Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lulu0321

Accutane Log, Hope this works!!

Hi, I am starting accutane in four days and will be taking it from September 2007-february 2007. I have had acne for almost 9 years and have tried everything under the sun to get rid of it! It started when I was 16 and got progressively worse. My senior year of high school it was horrible. So the docter put me on benzamicin and minocyclin which cleared me up in a matter of months (it was great!). Sadly though, all good things must come to an end. Those medicines cannot be used for long periods of time and after about a year the docter told me I needed to switch to something less harsh (benzamicin was causing slight wrinkles at like age 20!) So here I am 25 years old and ready for something that is going to get my skin in check!! I've cried one too many nights and missed too many social experiences because i hate my skin. I know I'll have scarring forever, but I'm done with those huge cysts and constant pimples. Come on accutane!! Hopefully I can stay this positive throughout treatment.

I'm so nervous about the dry/cracked lips, bad initial breakout and red eyes. But I've seen this stuff help people out ALOT and I'm hoping I'm one of those people. I'd love tips on how to help with some of the side effects incase any former or current accutane users have any suggestions. Thanks to everyone who shared their accutane stories on this website. I've probably read just about EVERYONES. It is really helpful knowing other peoples experiences and getting to see how they are doing (makes you feel like you have a team of people supporting you!). Maybe if I get brave I'll post some pictures while I'm going through treatment.

Have a great day!

:confused:

Well, after waiting the LONG 30 day Ipledge time I am finally on DAY 1 of my accutane treatment. Like I've said before, I'm so so so so done with acne. I HATE IT!! I'm a very happy and unbeat person, but this acne is really taking a toll on my social outings. I'm not nearly as confident as I used to be. I've had acne on and off for 9 years and it ranges from moderate to severe (in my opinion). I get cysts sometimes that swell up whole areas of my face. I'm a 25 year old female who wants to just be happy in my own skin.

So, here I am starting and working towards making a difference in my skin: I'll be taking 40mg the first month of claravis (I think that is how you spell it) which is the generic form of accutane. I am also taking predisone for the first month to help with inflamation.

Day 1: I didn't find pills to be difficult to remove like I heard. Maybe they changed the packaging. You just pull the peel tab off the back and they pop out. Gosh I hope that means everything else will just be easy too (RIGHT!). I literally could not wait to take the first pill and get this thing done and over with! I'm pretty hopeful this is going to work, although I am expecting things to be bad for awhile. Docter put me on predisone until month 2. He said since I'm a bit inflamed already he thinks I will get way worse. So, one day down and 149 to go. Wish me luck!!

Sep 16 2007, 02:09 PM

Day 5 Not much change since yesturday. Although I am noticing that the blackheads on my temple are coming up. I used to read about people talking about blackheads coming to the surface and just popping out. I now know what they mean (but just on my temples). They are more obvious but come out easily. The blackheads on my forehead, nose and chin haven't budged. Oh well, not nearly enough time yet. No dryness at all though, just less oil. Also have been constipated (I know, too much information) but I'm not sure if this is a side effect. I never get constipated and have just started to in the last two days. Hopefully it goes away. Later!

Day 6: Ok first real side effect noticed. Last night I had the worst insomnia. I COULD NOT SLEEP FOR ANYTHING. And of course it had to be on a sunday night when I had to get up for work. I love to sleep, so this was quite annoying! Also, when I did fall mildly asleep for maybe 1 hour I woke up in a really deep sweat (something that has never happened). I checked this morning and insomnia and night sweats are a side effect of both accutane and predisone (which I am on both right now until week 4). Oh well. Other than that things are going well. I think my IB is coming out because I have tons of little bumps popping up everywhere. But it is nothing worse than other breakouts I have had and if this is clearing out my skin than who cares! No cysts atleast and I'll take that! Also, lips are slightly chapped today (but manageable). Wow, only 144 days left...haha. Hopefully I can sleep most of those nights:) Also, I posted before pictures in my gallery.

