Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ballistics

Only given four months

Hey guys,

apparently the NHS (uk) dermatologists only perscribe a maximum of four months, they don't take the cume dose or anything else into consideration. I'm in my last month now and am still breaking out, most of my face is covered in red marks now but I do still have a few actives, do you think it's possible i will still clear before the end? I'm more concerned about the active acne than the red marks as i know they take a while to heal anyway

any support is appreciated, if accutane doesn't work i don't know what i'll do :cry:

I'm on 4 months as well....

Went to the derm a week ago and he said that I should see major improvement at 2 months. I've already gone by 1, so I guess this is it. Can Accutane work in the clutch? :think: I guess this is it, eh?

Don't sweat it tho I hear people keep breaking out until the last minute [or even post Accutane] and then POOF! it's all gone. Hang in there, that's all we can do....

Great post above,... but what I find interesting is ..how do they work out the dosage over there? I assume they would put you on the upper end of the dosage given they only used 4 months? I mean you cant give someone 20 mg or 40mg (if they weighed eg. 80kg) for 4 months?

they still work it out through the 0.5mg/kg, 1mg/kg and 2mg/kg system depending on how bad it is (or whatever it is hehe i cant remember exactly)

im on four months too, but started on 40mg and have been bumped up to 60mg after 2 months

im in the uk also. i was given 4 months at 60mg. just finished month 1 and still breeaking the odd one out. but i fiond they come and go very quickly.i have very mild acne

i was on four months but i am on an extra 2 now at a lesser dose. sometimes they will extend your course if they think its necessary.

i was on four months but i am on an extra 2 now at a lesser dose. sometimes they will extend your course if they think its necessary.

That's odd. I just started accutane on the NHS, and my derm said that the course should last for 6 months. Perhaps it depends on the area you live in (like how some cancer drugs are available on the NHS in some areas but not others)? Or maybe the kind of acne you have? I've had it for 10 years now and have tried so many medications, the derm was like "it's been too long...I am going to make you better!!!" lol.

4-6 months is the typical range, but there are obviously a ton of factors that affect how long you stay on it: weight, severity of acne, dosage, etc.

I'd just like to clarify...

when I said "the course should last 6 months", I didn't mean he meant that everyone's should. That's how long he said I will probably be on it for. As the previous post said, I'm sure there are a lot of factors that affect each person's length of treatment.

im starting on nhs soon,i was told 5 months,lol

i suffer mild/moderate acne and putting me on 40mg a day then going upto 60mg eventually