Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cubsin2100

Accutane, Depression and Mice...

I searched and was its been brought up, but I figured id bring it back around...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?d...l=pubmed_docsum

So basically, this study gave a treatment group of mice accutane, or the same derivative, and saw they exhibited more signs of depression. One of the key aspects was a stress test, in which they put the mice in a pool of water. Those mice which are depressed tend to be less moble, don't try and get out, etc... And they found those who had been give the vitamin A deriviate exhbited this sedentary depression state...

Whaddya think?

the study is flawed, of course the mice weren't as active, accutane can make you exhausted and cause joint pain.

the best way to do a study on depression and accutane is to study it in human patients.

the study is flawed, of course the mice weren't as active, accutane can make you exhausted and cause joint pain.

the best way to do a study on depression and accutane is to study it in human patients.

In both the forced swim test and the tail suspension test, we found that 13-cis-RA-treated mice spent significantly more time immobile compared to vehicle-treated controls. In the open field test, there was no change in anxiety-related behavior in 13-cis-RA-treated mice. Furthermore, chronic administration of 13-cis-RA did not impair locomotion in either the open field or the rotarod test. Taken together, these results suggest that administration of 13-cis-RA increases depression-related behaviors in mice.

A) They did another test, a tail suspension test... which showed the same results. Also, they saw no change in mobility on a rotarod test (those wheels mice run in...)... which would imply joint pain wasn't the issue.

Just bringing it up... not trying to scare people, Im deciding if I want to go on again or not... just found it.

I searched and was its been brought up, but I figured id bring it back around...

So basically, this study gave a treatment group of mice accutane, or the same derivative, and saw they exhibited more signs of depression. One of the key aspects was a stress test, in which they put the mice in a pool of water. Those mice which are depressed tend to be less moble, don't try and get out, etc... And they found those who had been give the vitamin A deriviate exhbited this sedentary depression state...

Whaddya think?

Possible but not 100% certain.

This link says it doesn't cause depression. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?D...Pubmed_RVDocSum

CONCLUSION: Isotretinoin does not appear to be associated with the development of depression. Thus, denying patients with significant acne an effective medication for fear of developing depression may not be indicated at this point in time.

Whaddya think?

Possible but not 100% certain.

This link says it doesn't cause depression. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?D...Pubmed_RVDocSum

CONCLUSION: Isotretinoin does not appear to be associated with the development of depression. Thus, denying patients with significant acne an effective medication for fear of developing depression may not be indicated at this point in time.

Hmmm, that makes me feel better... but I have also seen studies linking accutane with inhibiting brain function/ development... plus that study only has two groups of 100 peeps in it.

are you already on a course?

were you depressed during the that course?

you prob will have the same side effects as the previous course...

I know this sounds weird and really sort of funny; but I definitely got a little dumber after I was on Accutane.

Im being totally serious.

Yah... my million dollar question is: Did the depression in the mice go away after the treatment... but I doubt anyone knows that answer to that.

the only real way to measure depression would be to measure their neurotransmitter levels... by cutting their dead brains open. does the study talk about that? if not, i wouldn't give it much credibility. but to answer your question, there probably isn't any information on that because a) mice have a short lifespan and b) like i said, if it were reliable they'd probably be killing them and dissecting them for info anyway, so wouldn't have that information.

I think that's a very vague study, as Jordan19 pointed out the study should be done using human subjects.

Yah... well many studies are done on mice, due to their ease of doing studies on them, and often ethical reasons. In this particular study, mice prove to be good subjects because they don't have the same confounding variables as humans, ie, they don't actually have acne. In humans, well, is it the acne causing the depression, or the accutane? We can't know... in mice, it shows its the accutane.

And while many people discredit studies done on mice, you'd be suprised just how similar our genomes actually are... figures put it betwen 90-95% analogous

we're closer to hamsters. and primates, of course. but regardless, the validity of animal studies in general isn't the issue (as they are of vital importance to medical research), it's of this particular study and its methods, which don't appear (to me) to have the best design to draw the conclusion they did. and even if it does, a mouse is not a person and even though our genomes are close there are still three million base pairs we're dealing with... and drugs do not affect humans and animals similarly in all cases... the point is to produce a model to screen for broader unforseen effects (carcinogenicity, teratogenicity, etc). the LD50 (lethal dose) is higher in rodents by factors of 10 or 100 or more than it is in humans (and vice versa) for many many compounds.

So... since I can't seem to find if the effects of depression reverted after the mice were no longer given the accutane, I'm gonna email the people who did the study. Creepy... sure, but what are you gonna do.

So... since I can't seem to find if the effects of depression reverted after the mice were no longer given the accutane, I'm gonna email the people who did the study. Creepy... sure, but what are you gonna do.

Thanx! ...please post the reply if you receive one... not creepy at all..Ive done it before and received a very thorough response once.

thanks for the info i'll take this into consideration when feeding it to my mice!

but seriously, correlation does not imply causation

personally however, I've been much more happy since i started accutane, and i was depressed as shit when i had terrible acne. i was pretty unhappy when i first broke out from the accutane but since then it's been good and i love the stuff. I'm sure a lot of these studies to not take into consideration the initial break out which kinda crushes your soul a little bit when you're looking forward to a miracle drug to work overnight (even though you are warned you still get your hopes up).

So I got a response, but it was a bit convulted. I sent an email back trying to get a clarification, Ill let you know whats up (as if you are all on the edge your seats! Ha...)

But this is actually clutch fo rme, it will decide if I go on tane or not...

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Got a response back... the people who did the study said they did not determine whether the mice recovered or not... said someone is currently working on it (said may know in January?)

Rats (pun intended)