DAy 7 Well, first week down and that is good atleast. Face is starting to peel a little, nothing bad. I hate to say it but I think this is just the beginning of the initial breakout. I have these nodule zits coming to the surface that are filled (I know, yuck!). I squeezed one and it came right out and left a BIG red mark. They seem to be popping up regularly...uh oh. Just yesturday I was saying no cystic stuff. Also, my face is getting redder and every little bump I squeezed turned into a red mark. So needless to say just looking at my face is a lot worse than it is since yesturday I was BAD and squeezed lots of the little bumps on my face. Already I can tell how sensitive my skin is now. On a positive note, my skin suprisingly feels a bit smoother, although these new nodules are NOT cute! Hopefully this comes and goes relatively quickly. Also, I slept just fine last night so hopeully that was a one time deal. I am however sweating much more than usual still. I'll post another picture at the two week mark because right now I can only say it has gotten worse. But it will be ok, Have a great day!!

Day 9 I'm glad I'm logging here and talking to other people who have either gone through accutane or going through it. If you are to the point where you are using or considering accutane, then your acne is probably effecting your life much more than you would ever want it to. Well, here is an update.

Skin is just getting a little more dry and peeling in places. I have been really bad and been squeezing some bumps that made their way to the surface. This makes my face EXTREMELY red, but I bring it on myself. One of these days I'll just leave my skin alone and let accutane take over! Still breaking out more than usual and with different kind of zits than I usually get. They are much more obvious and not under the skin (like previous ones). Oh well, nothing too terrible though. I did get my first nosebleed today when I woke up, but no big deal. It stopped quickly and I didn't get another one all day. Lips are starting to feel different, but I'm applying so much aquaphor because I'm afraid of cracking. So far no real complaints about side effects (other than break outs). Ohhh, and you just sweat more while on this pill...or atleast I do.

Day 9 I'm glad I'm logging here and talking to other people who have either gone through accutane or going through it. If you are to the point where you are using or considering accutane, then your acne is probably effecting your life much more than you would ever want it to. Well, here is an update.

Skin is just getting a little more dry and peeling in places. I have been really bad and been squeezing some bumps that made their way to the surface. This makes my face EXTREMELY red, but I bring it on myself. One of these days I'll just leave my skin alone and let accutane take over! Still breaking out more than usual and with different kind of zits than I usually get. They are much more obvious and not under the skin (like previous ones). Oh well, nothing too terrible though. I did get my first nosebleed today when I woke up, but no big deal. It stopped quickly and I didn't get another one all day. Lips are starting to feel different, but I'm applying so much aquaphor because I'm afraid of cracking. So far no real complaints about side effects (other than break outs). Ohhh, and you just sweat more while on this pill...or atleast I do.

DAY 10 Well my skin is gradually just looking really blahh. I can't really describe it. I really think all the gook under the skin is being pushed to the surface and it is just really bumpy and rough looking. ALSO there is this really large brown spot on the left side of my nose (near the tip) that is just weird!! It showed up today and is not soar or anything, but it is huge. It looks like a huge zit but doesn't hurt like one. I'm really worried about that!! I've never had anything like that before and I'm hoping maybe it was just rubbed and a little raw or something. Atleast I have the weekend to let it go away. Other than that, no huge side effects. Just waiting to see some clearing! Have a great weekend :cool:

Hi there! Welcome to acne.org! I'm going to move this post to Accutane Logs as you'll get more replies and views there. Good luck with your course!

Hey there lulu,

I just started Accutane 40mg 3 days ago. I'm 26 and a long time sufferer as well. Hopefullyu this stuff works for us.

Hopefully we're on the last leg of this acne treatment road.

