Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Right....completely nothing to do with the regimen..........

I have been told to use a topical retinoid to help with my scarring. BUT i do not know where to start looking? Do we have Retin A in the UK? Is the ROC collection any good? If so which one helps with scars as they do not have a line for scarring?

Sooooo many questions! I just really don't know where to start. So if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. :pray: I am completely lost and desperate :)

the only question i can answer is the one about retin a..im defiently sure that it is avaliable in the uk on prescription as people have wrote reviews on it from the uk and im sure that my mums friends son used it and it did wonders for his skin...so yeah thats all i can say really

good luck

hey im back :)

yaeh we have Retin A (Tretoin) in a couple of forms in the UK. Theres plain Retin A (ranging from 0.01% to 0.5%, prescription only) and Retin A+Erythromycin called Aknemycin (dermatologist only)

Also theres Tazorac, a more potent retinoid, stronger than Retin A, and more side effects, extreme drying, but once you get through the initial period, you should stay clear. Many people quit Tazorac because they cant handle the initial period.

Then theres Isotrex gel (isotretinoin) also known as "topical accutane" very potent and there is very i know about this except it can "cure" acne topically, without teh side effects of oral accutane. Side effects do include red skin/dryness, much to be expected tho.

then theres the "baby" of the retinoids, Differin (adapalene 0.1% and also a 0.3%), known as a retinoid, but has significantly less side effects that the rest of the topical retinoids. This is my personal favourite, no redness/dryness and keeps acne at bay. A wolf in sheeps colthing imo

Strenth chart of retinoids (weakest at top/strongest at bottom)

- Adapalene (differin)

- Tretinoin (retin a)

- Tazorac (generic)

- Isotretinoin (isotexin)

hey im back :)

Yay! :dance: Welcome Back

Thanks for all the info. You obviously know your stuff. The retinoid is needed mainly for my scarring so someone suggested that i tried a retinoid to help. My acne is all gone! Hope everythings good your end and its good to have you back.

Even though I don't have the international problem, thank you so much for posting about the different strengthens of topical retinoids. I'm going to the derm in less than 2 weeks, and knowing this information will help us make a decision about what sort of meds I need.

Thank you! =)

no worries :)

Unlike BP (its a chemical that attacks the skin, which is why BP is associated with scarring), Retinoids help heal the skin but exfoliating and healing (as they are Vitamin A based)

thats why GP's and derms like to prescribe retinoids now over BP.

when you go to teh derm, dont let s/he dictate to you. Its your skin, and discuss all the options before making a decision. Apart from tazorac and accutane, derms will give you near enough anything that you ask for (within reason), and dont accept any benzoyl peroxide :S

good luck to your regimen and progress, and im glad to be back xmiss_behavex :)

What would you say is better retin A or benzoyl peroxide or azelaic acid? Also isnt isotexin stronger than tazorac. One more thing, what does the 0.01% to 0.5% in retin A mean? Please reply....

Retin a is better in the long term :)

azelaic acid is good aswell, i would try azelaic acid befoe going onto retin a. 0.01% and 0.5% means how much active chemical (tretionoin) is in the Retin A (as they come in different strngths)

so for example, if you get the 0.5% version, that means half of the tube is tretinoin (acne tackling chemical) and the rest is bulking ingrediants and/or stabilisers/vehicles to carry the active ingrediant in :)

so is it best to start with a higher strength with a small amount or would it be equally effective using a small amount with a lower strength? I'm just curious because I'm going to be looking for maintenance treatment after i finish my roaccutane course. You know 'differin' which your on, would you say its equally as effective as Retin-A but less side-effects ect, sorry for so many questions lol this is to stephen by the way? cheers

Na thats no quite how it works.

a higher strength at a smaller ammount isnt the same as a lower strength at a small ammount. Its best to start off low and work your way up (if needed) because it lets your skin adapt to each treatment.

id personally start with differin. its really good and probably the best thing iv had :)

Ah thanks for the info Stephen.

If Retin-A is useful for scarring and also preventing spots from forming, wouldn't it be an overall better product to use compared to BP?

And also, can Differin only be acquired through prescription?

I'm thinking of either using Retin-A, Azelaic or Differin and dropping BP.

Please do advice.

Cheers