Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi guys! Here's my situation:

I am almost 20-years-old, and I am still getting breakouts quite frequently. My skin is about 50-50; I go a week with good skin, and then a week with poor skin. My acne is never bad, but mild break-outs are still annoying.

Since I was 16, I have been experimenting with various medications. I have always stayed with them long enough to see if they work (usually a couple months), but I never found anything that perfectly suites me. After a few years, I settled on Johnson & Johnson Persa-Gel, because that worked out better than anything else I tried.

For most of the past few years, I used Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser. I was always under the impression that I had sensitive skin. Recently, I have finally noticed that after cleansing, medication, and moisturizer, I still get a shiny face every few hours, and have to use a tissue to dab the excess whatever it is off (I assume oil). So about a month ago, I started Purpose cleanser for oily skin, along with medication and moisturizer. But it hasn't changed much. It's also a little drying, but my skin's oil seems to correct that as the day goes on.

A few months ago, I decided to go to medication only at nights. Oddly enough, it didn't change a thing. Apparently, I had wasted many morning minutes all that time for nothing. I tried a while later to go no medication at all, but after 2 days I got a bunch of little bumps on my cheeks and decided it wasn't worth it.

I do pop pimples that come to a head, but I make sure to do so with a sterilized needle. I usually apply some medication afterward.

I make sure to take my vitamins, including fish oil and zinc. I have gone from electric shaver to razor, and that didn't change much. I eat mostly healthy and exercise daily, but I still get it. I live in moist, rainy climate, but when I visit dry climates my acne goes away completely. I rarely get any deep zits, but I get a lot of surface pimples. I'm religious in following my regimen (which is much like Dan's). I will try normal things, but I won't do anything too weird that requires too much work. If it's a cream I can get a Rite Aid, okay, but I'm not gonna smear pig shit on my face or anything.

I'm posting this because I'm in the middle of a break-out right now, and I'm sick of this. It's been about 5 years, and it just won't go away. Maybe it's more common than I perceive it to be, but none of my friends really have any acne (except for one that has it BAD), and I never seem to notice it on others. I'm sick of its affect on my self-esteem, but I'm mostly sick of all time and money spent on creams and lotions and medications.

Any ideas for a frustrated lad?

Hi guys! Here's my situation:

I am almost 20-years-old, and I am still getting breakouts quite frequently. My skin is about 50-50; I go a week with good skin, and then a week with poor skin. My acne is never bad, but mild break-outs are still annoying.

Since I was 16, I have been experimenting with various medications. I have always stayed with them long enough to see if they work (usually a couple months), but I never found anything that perfectly suites me. After a few years, I settled on Johnson & Johnson Persa-Gel, because that worked out better than anything else I tried.

For most of the past few years, I used Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser. I was always under the impression that I had sensitive skin. Recently, I have finally noticed that after cleansing, medication, and moisturizer, I still get a shiny face every few hours, and have to use a tissue to dab the excess whatever it is off (I assume oil). So about a month ago, I started Purpose cleanser for oily skin, along with medication and moisturizer. But it hasn't changed much. It's also a little drying, but my skin's oil seems to correct that as the day goes on.

A few months ago, I decided to go to medication only at nights. Oddly enough, it didn't change a thing. Apparently, I had wasted many morning minutes all that time for nothing. I tried a while later to go no medication at all, but after 2 days I got a bunch of little bumps on my cheeks and decided it wasn't worth it.

I do pop pimples that come to a head, but I make sure to do so with a sterilized needle. I usually apply some medication afterward.

I make sure to take my vitamins, including fish oil and zinc. I have gone from electric shaver to razor, and that didn't change much. I eat mostly healthy and exercise daily, but I still get it. I live in moist, rainy climate, but when I visit dry climates my acne goes away completely. I rarely get any deep zits, but I get a lot of surface pimples. I'm religious in following my regimen (which is much like Dan's). I will try normal things, but I won't do anything too weird that requires too much work. If it's a cream I can get a Rite Aid, okay, but I'm not gonna smear pig shit on my face or anything.

I'm posting this because I'm in the middle of a break-out right now, and I'm sick of this. It's been about 5 years, and it just won't go away. Maybe it's more common than I perceive it to be, but none of my friends really have any acne (except for one that has it BAD), and I never seem to notice it on others. I'm sick of its affect on my self-esteem, but I'm mostly sick of all time and money spent on creams and lotions and medications.

Any ideas for a frustrated lad?

Hey man, i'm in the same boat as you are it seems, with the climate etc.

try taking a supplement, really. You can get them at rite aid, walgreens, anywhere. I would suggest getting a b complex vitamin and a multi vitamin with NO IODINE. These all can be found at a very low price and should help with the little ones that keep coming back every other week.

Hi there! It sounds like you're very frustrated, both of you, and that you've tried many over the counter remedies with varying degrees of success. Perhaps it is time for both of you to enlist the assistance of a professional.

Go to a dermatologist if you can. There are so many treatment options out there and your derm can examine your skin and determine the best plan of care for your own personal needs.

Hi there! It sounds like you're very frustrated, both of you, and that you've tried many over the counter remedies with varying degrees of success. Perhaps it is time for both of you to enlist the assistance of a professional.

Go to a dermatologist if you can. There are so many treatment options out there and your derm can examine your skin and determine the best plan of care for your own personal needs.

Been there, done that. Frankly, it didn't help much.