DAY 12 Well, I can'tsay I just hate accutane at the moment. Let me describe a little of how it is going. First off, my skin and hair (previous to accutane) was so oily and just grose feeling ALL THE TIME. Right after blowdrying my hair I felt like I needed to wash it again. And my skin, well ALL DAY LONG it felt just slimy. Accutane has completely changed this. My hair stays "clean feeling" all day long and I think I could probably go two days without washing it if I wanted to (something that is NEW to me). My skin is starting to peel, but I put lots of cetaphil face lotion on it and that seems to help out a lot...I even still wear powdered makeup and it looks ok. I'm feeling suprisingly peppy and happy all the time and I contribute this to finally having a little relief from the previous symptoms. So far this medication has only made me more happy, NOT DEPRESSED!

Now, the not so good parts (but not much). The breakouts are still coming and the red marks seem redder than usual. Just by looking at my skin I'd say it probably looks a little worse than when I started accutane. But, I'm only 12 days in and I have lots more to go! I'm really thinking this will do the trick for me!! So far I'm nothing but happy that I've started this program. :angel:

DAY 14 TWO WEEKS IN!!!! Well, so far so good. I'm loving accutane actually! I know it sounds strange, but I love how clean my face and hair feels. I can go days without having to wash my hair and my face doesn't get oily all day! I'm still breaking out, but mentally I know it is clearing my skin out and that is ok with me. Breakouts aren't as bad now, just a few here and there. NOthing cystic. Still have lots of red marks, but they are suprisingly healing up a bit (i put neosporin on them). Lips feel fine and skin is dry only if I don't apply moisturizer. So far, accutane is my best friend!! Hopefully this doesn't end. I want to see some major clearing soon!!

DAY 16 Well, breakout still going (although not as bad as last week). I still get several white heads a day, but nothing cystic right now. Eyes are starting to get real dry and red. Lips get dry if I don't constantly put on lip stuff. But, I constantly apply aquaphor and they are fine. So far so good. I can tell the skin inbetween breakouts is smoother and my pores already look smaller (I think). I'll post new pictures in a few days. I think it will help me to take pictures so I can see if there is a difference. So far I'm still loving accutane! Hair and skin just feel clean all day!! :lol:

Hi Lulu,

I too, was very hesitant to post photos of my disgusting skin on the internet for the whole world to see. But then I realized how thankful I was that everyone else on this site had done it. If it weren't for their bravery, I don't think I would have made the choice to start Accutane. It was only after seeing what amazing progress everyone else had made that I decided the risk would be worth it. So don't be afraid, you are among people who understand exactly what you are going through.

Plus, having photos really helps you clearly see the progress you are making.

Good luck with your course!

DAY 18 Well I posted some more pictures today in my album. I do see somewhat of an improvement. My skin and hair also feels so much cleaner than before I started. I cannot get over how much I don't have to blot my face (with oil absorbers) all day to maintain the oil. I barely have to even wash my face now. I'm LOVING IT! I still get whiteheads popping up all throught the day, but they seem to be less and less as time goes on. Hopefully this will eventually stop and the healing can begin. Nothing really cystic right now. So far I'd say if you are thinking about going on this medication, DO IT!! It has already made me more confident.

I was also wondering, does anyone know a good safe time to wait before trying to get pregnant once you get off this medication?? My docter says it is out of your system after 1 month of stopping, but I'm not taking any risks. We were going to wait atleast 6 months before trying. If anyone has gotten pregnant after this drug or knows someone who has, I WOULD LOVE A RESPONSE! I just want to ensure a healthy pregnancy when we are ready.

DAY 20 Well tomorrow is the three week mark and I'm still breaking out :( Today my skin seems to be pushing more stuff up to the surface and my skin looked more rough today that usual. Suprisingly my skin is not dry at all. I almost kind of wish it was dry. I put moisturizer on every morning and night and that seems to be keeping it moist enough. I just want the breakouts to stop already. This is my last week on predisone and I'm down to one tablet a day (you start off on four tablets a day and each week you do one less). I am really nervous about increasing my dosage and having no predisone. I have a feeling month two might be my worst month because there is still lots of bumps under my skin that I'm sure will surface. Oh well. Hopefully my bloodwork will atleast be ok to continue into month two. I want to stay on accutane for the full treatment. Well, that is it for now. No real side effects to speak of. Just ready to see some real progress.

