Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dingdingding

should i wait?

i have an apptment with my dermatologist tomorrow and we're both thinking about starting accutane treatment for me. But I was thinking maybe I should wait til warmer weather comes back around again. A six month treatment starting now would mean I'd have to deal with the accutane dryness in the winter, when my skin has always been very dry n sensitive in those winter months to begin with. But I dont know if I wanna wait til next yr to do this, I'm breaking out badly right now. So how bad is the dryness really? Those of you who took it thru the cold months, how often did you guys have to moisturize?

cold weather accutane sucks but you'll be through the worst parts of dryness by the time it gets cold if you start now. it's worth it!

Actually, it would be ideal to start it at the start of winter as you are supposed to limit sun exposure while on accutane.

I found the sun exposure worse than the dryness. Your skin really does burn when your in the sun. Your better off doing it now, getting it over and done with, and having great face come summer next year.

I'd say don't wait. I'm only 10 days into accutane and I just moisturize a lot. So far my face is just peeling slightly, and although I know it will get more dry, I'd rather do it when the sunshine is also not as much of an issue. I wouldn't wait cause I've seen this stuff REALLY work on people! So far it isn't bad AT ALL.

yes dryness does increase later in the course... the 1st month is easy...

depends on your dose... 20-40mg... would not be too bad in the winter...

i went from 80mg to 90mg... i was having major problems with dryness last week...rash...

personally now i cant stand tane in the winter... my arms just get to red and rashy... regardless how much moisturizer i use...

things u might have to deal with nose bleeds due to dryness...

cold and flu really suck on tane...

i guess if your acne is really bad and is affecting day to day life... you might take it...

if its not...just wait till april or may... then start...

There's pros and cons to both summer and winter and the truth is...both are going to suck. But I would do it in the winter anyways if I had to decide. Moisturize and have those small sample ones they give at the derm. in your bag at all times in case you get dry again. And always have lip balm.

On the nose bleeds....I was at a high dosage and was really dry but I never got a single nosebleed. Just when in the shower and the stuff in your nose warms and drivels, just blow it all out.

There's pros and cons to both summer and winter and the truth is...both are going to suck. But I would do it in the winter anyways if I had to decide. Moisturize and have those small sample ones they give at the derm. in your bag at all times in case you get dry again. And always have lip balm.

On the nose bleeds....I was at a high dosage and was really dry but I never got a single nosebleed. Just when in the shower and the stuff in your nose warms and drivels, just blow it all out.

The dryness really hasn't been that big of an issue for me. I just take chapstick with me to school and use Aquaphor morning and night for my lips. I moisturize my face if it's looking flakey.