Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

:dance:

I never had problem skin in my teens but for some reason when I turned 24 almost overnight the skin on my face exploded. I developed painful nodules and cysts all over (usually at least 9 at any one time). I had no pimples that went along with them - I didn't even have greasy skin - just massive welters on my cheeks, chin, forehead and sides of my nose. I looked awful and spent many a night crying into my pillow (awwww). :boohoo: I had no idea why it suddenly happened to me but have since been told that my father (who I never knew) had bad adult acne so I guess maybe that's why. I'd never really considered before how acne made people feel but now that I've had it I have huge respect for everybody who battles on through life with this condition. It took every bit of courage I had to get up and go to work every day. I lurked on these boards at the time and it was comforting in a way to know I wasn't alone in the world (although as an adult it sometimes felt like it).

Anyway - soon after it appeared and it was clear it wasn't going to go away I went to see my GP. He referred me to a dermatologist that day but unfortunately I had a 6 month wait until my appointment. But at least as I live in the UK it was all for free eh? When my appointment at the derm finally arrived he was the one who suggested accutane to me - up until that point I had been scared by all the horror stories and wasn't sure if I wanted to try it. But he was convinced of its success and recommended it entirely without hesitation. (His people skills weren't great though - he brought in a bunch of med students to study my skin and talked about the horrible scarring the acne was causing as though I wasn't even there!!)

He put me on 60mg a day for 5 months. It started to work in just one month. No new spots appeared and my skin got quite dry. However, using a rich moisturiser (I used Dr. Haushka rose day cream) really helped with this. My lips got really dry too (nothing helps this!). Occassionally my knee joints would hurt. But that was it! No hair falling out or nose bleeds or any other dramatic side effects at all. By the end of 5 months my skin was crystal clear, though unfortunately I have been left with some scarring to remember it all by.

It's been a year and a half since I came off accutane and I am still clear. I get pimples sometimes but they go quite quickly and nothing like the spots I had. I would never even hesitate to go on a course of accutane again if the acne came back.

Good luck if you are going on it. I wish that everybody could have the same success. Acne is an absolutely miserable condition that nobody deserves to go through. I nearly didn't go on accutane because of the bad stories I heard. I'm so glad I did.

:dance:

I never had problem skin in my teens but for some reason when I turned 24 almost overnight the skin on my face exploded. I developed painful nodules and cysts all over (usually at least 9 at any one time). I had no pimples that went along with them - I didn't even have greasy skin - just massive welters on my cheeks, chin, forehead and sides of my nose. I looked awful and spent many a night crying into my pillow (awwww). :boohoo: I had no idea why it suddenly happened to me but have since been told that my father (who I never knew) had bad adult acne so I guess maybe that's why. I'd never really considered before how acne made people feel but now that I've had it I have huge respect for everybody who battles on through life with this condition. It took every bit of courage I had to get up and go to work every day. I lurked on these boards at the time and it was comforting in a way to know I wasn't alone in the world (although as an adult it sometimes felt like it).

Anyway - soon after it appeared and it was clear it wasn't going to go away I went to see my GP. He referred me to a dermatologist that day but unfortunately I had a 6 month wait until my appointment. But at least as I live in the UK it was all for free eh? When my appointment at the derm finally arrived he was the one who suggested accutane to me - up until that point I had been scared by all the horror stories and wasn't sure if I wanted to try it. But he was convinced of its success and recommended it entirely without hesitation. (His people skills weren't great though - he brought in a bunch of med students to study my skin and talked about the horrible scarring the acne was causing as though I wasn't even there!!)

He put me on 60mg a day for 5 months. It started to work in just one month. No new spots appeared and my skin got quite dry. However, using a rich moisturiser (I used Dr. Haushka rose day cream) really helped with this. My lips got really dry too (nothing helps this!). Occassionally my knee joints would hurt. But that was it! No hair falling out or nose bleeds or any other dramatic side effects at all. By the end of 5 months my skin was crystal clear, though unfortunately I have been left with some scarring to remember it all by.

It's been a year and a half since I came off accutane and I am still clear. I get pimples sometimes but they go quite quickly and nothing like the spots I had. I would never even hesitate to go on a course of accutane again if the acne came back.

Good luck if you are going on it. I wish that everybody could have the same success. Acne is an absolutely miserable condition that nobody deserves to go through. I nearly didn't go on accutane because of the bad stories I heard. I'm so glad I did.

Hi....wow it started to work in just a month. That is great to hear. I will be starting accutane next week. What about the initial breakout phase? How was that? I hear so much about that and I am very worried.

yayyy!!!! :surprised:

Thanks for your success story i have just started my course go wih me luck:D your from the uk i read was the name of the brand of Roaccutane Rocha??? hope so:D

lucky you heyy:D

xx