one at night, just in the am before your sunscreen, if you're using a physical suncreen. Apply it after your suncreen if you're using a chemical sunscreen. I recommend a physical suncreen (zinc/titanium dioxide which is much less irritating than avobenzone). I recommend Elta M.D. SPF 45 or Dermalogica Super Sensitive SPF 30.

Retin-A won't do anything for cysts but is very helpful for mild to moderate acne.

Are either of those a moisturizer or just a sunscreen? If just sunscreen are there any moisturizers you prefer? Thanks for the suggestions. My cysts aren't frequent. But I do get them. Mostly it's noninflammed and some actives, a lot of which started as noninflammed.

My derm told me that spf doesn't really mean anything.

Whats important is what the above poster said. Micronized zinc oxide. THe higher the percentage, the better.

No other forms of exfoliation while on Retin-A. A moisturizer can be used in the am and pm, but it should have no active ingredients (AHA's, retinol). I can also make some great recommendations if you'd like. So many Dr.s write scrips for RA with no explicit home care instructions. Also, expect to peel/flake and get red as your skin adapts. This could last for a few weeks or longer. Also, if you're acne prone, your acne may get worse before it gets better. If you have any questions I'd be glad to help.

I'm currently on the same regimen and I use an Aveeno facial cleanser for my cleanser and it has salyclic acid I think. Is this bad?

If you have to use a moisturizer, wait at least a half hour to an hour after applying RA. Preferably you won't use one at night, just in the am before your sunscreen, if you're using a physical suncreen. Apply it after your suncreen if you're using a chemical sunscreen. I recommend a physical suncreen (zinc/titanium dioxide which is much less irritating than avobenzone). I recommend Elta M.D. SPF 45 or Dermalogica Super Sensitive SPF 30.

Retin-A won't do anything for cysts but is very helpful for mild to moderate acne.

im on it and your suppose to dab it on the four points of your face and rub it in, it doesn't work on spots. Also try to wait at least 30 minutes after you wash your face and put on retin a. This will avoid the dryness. Ive been on it for almost 3 months and its done little to help. Hopefully, it will work on you.

how certain are you about that last part? cuz i was prescribed retin a to help with my cysts

If you go to the Retin A website they tell you not to use BP with RAM because it cancels each other out. Only if you use them at the same time. Hope this helps!