Hi! Good luck with your treatment..... hmm about the pregnancy, I can't speak from personal experience lol, but I know after 6 months, the Accutane is definitely out of your system. So a pregnancy would probably be fine then. Search it around some of the message boards and you can probably find more about it.

You're almost a month in! Good luck

DAY 21 THREE WEEKS IN!!!! Well, something fun happened today. At work a lady (who I see everyday) told me that my skin looked more radiant today. She said, you just look more glowing or something. No one has ever said that about my skin. I realize she meant compared to how it usually looks, but who cares she still used the word radiant about MY skin. That just makes me feel like the accutane is doing something. And today my lips weren't dry at all. I barely applied anything to them because I just kept forgetting. No new breakouts today (which is good!) and NO oil. I honestly think my pores are already smaller. I realize I'm still barely into the treatment, but I'm still so happy about how it is going. Thanks for everyone who has commented. I write in here but wonder if anyone reads it.

DAY 22 Ok so i'm getting some side effects that are worrying me a little. Has anyone experienced being really soar around your abdominal area (like it is soar just to touch it). At first it was just one side (near my hip) and now it across my whole abdominal area. I have my one month appointment with my docter next week and hopefully he will just say it is fine. I can handle the pain of it, just worried it is my kidneys or something. My bloodwork is in two days and I think they check your kidneys with the bloodwork too. I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE TO GO OFF OF ACCUTANE!! I have loved it so far and I really think it is helping (slowly, but something). If anyone else has had pains like these, let me know what your docter said about them and if/when they went away for you. THANKS!!! Otherwise, everything is going great. Only got one whitehead today, so they are slowing down finally.

Hey lulu! I read your log and saw what you were saying recently about your abdominal pain. I don't mean to scare you at all, but I will share something from my information packet from my derm so you can decide whether or not it pertains to your discomfort.

Abdominal Discomfort. There are rare patients who can develop inflammation of the colon and small intestine while on Accutane. This is characterized by abdominal discomfort, distention, increased bowel gas, pain, diarrhea, and potentially even bloody stools. If you develop these symptoms, please notify [your Dr.] immediately. If these symptoms do develop, Accutane must be discontinued.

Hey lulu! I read your log and saw what you were saying recently about your abdominal pain. I don't mean to scare you at all, but I will share something from my information packet from my derm so you can decide whether or not it pertains to your discomfort.

Abdominal Discomfort. There are rare patients who can develop inflammation of the colon and small intestine while on Accutane. This is characterized by abdominal discomfort, distention, increased bowel gas, pain, diarrhea, and potentially even bloody stools. If you develop these symptoms, please notify [your Dr.] immediately. If these symptoms do develop, Accutane must be discontinued.

I know that it is a lot to take in, but it's information that has hopefully been given to you already. If not at least you can identify whether or not what your feeling are any of those things. I hope you are feeling better, and that your discomfort/pain goes away. Good luck!

DAY 25 Well, things skin wise are going pretty good. I do have one cystic (under skin) on my chin and one above my eyebrow. I only have a few more days on predisone and this medicine helps these cystic type breakouts be way less inflamed than usual. The under the skin bumps I have all over my cheeks are slowly becoming less and less. I still have lots of red marks, but they are slowly fading just a little. My lips still feel fine and my skin is getting a little more dry (but I moisturize a lot).

