Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deadbeat007

Clindamycin and redness?

Hi, guys!

I'm a seventeen-year-old girl and suffer from mild, inflamed acne. The past six or seven weeks, I've had non-stop acne, and it's worse than it's ever been, with about three or four on my forehead right now, three white heads and a pauple on my cheek, and a smooth, almost healed one on my chin. It looks much worse, though, because of all the red marks I have. My skin is also rather red after using so many different products - I'm guessing it'll be another week before the redness and dryness goes down. =[

My doctor gave me some Clindamycin today (Cleocin T 1%) to apply morning and night, though I'm only going to start with nights and work my way up to twice a day. The thing that bugs me the most right now is the redness of my skin. My question is, will Clindamycin make my skin any redder, or hinder the redness from fading, if I only apply a thin layer at night? Also, will it dry my skin out? Another question - does it do anything for red marks?

I noticed that the pores around my nose are much more noticeable when my skin is dry, so that's another reason I'd like to avoid dry, red skin, even if it gets rid of zits. For me, the dryness and redness is even worse.

So many questions! Any info would be greatly appreciated. ;]

Thanks guys, and God bless,

- Lauren

Ok chica, here's what I can say.

I used it in gel form for a 3 month period.

I never had any adverse reaction from it. I didn't make my skin dry or RED at all. The product worked quite well too. I washed my face with a Basis bar and then applied it liberally morning and night.

Feel free to ask more.

Ok chica, here's what I can say.

I used it in gel form for a 3 month period.

I never had any adverse reaction from it. I didn't make my skin dry or RED at all. The product worked quite well too. I washed my face with a Basis bar and then applied it liberally morning and night.

Feel free to ask more.

Just an update: It's been a month since I started using Clindamycin, and I have noticed a slight redness to my skin after I apply it. I'm keeping at it, though, because it seems to be gradually improving my complexion. I have half the amount of zits I had before - now my cheeks/chin are clear (despite many red marks).

I seem to be getting two new zits on my forehead, but they feel very flat. One thing I noticed since using Clindamycin is that most zits seem to be half the size of what I used to get. I'm planning on using Clindamycin for another month - at this rate, it's *slowly* clearing my face, so I'm hoping another month will do it. I'm ordering a face lightener tomorrow for my facial redness and red marks, so I'll post an update on how that goes in another few weeks. :)

Clindamycin works really well. It comes in many different forms, you can try asking your doctor or derm to prescribe it to you in a cream if you find it too irritating. I only apply it to where I'm breaking out or if I feel a pimple coming in, seems to stop the acne right in its tracks.

which form are you using?

as iv had the alcholic based (ethanol) solution which is really drying and causes redness, but i know galderma (same people that make differin) manufacture a 1% clindamycin gel. which is water based, and its called Clindagel.

you could try this as you live in the US, i dont think the UK has the 1% gel as its a US product only. Personally i liked it (used it when i was in US visiting family) and it actually didnt dry my skin during the day (i used a moisturiser, i always do) and then i applied differin at night.

my skin actually was glowing :) not from being shiny, but looked great.

http://www.galderma.com/Dyn.asp?rub=38

Ow! My face is currently experiencing a burning attack from Clindamycin (actually Benzaclin). But I think the irritator for me is the 5% benzoyl peroxide it's mixed with. Oddly enough, after using this Benzaclin/ Differin XP combo for about a week, my comedos seem to have cleared up almost completely. I couldn't get rid of the ones around my chin for years! And this did it in a week. Needless to say, I am stoked. Can't wait to see how the Differin improves things.

My facial redness is pretty much gone now, but the only thing I've changed has been getting a gentle Cetaphil cleanser and only washing twice a day. Maybe the Clindamycin didn't irritate it at all, or maybe my skin's getting used to it? Anyway, I only have two zits now and a lot of small, clogged pores (mostly on my nose). Coincidentally, my nose is the driest part of my face, so I'm guessing it's dead skin that may be clogging up my pores. I've starting moisturizing, so we'll see.

P.S. I'm using Clindamycin Phosphate in Lotion form (Cleocin T 1% Lotion).

hey i'm using Clindamycin phosphate lotion too

started using for 10 days now

and using along with Tazorac +Minocycline

i'm not sure if i should put additional moisturizer on because the clindamycin is in lotion form already

hey i'm using Clindamycin phosphate lotion too

started using for 10 days now

and using along with Tazorac +Minocycline

i'm not sure if i should put additional moisturizer on because the clindamycin is in lotion form already