Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bear Grylls

Getting Acutane in the UK

Hi,

Ive had acne for years now and i went to the doctors a few years ago and said id grow out of it and gave me some zineryt stuff that didnt work at all. Last year (18) I went and I was given a course of oxytetracycline which again did nothing. Im now finishing a course of Doxycycline and again nothing has helped.

Ive asked for Accutane on all visits and I have been told I cannot get it and id need to go to a dermatologist. My last visit I was told id be referred to a dermatologist although my chances of Accutane (and hopes of clear skin one day) are slim.

Since then, 5 weeks ago on last visit i have not heard from a dermatologist (did he even book me an appointment??)

Basically how severe does you acne need to be for a dermatologist to prescribe Accutane or Roaccutane (whatever we get here) because my acne is far worse than some peoples on this site who have started courses.

If anyone with any experience of getting Accutane on the NHS could respond id appreciate it.

Thanks

You need the doc to refer you to a derm, as you said, doctors cant prescribe it. when my doc referred me, it took a couple of months before they contacted me (and then a couple more months before they could see me) ridiculous isnt it!?

WHEN you do eventually get there, just tell them youve tried ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING and roaccutane is your final chance. i did that lol, i just told the derm my doc had tried everything possible (i had tried almost everything) and nothing worked, so he had no choice but to give me roaccutane.

Yes, you'll have to wait a long time considering the bastarding NHS's infamously long waiting lists. I was lucky in that I managed to find a private derm that was willing to prescribe me the drug (probably because I bitched and moaned so much, haha!) from the get-go. I phoned a few derms up and left messages before I found mu current derm though, and only one of them has phoned me back and that was three fecking weeks ago! I'm already four months in. Ridiculous.

Well relax :D basically in the uk your acne has to be servere to get accutane of the nhs where there is on average a 3 month waiting list for.. or you could go private pay and get itno matter how bad your acne.

I am from Southport near liverpool and am 16 have had acne since i was 13 (now servere) i had 6 difrent types of antibiotics and none worked soo about 6 months ago i got refered to the derm from my doctor after 3 months i had heard nothing so we decided to ask the doctor for the direct number to ring the derm i got an apointment about 4 months after my doctor refered me to the derm i went to see the derm and she said that i needed roaccutane but would have to go to the hospital to see the highest Dermatology consultant in Walton (about 1 hour drive from where i live)

When i seen him approxamitly 6 nearly 7 months after my referal from my doctor he was very nice and explained that before accutane he wanted to get my acne as good as possible therefore he put me on a course of oral antibiotics to cut down the inflamation for 2 months untill i could go on accutane (wheether this is an excuse cos there was a waiting list for accutane tablets i dont no)

So now as of last tuesday 18th i started accutane and the derm has put me on a low dose of 20mg for first month and after that he said either 40mg for 8 months or 60mg for 6 months .

5 days in now read and look at my pics on my log and give me support:)

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...p;#entry2022023

Cheers guys!

I cant wait to see the dermatologist, just the hope of getting Accutane! I dont see why it takes so long, surely there arent *that* many people queuing to see a dermatologist? What are these guys doing with their days?

I guess if he wont give me a prescription ill have to go private. Im going back to Uni in a couple of weeks and I just know ill get told about my appointment at the last minute or ill have to miss something important, getting a train from hundreds of miles away.

If after all this the dermatologist tries to fob me off with the old "they aren't bad enough" expect to see something about a dead doctor in the newspaper.

Is it possible to have a consultation with a private dermatologist who can give you a prescription on the NHS?

all these years taking all this medication my doctor finally realised that he would try me with tane, but i wasnt refered to a derm and to wait for like 3 months. i was told to get my blood taken then go back and i got my prescription there and then and i collected it next day from the chemist, and that was on the nhs so i go it free. so i guess sometimes you dont always have to be refered to a derm.