Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

is it jsut me or does anyone else do this.... when you have a really bad day u think ur skin is like super bad even though its not. but when u have a good day... u think ur skin looks ok...

For the past 5-6 years, every day has been a killer and has taken away just another amount of time from my life.

Living with acne is hard. Other people may have physical problems but it's not residing on their face for the whole world to see!

I've gone through phases of ok skin and bad breakouts. Most of the time I'm in severe breakout mode where you are constantly touching your skin, looking in the mirror to see if you've been walking around all day with a monster white-head greeting every passerby. It's awful, so I can sympathize with your pain. Having a bad day just makes it that much worse, it becomes an obsession. I've been on Accutane now for about 40 days, though, so I'm hoping to not have to deal with it much longer. It would be nice to have good skin....

is it jsut me or does anyone else do this.... when you have a really bad day u think ur skin is like super bad even though its not. but when u have a good day... u think ur skin looks ok...

Sometimes when Im alone (like just before bedtime), I try to reflect on my day, then it suddenly hits me: I spent a ridiculous amount of time I reading these boards and trying to fix my skin up; I become totally BAFFLED at how bad things (not just the physical aspects but also the mental aspects due to acne) really are sometimes. I cant believe that this is the life that I'm ACTUALLY LIVING, instead of using this life doing bigger and more rewarding things. To have decent normal skin is like... having a pair of eyes or a pair of hands, but for some of us its slowly sinking in that its almost impossible to picture one day walking down the street and not think about how another what another person thinks when they see those marks on your face. I cant even enjoy my meals when im out with friends at some restaurant because Im constantly trying to picture that wonderful day in the future when my face will be the way it used to be once again.

Yes, it's called Acne Dysmorphia. Even once you get clear you will look at your skin and think it looks terrible, as the pain and memories of looking and seeing your face smothered in zits remain, even 4 years post tane i don't turn the bathroom light on when i wash my face, there's nothing really inherently wrong with my skin (some minor scars, perhaps some random redness or a small spot here and there) but i just can't face turning around and looking in the mirror, scares the shit outta me.

if i think hey my skin looks ok, then i trot along throughout the day (it's never a GOOD day. some are just NOT AS BAD as others). then i use a bathroom at school (w/ that bastard neon lighting) and i'm like, DUDE...FUCK! and then my trot is gone. and it's back to baseline. and then i take a deep breath, and i think, 'let's do this'

Yes, it's called Acne Dysmorphia. Even once you get clear you will look at your skin and think it looks terrible, as the pain and memories of looking and seeing your face smothered in zits remain, even 4 years post tane i don't turn the bathroom light on when i wash my face, there's nothing really inherently wrong with my skin (some minor scars, perhaps some random redness or a small spot here and there) but i just can't face turning around and looking in the mirror, scares the shit outta me.

I sometimes think my skin is bad. lately i don't have problems looking at my face anymore at school and so on. DKR really is amazing i'm on week 4 now..

I think as someone said before on the forums that if you don't think about it all the time it will be easier to handle acne!

Wow I didn't know there was a name for this! I really think that I have this problem. I was feeling super insecure this weekend and called my ex husband, who I'm good friends with now, and told him that when I look in the mirror I see a crater face. And is that what he sees. And he says no. And I kept asking him over and over again and he kept saying no, that's not what he sees. I just keep wondering what my face really looks like, because I keep suspecting that I am distorting it because it looks different to me depending on the day. I know I have scars, I can see and feel the texture change and the massive loss of tissue from the 3 nodules I had. But I just wonder if they are as bad as I see them. I wish I could stop doing this because it really affects my confidence.

I just looked this up on wikipedia. It sure sounds like me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysmorphia

lol! i can totally relate! hadn't had a real breakout in weeks and suddenly yesterday i get three HUGE zits! one on my lower cheek, one right below my nostrils (WTF!) and the best one...right smack dab in the middle of my forehead (NICE!). i kind awish it was a break out...but noooo they had to be the rebellious type and just be the three amigos...

:confused:

Tearless