As far as the stomach pains go, they are much better today. I am still going to discuss it at my docters appointment next week. Still loving accutane as of now! One of my friends was on accutane about three years ago and she said her skin got extremely dry around the 1 1/2 month mark. She said it got drastically more dry almost overnight. So, I'm not expecting everything to be just peaches from here on out. That same friend also developed irritable bowl syndrome due to accutane. SCARY (especially in light of these new stomach pains). Oh well, I knew that was a risk going into this treatment. I keep praying my body can handle this medicine and I can continue. We will see on Thursday. Have a good weekend!!

DAY 27 HAPPY COLUMBUS DAY!! I only know it is columbus day because I am off of work...hehe.

Still breaking out on jawline and cheeks (so just ready for that to stop!). On a good note, stomach has felt perfect for the past two days. No other bad side effects AT ALL. I'm hoping to up dosage to 60mg if the docter lets me (and stomach soarness stays away).

I'll be posting pictures next weekend at around day 35.

Day 29 Well tomorrow is one month and my face looks pretty bad right now. I continue to break out and today for example I had seven whiteheads pop up with at work! It is just so frustrating. I also have several cystic things right now. I'm done with predisone now and I have a feeling this next month will be painful. This months breakouts just didn't hurt at all thanks to predisone. I know people say just wait it out, it will work. But right now it just feels like it is making my skin worse and worse. The red marks are EVERYWHERE!! So without makeup on my face looks really bad. My one month appointment is tomorrow and I'm going to ask the docter to bump me up to 60mg. I assume I'll breakout more when bumping up, but I'd rather just get it over with before the holidays.

Today I'm not as positive as usual (mostly due to my skin). I'm just ready to not have to think about acne anymore. I have to keep reminding myself that this should do the trick, only I have to wait a few more months!

Hey lulu,

Hang in there. I can relate with the whiteheads appearing out of nowhere, like I wakeup and my face is doing good, healing, and by lunch I have 4 medium size whiteheads in various places, it's insane.

I'm on day 22 and my skin looks way worse than before starting Accutane, but most people's completed logs seem to tell the same story, first 3 months make my skin look horrible, months 4,5,6 wow what a difference.

Just keep your head together and push forward, you'll get that clear skin you deserve.

Yes. Hang in there Lulu. I too, had the "day-time" breakouts! By the time i'd get home from work, i'd have 4-5 new whiteheads on my cheeks and 1-2 knots forming on my jawline. It's all part of the process I guess. I just finished month 2. Now it's only 1-2 whiteheads a WEEK. And NO cysts! =) I would have to say I had a pretty rough first few months but I kept myself busy. Stopped looking in mirrors. And kept my eye on the prize. Keep your head up!! You're doing great! =)

DAY 30 Well ONE MONTH down and four more to go!! BREAKOUTS BREAKOUTS BREAKOUTS. My skin looks by far the worst that it has since I've been on accutane. It seems like everyday new cysts form and my face looks all bumpy and rough.

THANK YOU TO THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE WRITTEN SUPPORTIVE THINGS HERE. IT IS REALLY NICE NOT FEELING ALONE THROUGH ALL THIS AND HEARING ABOUT PEOPLE SEEING RESULTS!

I had my one month appointment with my docter today and he said all my bloodwork looks great and that the abdominal pains I was having was probably just soarness since it has completely passed and was not accompanied by bathroom issues (constipation, bloody stools, etc.)...and my whole body has just been soar. He increased my dosage to 80mg since I weigh 129 pounds and I'll be taking one pill in the morning and one at night now. I am glad I'm increasing the dosage because I want to get rid of this madness!! Seriously acne is something I think about constantly. I just want it to be over with already. Other than the increased breakouts I haven't had any other side effects except for soarness (achy back, legs, etc) but it is totally manageable. My skin is not oily anymore and I need to atleast appreciate that. Oddly enough my skin is also not that dry and my lips are fine. The docter said I will see dryness with 80mg as well as the dreaded lip cracking. I have to keep reminding myself that I can do this!

Has anyone had increased breakouts when increasing dosage??? I'm doubling my dosage and sort of nervous about even more breakouts.