Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nosroma

How can I make my skin look better now that it's mostly clear? (I really need help!)

Hi everyone -

I wasn't sure where to post this topic, but you guys always have such great advice on the makeup board, I was wondering if you could help me out.

My skin is mostly clear now - but it looks BAD. It's dull, uneven and splotchy and I have what look like clogged pores (or my pores are just really huge) in patches over my face (mostly forehead, chin and nose). It almost looks like some funky rash, but I know it's not (it's little tiny dots which makes me think it's pores). I'm super pale so all this stuff is exemplified on my face and it looks gross (well, it grosses me out at least).

I can hide all of this really well under makeup - but I really want healthy glowing skin. I use Neutrogena foaming (no-soap) scrub in the morning, and the no-soap gentle cleanser at night to take my makeup off. So I'm exfoliating daily, but my skin still looks crappy. I tried using the alcohol-free Neutrogena toner (all of the stuff I use is the kind in the blue bottles) - but that did diddly squat for my skin. I just don't want to pay a small fortune for peels (which I'm afraid of) at the spa...or are peels the best way to go?

How do I make my skin look good without makeup - now that it's mostly clear? Does anyone have any suggestions? Products they can recommend? Does anything out there actually shrink pores? I was thinking about buying the Biore line, but heard mixed things about it... I'm also allergic to almost everything (Clinique, Estee Lauder, for example) but always willing to try something!

Please help :)

Use of a 10% glycolic acid product every two to three days would likely help you a lot. There are many different glycolic products out there. My personal favorite is Avon's Anew Clinical Advanced Retexturizing Peel. Avon??? You say...yes, I was skeptical, too. :) But it's the only product I'd never give up now.

Here are more glycolic acid product recommendations

Hi everyone -

I wasn't sure where to post this topic, but you guys always have such great advice on the makeup board, I was wondering if you could help me out.

My skin is mostly clear now - but it looks BAD. It's dull, uneven and splotchy and I have what look like clogged pores (or my pores are just really huge) in patches over my face (mostly forehead, chin and nose). It almost looks like some funky rash, but I know it's not (it's little tiny dots which makes me think it's pores). I'm super pale so all this stuff is exemplified on my face and it looks gross (well, it grosses me out at least).

How do I make my skin look good without makeup - now that it's mostly clear? Does anyone have any suggestions? Products they can recommend? Does anything out there actually shrink pores? I was thinking about buying the Biore line, but heard mixed things about it... I'm also allergic to almost everything (Clinique, Estee Lauder, for example) but always willing to try something!

Please help :)

Do you take any supplements? Fish or flax seed oil makes your skin soft. As does zinc, vitamin C, etc. You can see my supplements in my sig, but I take them all, so can't make any testimonials about any one.

Also, have you tried aloe vera gel? It's great for irritated skin. I have rosecea and my skin isn't even red anymore between the diet, supplements, aloe and mineral makeup.

Wynne - my esthetician recommended glycolic acid products to me awhile back (when I wasn't as overworked and could get facials!) but I'm afraid of what they would do to my super-sensitive skin. She said the fruit acids can cause some reddening/rashes in some folks. Have you ever had a bad reaction to them?

alternativista - nope, I don't take any supplements. I have a digestive disorder and some that I've tried really threw a wrench into my inner workings... My doctor said if I eat a balanced diet, I shouldn't need supplements - and I do - but I've heard great things about the benefits of fish oil, so I may try that soon and see if my body will tolerate it. I don't think I could use aloe vera on my face, I'm pretty sure it would make me break out. Besides, my skin isn't irritated at all (maybe a little perioral dermatitis here and there sometimes and the occasional large papule by my ear) - it is super soft, and smooth - it's just the tone/color/pores that don't look so great. I feel like the pigment is all wacky (and I have freckles...ick...I'm almost 30, why do I still have these!!) I can even out the color with makeup, but I'd love it to look great and not have to put makeup on to cover the splotchiness - but, I guess, wouldn't we all! :) Someone on another forum mentioned birth control pills making your skin look splotchy, and I've been on them for 12 years or so, so that might be a factor... ANYWAYS - I would LOVE to hear more about your diet and skin care regime - it looks like you have a really good balance (which I'm always struggling to find) - do you have a more detailed explanation of it somewhere?

well the philosophy makeup line has pretty good exfoliating kits...cause right now you just need to exfoliate.ur skin is most likely just congested....maybe a gentle toner would help..clinique has a great gentle toner..go to makeupalley.com they have the best makeup advice there..good luck!

I agree with Wynne's suggestion to try an AHA product.

Maybe a mild AHA moisturizer. Lac-Hydrin Five is 5% lactic acid and should be easier on your sensitive skin. Lactic acid is gentler than glycolic acid.

Try using a few times per week and see how your skin is going to react. Then you can try using it more often if you want to.